The Last of Us to be adapted into a feature film

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by RikuCrafter, Mar 6, 2014.

1. RikuCrafter
    OP

RikuCrafter GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

Deadline has revealed that a live action adaption of Naughty Dog's 2013 blockbuster PS3-exclusive is in development. Names attached to the project include Sam Raimi, and the film will be written by Neil Druckmann, leaving the film with the same writer as the game.
    Will it go well? I think so, especially with Neil at the helm. I hope they take the film in a different direction, and they don't just adapt the game.

:arrow: Source

2. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Oh, this is going to be hilarious. So many people love hating on the game for being overrated because it's popular.
    Could be good. But in two-three years when this is released most will have gone on from this game.

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So who's going to be the cast of us?

shakirmoledina and pokefloote like this.
  4. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The game was already a better movie than it was a game. Knowing Hollywood, though, they'll throw out the story and make up a generic one of their own and slap The Last Of Us on the title.

Edit: didn't notice they were keeping the game's writer as the movie's writer, so maybe it won't get the typical Hollywood treatment.

5. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Ben Affleck as Joel and Shia LaBeouf as Ellie.

6. Dork

Dork Newbie

I don't understand, why wasn't this a fucking film in the first place? There was nothing special about it from a gameplay perspective and it really was just a big cinematic.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Or they could buddy up with Universal, cast Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson, and call it "The Fast Of Us." Tagline: They're driving us... to extinction!

Instant box office smash guaranteed.

8. GamerSince83

GamerSince83 West Coast Pimpin'

Banned
    Feb 15, 2014
    United States
    On The Wild Plains of the Interweb...
    Obviously they gotta get Ellen Paige as she was/is the Inspiration for Ellie.........Mmmmm Fungus

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    can hollywood stoop any lower?

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The story was the strong point of the game anyway. A film could work very well. Though honestly the ending was abysmally bad and rushed. I recall hearing this is supposed to be a multi-part story and this was only the beginning, but all the same the ending just shouldn't sit right with anybody who even half-paid attention to Ellie's character.

11. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Too old

GamerSince83 likes this.
  12. GamerSince83

GamerSince83 West Coast Pimpin'

Banned
    Feb 15, 2014
    United States
    On The Wild Plains of the Interweb...

Oohh Burn :rofl2: maybe they can bust some CG magic attach her face to a younger body ala Steve Rogers in Captain America

13. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I know nothing about this game series, never owned a PS3. I'm not even sure why I clicked on this link... fate perhaps? Maybe it was just the catchy title?

I do not know, but I quickly saw Sam Raimi's name and I was both excited and overcame with dread.

Excited because Sam has been hired to do a horror film. Dread thinking that this might further delay Army of Darkness II, then I saw that it's going to be produced under his Ghost House studios. Again, I know nothing about the game, seems to me the only good Horror adventures are Lovecraftian Horror adventures, but the others have their charm, maybe this one does too? Hopefully the film is something unique, I'm tired of Hollywood trends. If it doesn't strive to be a good quality film, then it doesn't need filmed at all.

GamerSince83 likes this.
  14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Not really meant to be an insult. Ellie's supposed to be 13 years old, and Ellen Page is 27. She's literally twice Ellie's age. Gotta find someone that could at least pass for 13.

15. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    They should've have made this In to a Tv series first instead... of this ya know just in case I have interest in the show, and not have doubts with this movie ( Which I highly have), but hey at least its my favorite movie director Sam Rami in it, so I'll give it a shot.

16. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    I don't have a PS3, so this is perfect.

17. Delta517

Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Nov 25, 2008
    Norway
    Called it, but I loved the game, so I'm still excited to how this turns out. They literally have a whole universe to explore, but I hope the movie still focuses on Joel and Ellie :)

18. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    There was a fan-made movie that even got a kickstarter project for its third part. it was quite good and everything in the story line & dialogues corresponded to the game.
    they havent got a big job other than setting up the stage and characters. storyline, dialog and concept is completely there.

19. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    inb4 people start complaining about Sam Raimi's :bortz: movies

I heard this was a really good game, so maybe it'll be a good movie.

20. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So basically they're going to make a summary of a let's play video? :tpi:

But on a more serious note: while I'm almost as skeptic on movies based on video games as I am as video games based on movies, I have to say that this will (most likely) be above average. Sam Raimi is pretty decent, and that they've kept the same writer is also a good sign. :)