The Last of Us Part II sells over 4 million in 3 days

"We’re delighted to report that The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling first-party PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21. This milestone would not have been reached without the support from our amazing fans, so on behalf of everyone at SIE, thank you!"

By comparison, Spiderman was the previous record holder with 3.3 million in 3 days. The Last of Us 2 obliterated Spiderman and is now the best selling PlayStation exclusive ever.

ellie.png

Neil Druckmann, Vice President of Naughty Dog and Director of The Last of Us Part II, wanted to share this message with you all:

"We are so immensely grateful to the millions of fans around the world that have played The Last of Us Part II and shared their experiences with us over the last week. We set out to tell a new kind of story, one that deals with difficult themes and would challenge you in unexpected ways. Hearing how the experience has resonated with so many of you and witnessing the type of thoughtful discussions it has sparked has been so incredible. We’ve also been so inspired by your creativity — whether it’s your gorgeous Photo Mode shots, jaw-dropping gameplay GIFs, or the songs you’ve recorded using Ellie’s guitar.

The Last of Us Part II was made possible thanks to the efforts of the hundreds of talented and passionate developers here at Naughty Dog. We can imagine no greater honor than seeing that same passion mirrored by the people playing it. Thank you for helping us reach this amazing milestone."

:arrow: Source: PS Blog

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
They play a big role. The fans who played the first game and are hyped for the second will want to buy soon. The people who didn't play will be going through the games before, specially if story driven. Their first few days measured fan reception to a certain length, but of course it will be seen better in the long run. For the rest of the people, we'll have to wait and see, but beating records tends do be a fine indicator.

Uncharted 4 is a good comparison because it's a sequel, it's the forth, but with the trilogy remastered, is an honorary second game, had a similar fall and ended up selling 16 million in the long run.

As for God of War, it's more like a soft reboot, many just played it without touching the old games.

I do understand your opinion and i am not trying to dismiss it. I just can't see how Naughty Dog compares LOU2 to Uncharted 4. First, LOU2 is in the end cycle of the PS4, which means more people have PS4s now than when Uncharted4 released. Second, Uncharted 4 went free on the PS Plus. Means a lot of people got it even without paying a dime. It even was on PS Now. So, it's a bit unfair to compare the two

Reactions: pustal

Robika

Trophies
XP
Country
PLEASE STOP BUYING. YOU'RE TELLING NAUGHTY DOG THIS IS OKAY. IT ISN'T.
What is not okay?
A.- To make powerful female, and LGBTQ characters, complicated stories and subvert expectations with a twist on the formula?
B.- exploiting your staff is bad and you should let them have a life and spend time with their families?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What is not okay?
A.- To make powerful female, and LGBTQ characters, complicated stories and subvert expectations with a twist on the formula?
B.- exploiting your staff is bad and you should let them have a life and spend time with their families?
Actually only C: writing that feels cheap like a soap opera, but I guess you can make a case on B too.

Reactions: RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What is not okay?
Actually only C: writing that feels cheap like a soap opera, but I guess you can make a case on B too.
Also,
D) Subvert expectations by ruining everything the first game built up, and providing a twist by cruelly murdering Joel and villainising the playable heroine.

Reactions: Deleted User

Robika

Trophies
XP
Country
Also,
D) Subvert expectations by ruining everything the first game built up, and providing a twist by cruelly murdering Joel and villainising the playable heroine.
Every story has 2 sides, the game shows you what your actions mean to your "ENEMIES", in Uncharted you kill hundreds of mercenaries, what about their families and friends? They will want to kill Nathan Drake, to bring justice to the murderer of Kyle the mercenary who could not find a job as a baker and had to take a job as security personnel.

The last of us even though the writing could be better, makes you responsable for the acts of violence you commit in the name of JUSTICE, but what about those doctors who were trying to safe mankind, by making a sacrifice? Who will bring justice to their killers? No heroes or heroines in this game. Everybody has done terrible things to survive. The world is savage.

People are not confortable looking at the consequences of their actions, the moment we are submitted to the ugly side of things, we tap out in rage and complain, and find excuses. Naughty Dog made you look at how your violence and murderous crusade affects the lives of those, who lose their loved ones. Apply that to, how we treat animals and our home planet. It is a great lesson, about how we are used to live in the dark in our cushy cookie cutter world.

That is all I have to say, I don't want to change your mind, but I feel that people made up some theories and put a lot of expectations on this game, and when it differed from their view, they got mad. Don't get me started on the homophobic comments those are totally idiotic complains of insecure stupid people. Just as it happened with The Last Jedi. You have the right to dislike the game, and to express yourself. So does the people who loved it.

Reactions: Jonna

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I do understand your opinion and i am not trying to dismiss it. I just can't see how Naughty Dog compares LOU2 to Uncharted 4. First, LOU2 is in the end cycle of the PS4, which means more people have PS4s now than when Uncharted4 released. Second, Uncharted 4 went free on the PS Plus. Means a lot of people got it even without paying a dime. It even was on PS Now. So, it's a bit unfair to compare the two

I think these numbers are only physical copies sales. At least TLU2 are.

Reactions: Seita
D

Deleted User

What is not okay?
A,- Because it disrespects one of the most engaging characters and character dynamics in all of video games
B,- It fails to fully build upon much of the first game's foundations (much, not all)
C,- It fails to capitalize on the PS4's, and even worse the Pro's, abilities by not performing or looking the part (occasionally), despite PROBABLY being one of the system's final major releases.
D,- Boring, often contrived gameplay sections (which are the majority of the gameplay, btw)

Hmm, I wonder why some people don't like this game. I wonder...

Robika

Trophies
XP
Country
A,- Because it disrespects one of the most engaging characters and character dynamics in all of video games
B,- It fails to fully build upon much of the first game's foundations (much, not all)
C,- It fails to capitalise on the PS4's, and even worse the Pro's, abilities by not performing or looking the part (occasionally), despite PROBABLY being one of the system's final major releases.
D,- Boring, often contrived gameplay sections (which are the majority of the gameplay, btw)

Hmm, I wonder why some people don't like this game. I wonder...
Hey there mate!
Can you elaborate on the A answer how does this disrespect Joel? From a narrative point of view Joel was dead the moment he lied to Ellie at the end of The Last of Us Part I. He had been selfish, and dishonest to the person he mostly cared about. In any media that is a red flag. Every time this happens in a movie, book, game or TV show there are repercussions. If not, that moment lacks meaning. There is no pay off. I think you are wrong in saying that it fails to build on the first game. Since it all comes down to what Joel did in the first game. Your actions have consequences. In most games you are never held accountable for the lives you take. The people you murder. Violence is glorified, vengeance is cool. The more creative you are killing the better you are playing.

This game builds on the guilt of all that. Ellie and Joel are held accountable for their actions you actions since you controlled them. People complain a lot about one dimensional bad guys who are evil for evil's sake. Well when a "" villain is complicated and deep, and it makes you question, well the hero might not be that heroic.

It all comes down to empathy. It may sound stupid, but we as humans now need empathy more than ever. And in the world of The Last of Us, empathy is the first thing to go when the zamby apocalypse begins. Or covid, look at the people who refuse to maintain security standards. They might not be in risk of death but those close to them who are old or sick might pay with their lives. But noooooo, cause a peace of fabric on my face is unconfy.

Cyberpunk is still coming to PS4. So not the last release. I always say that complaining about graphics means you might need to play PC games. PS4 is 7 years old. This game and God of War milk it pretty hard. Be thankful it runs.

PS. I am thankful that no one here has gone on to complain any of the LGBTQ or Abby has this and that body. I am glad we can discuss this in a civilised and peaceful way.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
PS. I am thankful that no one here has gone on to complain any of the LGBTQ or Abby has this and that body. I am glad we can discuss this in a civilised and peaceful way.
Because that isn't the problem (though admittedly I personally don't find masculine girls appealing) - the problem is the dreadful plot. This includes just how bland and unnecessary Abby is, and how needless Joel's grisly death is, along with the utter fixation on gore, and how it conflicts with the first game's motif ('even in the darkest of times, there's a light to provide hope') - while also failing to really improve the gameplay in any significant way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Cyberpunk is still coming to PS4. So not the last release. I always say that complaining about graphics means you might need to play PC games. PS4 is 7 years old. This game and God of War milk it pretty hard. Be thankful it runs.
Oh, and Persona 5 Royal and Marvel's Spider-Man look fantastic on the PS4, by the way; they're the two most appealing games on the system, in terms of gameplay, plot, and visual spectacle, in my book.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
What happened to your PS4? Did it get laid off, and become sick and tired of the overly-competitive job market, never getting contacted regardless of how many resumes it sent out?
It's stuck on a firmware just above the current exploitable firmware, on kiosk mode. The only way to revert it to regular mode is by using the exploit to flash a firmware on it, but alas, I must wait until the current private exploit becomes public to use the PS4.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
D

Deleted User

Hey there mate!
Can you elaborate on the A answer how does this disrespect Joel? From a narrative point of view Joel was dead the moment he lied to Ellie at the end of The Last of Us Part I. He had been selfish, and dishonest to the person he mostly cared about. In any media that is a red flag. Every time this happens in a movie, book, game or TV show there are repercussions. If not, that moment lacks meaning. There is no pay off. I think you are wrong in saying that it fails to build on the first game. Since it all comes down to what Joel did in the first game. Your actions have consequences. In most games you are never held accountable for the lives you take. The people you murder. Violence is glorified, vengeance is cool. The more creative you are killing the better you are playing.

This game builds on the guilt of all that. Ellie and Joel are held accountable for their actions you actions since you controlled them. People complain a lot about one dimensional bad guys who are evil for evil's sake. Well when a "" villain is complicated and deep, and it makes you question, well the hero might not be that heroic.

It all comes down to empathy. It may sound stupid, but we as humans now need empathy more than ever. And in the world of The Last of Us, empathy is the first thing to go when the zamby apocalypse begins. Or covid, look at the people who refuse to maintain security standards. They might not be in risk of death but those close to them who are old or sick might pay with their lives. But noooooo, cause a peace of fabric on my face is unconfy.

The game disrespects Joel by not giving enough time to the lasting effects of his death. On paper, Joel dying is a fantastic concept (for storytelling purposes, I'm not a monster), and that's the main reason why I'm dissapointed on that. I also want to remind you that I said this would be ONE of the last major releases, not the absolute last ones. And saying that I need to buy a PC to expect better performance is bullshit. No, I shouldn't have to. I won't be thankful that it runs. If this is one of the last major releases (which it is), than I have all the more reasons to expect better performance, as the devs have had 7 years to optimize for PS4. I'm not even just talking about the base console, either. I can understand why a 30fps cap exists on the base console, but Pro should bump that up to a 60fps. If someone bought the system for better performance, so when I play this big budget, triple-A, modern game, I should expect that.

Robika

Trophies
XP
Country
The game disrespects Joel by not giving enough time to the lasting effects of his death. On paper, Joel dying is a fantastic concept (for storytelling purposes, I'm not a monster), and that's the main reason why I'm dissapointed on that. I also want to remind you that I said this would be ONE of the last major releases, not the absolute last ones. And saying that I need to buy a PC to expect better performance is bullshit. No, I shouldn't have to. I won't be thankful that it runs. If this is one of the last major releases (which it is), than I have all the more reasons to expect better performance, as the devs have had 7 years to optimize for PS4. I'm not even just talking about the base console, either. I can understand why a 30fps cap exists on the base console, but Pro should bump that up to a 60fps. If someone bought the system for better performance, so when I play this big budget, triple-A, modern game, I should expect that.
I understand you opinion is totally valid. They might add pro update later, I feel they had to rush a lot. You are right Pc thing was out of line and I am sorry. Polish in this game might have been sacrificed to release the game on time. I hope they fix that in the near future.

The problem with the 7 year development is that the game might have gotten to big to optimise on time for release. They had various delays. It is not hurting the game directly, but I understand how Pro owners may feel betrayed. I felt upset that only 2 retail games released exclusively for the New 3DS line. I payed 40€ more than the rest.

Have a great night! Or day depending on time zone!

Reactions: Deleted User

Zurdonx

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
"It's a story about right and wrong written by people who thinks they're always right. This was said by a Japanese fan and it puts it perfectly."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse