The Kingdom Hearts games are headed to the Nintendo Switch through cloud streaming

kingdom-hearts-1-scaled.jpg

Announced today alongside the final character reveal for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was that Kingdom Hearts is coming to the Nintendo Switch. Three titles will be available, letting you catch up on all the series lore: Kingdom Hearts I.5+II.5 ReMIX, Kingdom Hearts II.8, and Kingdom Hearts III. These games will utilize cloud streaming to be playable on the Switch, rather than be straight up ports to the console. No release date was given.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get your frustration with it, but this is the only way one can feasibly play the likes of Kingdom Hearts 3 on the underpowered Switch, it's either a cloud version of the game for the system, or no version for the system at all.
I can understand, but....yes. I would much rather just not have an inferior "product", but mainly because of how it is presented and "sold". I fear it sets expectations this behaviour is acceptable for companies.

To put it better: If they're going to sell a service and not a game, then they need to present and sell it as a service. As is, it is misleading at best, anti-consumer at worst.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: felix.200

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I own all three on PS4, and the only game I've ever finished was 2.
I liked the Drive Forms; those were fun. Never could manage to beat the Org 13 rematches in that white challenge room, though.
I did start 1 and 3, but eeeeh, 1's Tarzan vine-swinging was so poorly coded it's :shit:, and 3 just didn't hold my interest.

Reactions: DudderButter

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Apart from the obvious ownership and long-term availability issues, it just feels like a bad idea with even worse execution. Will it truly be a one-time purchase or will they come up with some sort of recurring fee? Because maintaining servers for this will be a recurring cost. Also, imagine buying this and not being able to play on launch because the servers are overloaded, or having to wait in queue to access a single-player title.

As if wanting to "release" (in quotes because I personally don't see this as an actual release) the game on a platform without actually porting it to that platform wasn't greedy enough by itself, coming up with a scheme that may very well end up biting their own asses just sounds incredibly out of touch. Guess that's what the gaming industry looks like these days...

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apart from the obvious ownership and long-term availability issues, it just feels like a bad idea with even worse execution. Will it truly be a one-time purchase or will they come up with some sort of recurring fee? Because maintaining servers for this will be a recurring cost. Also, imagine buying this and not being able to play on launch because the servers are overloaded, or having to wait in queue to access a single-player title.

As if wanting to "release" (in quotes because I personally don't see this as an actual release) the game on a platform without actually porting it to that platform wasn't greedy enough by itself, coming up with a scheme that may very well end up biting their own asses just sounds incredibly out of touch. Guess that's what the gaming industry looks like these days...
I fully agree with you; I just can't help but feel sad about that truth.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am I the only person who doesn't even remotely like and care about this series?
Nah, there is plenty of us out there. The only thing I ever cared about it was the jokes I used to make about KH3 never coming out but instead they kept making remakes of the previous games.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingdom Hearts finally makes it, but at what cost....

They coulda made a killing releasing each game on their own one at a time but I guess the easy route covers the whole thing.
Wonder how long the servers will last.

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You know what is sad, if they see this sells "bad" they might go like: "Oh, it's not profitable on a Nintendo console."

NO. It's not so profitable because not everyone has access to stable internet connection, a console and buying a license to play the game, instead of actually porting it. Unless they plan to port them to the Next Generation Nintendo system, I see no reasonable positive results.

And I'm a Kingdom Hearts player. I have played and am caught up in the story with Kingdom Hearts, I enjoy the games, but this treatment does not bring joy.

Everything else in the Smash presentation was amazing though!

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How are you supposed to play them on the go then? What a bad decision.
Can't wait for their official 4G cloud gaming dongle, and of course, the official USB hub to go with that since there's only one port. Think how beautiful and practical the Switch will look with those attached!

Maybe that's how they're planning to make up for server costs, selling the mobile data you'll need to keep your portable console, you know, portable.

Reactions: felix.200

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol