The Law Teaches Me A Lesson,

$uPeRJjS&#0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

This week my mum recieved two emails from my ISP saying that I have been infriging the rules or something like that.
It was my first time ever to download a torrent this year and my first download for 2010 gives me an infrigement notice.

I was so excited to get COD BO that i forgot about buying it and i end up downloading it.

Activision is mean that they tracked me down two times but my ISP doesn't give info to companies unless there is a court order (hope not)

I read the messages properly and noticed my IP was different to the other letter.

I googled a bit and found out that my ISP gives different IP all day.

Since Activision tracked me down and doesn't know that the two IP's they found are me. You reckon they will file a court order or just can't be bother, unless i had the same IP and activision found it was me the whole time then would they be bothered to?

My mum was yelling at me and so was my dad hmm so yeh, since i first downloaded my first torrent for 2010, I should probably stop forever.

What do you guys think?

OR
Has this similarly happened to you before?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You won't get took to court for downloading a game. Worst case scenario is you will get your connection cut off. If you uploaded the game that's a different story.

$uPeRJjS&#0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
HAHA well I was scared so I deleted it.

My ISP does two warnings and I get cut off, I already got the two warnings
ohnoes.png

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im so glad this shit doesn't happen here.

no real copyright laws or whatever they are exist here... were too busy trying to maintain ourselves from falling into civil war.

also yeah not much to worry, such offenses and letters will only lead to your ISP cutting you off; so you just subscribe to another one

i hear cases were people had to even change phone lines or house since their whole line was "blacklisted" ... moral of this story dnt download torrents, they're unsecure.

if i were you, look and google around you will find big major releases on upload sites like megaupload, jsut grab them from there.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
thegame07 said:
You won't get took to court for downloading a game. Worst case scenario is you will get your connection cut off. If you uploaded the game that's a different story.

When you use a torrent, you're uploading the game as well. I've never known anyone get any kind of warning, anywhere, for just downloading.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BlueStar said:
thegame07 said:
When you use a torrent, you're uploading the game as well.
And that's why I never use torrents...
(Other than it eating more bandwidth)

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
thegame07 said:

When you use a torrent, you're uploading the game as well. I've never known anyone get any kind of warning, anywhere, for just downloading.

Yeah I know but nothing happens to you! unless your the actually the one who dumped it and spread it around. They won't do anything to someone whos just downloading a torrent! there would be millions of court cases if that was the case.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Popular torrents on easy to find sites are often "tracked".

Yes, your IP may change, but your ISP has all the records, and they KNOW it was assigned to you at the time and they WILL give the info to the FBI/court if it's requested, so don't think it's just a bluff. The ISP is sending you a warning letter because it's in their best interest to comply with the law, but it's ALSO in their best interest to not cut off your service because if they do you stop paying them, so they give a warning first.

thegame07 said:
Yeah I know but nothing happens to you! unless your the actually the one who dumped it and spread it around. They won't do anything to someone whos just downloading a torrent! there would be millions of court cases if that was the case.
When you download through a file-sharing program people can download from you as well. The uploading IS how they get you, read some of the court cases.

They don't go after everybody because it takes a lot of time and money to get somebody into court for this, so they just do a few people every so often to make an example out of them.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
thegame07 said:
BlueStar said:
thegame07 said:

Wrong
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...urn-courts.html

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
thegame07 said:
BlueStar said:
thegame07 said:

Wrong
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...urn-courts.html

Wow! a whole 300 out of the millions doing it! whats the chances? 1 in 50 million? I didn't say it wasn't possible to take you to court but there's more chance of getting hit by lightning. Also when I said uploading I obviously wasn't meaning p2p.

I rephrase my post because we have people who have to scrutinize every single thing. To the op you should be scared infact because there is a 1 in a million chance you will be sued.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not to long ago a friend told me he read that they start even tracking you back for downloading stuff at rapidshare and such, and that you can even get big problems for only downloading without uploading anything.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Youkai said:
not to long ago a friend told me he read that they start even tracking you back for downloading stuff at rapidshare and such, and that you can even get big problems for only downloading without uploading anything.

What was his evidence for this? Any news article or anything? Or just something he'd heard? Iv'e never ever seen anyone get even an ISP letter for just downloading, and when news reports say a "downloader" has been fined/sued/cut off you always find out in the srticle they were torrenting and therefore uploading as well.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Avoiding tracked torrents is pathetically simple.
Read the comments for the torrent, problem solved. If something is tracked people scream it from the treetops.

I've never had problems, and I doubt I ever will. They don't do anything anyways. I have a buddy with Telus and he just occasionally gets a phonecall (dude is like a tracked-torrent magnet...moron). All he says is "I have no idea what you're talking about, maybe my neighbor is stealing my internet again." and that's it. He's been called like 10 times and they just say "well you should secure your internet." or something along those lines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: