The Last Air-bender

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by sonknuck23, Jun 29, 2010.

Jun 29, 2010

The Last Air-bender by sonknuck23 at 4:08 AM (2,658 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    So my loveleh girlfriend got 2 tickets to the 3D pre-premiere or whatever you call it of The Last Air-bender. Her boss gave them to her. However, a friend of ours said he's willing to buy it off of us for 25$, that way we could use the money to go see a different movie.

So, is it worth it? I'm just wondering (for fun) what your guys' opinions of the movie are, so I can sort of base my decision off of it (also just for general conversation and fun, but I figure the movie is. . . sort of a big deal? I'm not actually sure.)

2. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    This movie is something I've been crazy about since the first trailer. I loved the series and I created a thread about this a couple of times. I'm sure it will be amazing in 3D. Tell us how it goes.

Also to those who watched the series, note that the names will be slightly altered because of international release and getting rid of the "American" accent. Sokka will not be pronounced "Sock-a" it will be pronounced "Soak-uh". I heard they will spell the names correctly though. Where am I getting this info? Link. Look at the interviews of the main characters. they will pronounce it as stated. Also the trailers that are there are amazing.

Nicola Peltz interview Here she says "Soak-a" & "Ong" (Aang)

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The reviews for this have been downright awful. Like really bad. Everything from special effects to acting to story telling to the action is supposed to be horrible and just a mockery of the cartoon. I'm actually downloading the cartoon at the moment so I can go see that, then maybe torture myself with this movie so I can see how bad it is. But yeah, I wouldn't see it. Many people are calling it the end of Shyamalan's career, if he actually had anything past Signs and The Sixth Sense.

The 3D is also supposed to be completely useless and really nothing but a cheap excuse to jack up the ticket price and get the gullible 3D addicts in. Definitely not Avatar (the James Cameron Avatar) quality.

4. distorted.freque

Member distorted.freque I'm getting mixed signals here!

Canada
    Just watched it yesterday, actually. Pretty damn pissed with the movie. >_< Every good point that the show had, from its wonderful characterizations to its brilliant mythology was ruined by the movie. I think I would have fallen asleep halfway through the movie, if it weren't for the sound of my friend facepalming rather loudly every time we heard their names being said.

I'd rage about the technical problems of this movie, but right now, I'm too numb to care.

5. shaosam

Newcomer shaosam Advanced Member

United States
    [​IMG]

Worst. Movie. Ever.

It has an aggregate score of TWENTY on Metacritic. That is 20 out of 100.

I would sell those tickets in a heartbeat.

6. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    LOLOLOL. You're too funny!

Yeah, this is actually the first Rotten Tomatoes rating I've seen in the single digits. Even the Twilight Series got better rankings than this.

I'm just really sad and disappointed that this movie didn't give the cartoon justice. Is there a possibility for a remake in the future?

7. distorted.freque

Canada
    Hahaha. It's true though. I was trying hard not to burst into laughter because of that. *thump* xD The movie wasn't even funny. The only reason I laughed was because it reminded me of these:

Who do they want before they want an Asian?
    A Persian or a Cajun, or an Indian or an American
    Indian,
    Played by a Mexican,
    Or, if you're lucky, someone Asian
    Like me.

If there's one thing I learned in the movie, it's that Indians are evil. xP No offense. LOL.

EDIT: Never worked with youtube links before. My bad. ^^;; First one. Second one.

8. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Usually I don't pay attention to movie reviews because they always find something to bitch and whine about even with legitimately good movies. But this was just awful. Avatar was one of my favorite cartoons and they just ruined every aspect of it in less than 2 hours. 3D was shitty too it was just "hey I pop out every once in a while."

9. distorted.freque

Canada
    ^This. I was horrified the first hour, and laughing like a crazed maniac the second half. >_>

I wish they make a remake of this someday. With proper actors and a director who respects the show. >':

10. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Guess I wont be watching this movie.. that sucks since I've been waiting for this even before the Avatar was

11. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Compare the show to the movie it bad

Just for being a movie it alright, "Aung" the air Bender the Movie could have been better.

A fan made one probably would have be much better, it would have be better then alright it would have been great!!! [​IMG]

12. Hakoda

United States
    I saw it two days ago. In comparison to the series, the movie was pretty bad. Was it me or did it take them like 30 seconds of random martial arts to bend something? How the hell do they fight like that? And why the hell would firebenders need a source of fire, they just spontaneously combust it [​IMG]

As for actor selection, Sokka is perfect. Katara is pretty good. Aang would be better if they allowed him to do cooler things. Zuko is downright horrible. Iroh is okay. Zhao & Ozai are idiots. Azula looks weird O.o

The story was tilted a little bit in comparison to the series so it was a little weird.

Animation & special affects were bad. Bending and fighting needs to happen faster. Like when fights with no bending, just pure martial arts, happen THAT should be a bending battle cuz those are swift and exciting. The sets were awesome.

Names are fine because its an international movie so the American accent needs to be removed. For example, in the series they pronounced Appa without an American accent; it wasn't pronounced "ay-pa". They just applied that to the other names.

In my opinion, Katara needs to STOP voicing over the story. I know she does that in the beginning of each episode as an opening, but not during the story. Let the story tell itself, spend more time on significant events. Its okay if its a 2 hour+ movie, JC's Avatar was. And it was good.

Also just as a side note, Zhao talking about how discovered that "sacred library" got annoying after he stated it like the 5th time, we got the message the first time.

Also if possible make it more EPICCCCCC. More awesome Avatar State, yes?

Just my two cents.

13. KingVamp

United States
    Sokka seem to serious :/ Compare to the cartoon. Azula is to young in the movie. They could had someone look like more like Zuko ,but the acting was alright. The Moon spirit girl was great btw [​IMG]

14. Hakoda

United States
    Oh yes how could I forget Yue. She was also perfect. There was a very well-exposed chemistry between Sokka & Yue. To me, Sokka was the only one that made me laugh during the movie. The series had a bunch of comical relief and I believe Sokka in the movie best expressed that. I also concur about the Zuko acting; the acting was there but he doesn't exactly capture the personality and essence of Zuko. Not epic enough [​IMG] The scar is also barely noticeable.

15. KingVamp

United States
    Maybe I'm being a little to hard on Sokka character 'cause he did had some funny parts [​IMG]

16. Guild McCommunist

United States
    I saw this movie. Fuck it was terrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen. Period.

First off, the acting. Downright awful. Wanna know how they found the actor for Aang? Some kid shaved his head, did kung fu, made a video, and sent it to the film makers. No joke. And they cast him. The kid was about as good as acting as you were at your 5th grade play. But he wasn't nearly as bad as whoever the fuck played Saka (however you spell it) and Katara. They should never go into filming, even as an extra. Even the bigger name actors were bad. Dev Patel, from goddamn OSCAR WINNER Slumdog Millionaire was awful. He was about as dramatic as John Travolta in Battlefield Earth. The best actor was probably Aasif Mandvi. AASIF FUCKING MANDVI. Wanna know what he does for a living? He's a comedian and is a correspondent for the Daily Show. Well, this was a great joke of his.

Second, they butchered everything about Avatar outside of some of the plot elements (barely any) and the name. The characters were absolutely lifeless. Everybody was so goddamn serious in the movie while there's characters who plainly do comic relief in the cartoon. Saka, Ira, all of them were goddamn serious. Aang in the cartoon is a huge jokester, even when kicking ass. Here he's all straight foward. The only character "true" to his role was Zuko, and that's because he's always mopey as hell and pissed off in the cartoon. Everyone else had no depth, it was sucked from them. As for the plot, they tried condensing an entire season of Avatar into an under two hour movie. There's about 20 episodes in the first season, each is about 20 minutes long (usually more, like 22-23mins). That's like 6 hours of Avatar they tried putting into about a fourth of that. And the thing is, adapting an entire season into one movie is an awful idea. The whole show goes like any other show; they have a main quest but of course hop around on side adventures. It's like taking an entire season of Star Trek and trying to make a movie about it. It's impossible. They skipped on at least 3/4ths of the episodes and even the key plot points were muddled and jumbled. Also, what the fuck is up with the races in the movie. I understand Shaymalan wanted to put some Indian people in there, but it's still so goddamn jumbled. The Fire Nation in the show were ghostly pale. The Earth Nation was probably Indian, but they made them Asian. Like Chinese-Japanese-Korean Asian. The Water Nation, fuck I don't know. Half the characters were white and half of them were like Native American-Eskimo. And it was like some white kids and Native American parents. What the fuck. I didn't know they were so promiscuous all of the sudden.

Third off, the 3D was useless. I begged my friends to not see it in 3D but there wasn't another showing. So we payed the extra $4 or so. About a fourth of the way through the movie, I take my glasses off to see what it would look like, and it's only a bit blurry. But hardly noticeable. The only things that deserved to be in 3D were A) the intro, and B) THE FUCKING TITLES. Like the subtitles that show "Hey, this is the Southern Air Temple". NOTHING ELSE. There was a small bit of depth but it was completely tacked on and useless. It's not like JC's Avatar where there's a huge difference between 2D and 3D. It was just a way to take $4 more of your bucks, even though that movie deserved to pay me for making me sit through this shit storm.

The only slightly redeeming part were the special effects, but they were about on par with every other special effects heavy movie nowadays. Clash of the Titans and Avatar, being it's "3D brothers", Clash of the Titans was about equal and Avatar can beat it any day.

I seriously can't see how the makers of this movie could sit down, watch this defecation, and then say "Yeah, this looks good, let's send it off!" Everything is downright awful. And the balls for Shaymalan to put such an obvious cliffhanger for making another movie (there are 3 seasons of Avatar, you know), Jesus Christ. Shaymalan needed a big movie to help him back up. After The Sixth Sense and Signs, all his other movies got average to poor reviews. This was gonna put him back in the scene. But the level of amateur in this film makes Uwe Boll's work look like The Godfather.

On the plus side, it was so terrible that there was so many good freeze frame moments that a "DERP" caption could be added to. So if you find a good copy of it online (it's not worth the purchase people), skim through it, find the retarded faces (there's a lot of them, even more than the cartoon's silly faces), and add "DERP" captions to it.

Just don't see this movie. If you want to watch something good go pop in the first season of Avatar.

I dub this The Last Failbender. Odds are it'll end Shame-alan's career, so the title is fitting. This truly is the Last Failbending he'll be doing.

17. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    It GOT AN epic 8% on rottentomatoes [​IMG] Worse than Dragon Ball Evolution

18. GreatWisdom

Newcomer GreatWisdom Advanced Member

lol Didnt watch it but heard from a friend that it sucked. This makes me not want to watch it at all, but ill dl it when its leaked and check it out.
    nice review btw

19. KingVamp

United States
    How would you did the cliffhanger?

20. Guild McCommunist

United States
    You don't. Movies this bad don't deserve a cliffhanger.