1. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    You say that, but then there's Dragon Ball FighterZ. Games just don't get any prettier, and neither does anime.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I strive to differ:

Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  3. JuanMena

JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    Adding on that... not so long ago I played the game with my brother-in-law...
    I was on regular controls and he opted for E.O. mode.
    I choose Eagle and he played with Ultimate Rugal... so go figure...

Beat him easily dodging and returning his attacks :rofl2:

Last edited by JuanMena, Jan 21, 2021
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Okay, now get square enix to remake chrono trigger with the same style. Or better yet. All future episodes of Dragon Ball or games of dragon quest should look this way. :P

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jan 21, 2021
    Chary, Xzi and Silent_Gunner like this.
  5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    That comes awfully close, but it's the full 3D models in DBFZ that they somehow made to also look 2D which really do it for me. Both by Arc though, and I struggle to think of more than maybe two other developers who can match that level of visual brilliance.

Definitely gonna be adding Strive to my wishlist, but it doesn't have a Steam page yet for whatever reason.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. Silent_Gunner

United States
    DBFZ was made after Guilty Gear Xrd, which is when they did the trick of "making 3D models animate like 2D" and the dynamic camera angles and everything. Here's some of that in action!

Scott_pilgrim, lordelan and Xzi like this.
  7. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    I absolutely agree. I've been loving good sprites ever since I can remember.

Of course. I played the sh*t out of every single Street Fighter game (well except SF I of course lol, since that sucks).
    And while SF 2 looked very good back then, I was not speaking about it but the Remake (or Remaster?) of it that Capcom did for the Nintendo Switch. Look at this and tell me if that's beautiful or not (it even looks way better than SF 3):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SF 3 is still beautiful (and a wonderful game to play) and it comes close to these graphics but to me this is the most beautiful SF I've ever seen.

This indeed is a gem, among the 5 best fighting games ever and I can't be thankful enough for the fact that something like the Nintendo Switch exists, it's hackable, it has RetroArch, it has a Dreamcast core (Flycast) and that one runs this game perfectly well.

Edit @Silent_Gunner Guilty Gear is a great franchise too and an underrated one although I don't have a damn clue why.

From all non-sprite games, Dragonball Fighter Z is the only one that's really good looking and well made.
    Although even in this case I'd prefer "Hyper Dimension" (SNES) since it has got some good old sprites and a very unique feel to the game too. Still the devs of DBFZ did the anime more justice than any other anime game I've ever seen. They did all animations and camera angles and effects so well, it's really like we're actually playing the anime.

Last edited by lordelan, Jan 21, 2021
    Silent_Gunner and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  8. Silent_Gunner

United States
    I'm sorry, but those aren't high quality animations like what you saw with SF3. Those are just HD sprites layered over the originals without any new frames of animation to bring it up to the level of that game.

USF2 is literally just Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix with Evil Ryu and Violent Ken added to the roster.

Azael_inf and lordelan like this.
  9. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    You are absolutely right. USF2 is SSFIITHDR with two additional characters (that don't add much to the roster) and slightly better graphics. And yes, SF3 (and many other games released way before UFS2) indeed has many more animations.
    I was only talking about a direct screenshot comparison, nothing more, nothing less. And I'm not saying UFS2 is the best SF ever - although I could play it for hours. It's not even the best SF2 since they messed with the balance and hit boxes. Nevertheless it's beautiful.

10. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hi guys. I am thinking about getting this game, but I have a quick question before proceeding. I read in the Review that there are 58 Characters/Fighters? Are they all available from the start, or are some of them unlockable? Thoughts and help appreciated :)

11. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    You should be good with the Ultimate Edition. Find people around your area and just play and learn the game!

12. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Hey there, the second set of screenshots shows the roster from the start of the game. The Ultimate Edition comes with everyone unlocked :)

13. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    Yo fighting game content on here?
    Let's go.
    Who here actually plays fighting games competitive here? I sure as hell do.
    My main games are CVS2 and GGXX AC+R. Mostly online until I'm able to host my own local this year.

Silent_Gunner and cvskid like this.
  14. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Thanks for the info! Um, do you know how much storage the game takes on PS4/PS5? I am wanting to get the game, but am nearing my monthly data limit for ISP. Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

15. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    23.28GB currently, on my PS5, not including the PS4 bonus download themes.

AmandaRose and Skeet1983 like this.
  16. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I have played a few King of Fighters games they are okay but... is hard to explain, lets just say they have nothing to make me want to go back.

17. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    The sprite artwork was one of the main contributors for the almost demise of the saga. It's fairly common knowledge how hard the team was struggling in the latter pixelart games and the huge number of characters.
    XII looks great, because they rendered the characters and then made sprites out of the models.

Unfortunately, they went with a weird aesthetic that creates a divide between characters and backdrops. But the gameplay is good, at least.

Silent_Gunner and Azael_inf like this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Are there themes on ps5 or ps4 only? :unsure:

19. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    I still love my 2D fighters... Not sure I like 2.5 really.... I found this little gem this week

Street Fighter 2 deluxe
    Has ever 2D fighters in one game from all the classics you can think of from Capcom to Neo Geo ect ect.....

20. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

United States
    I'm not a pro fighter either, but I like to pick them up from time to time to mix up playing Smash with my friend. I picked up KoF 13 (the last 2D one) on a whim (and a Steam sale), and man I think KoF might be my favorite style of traditional fighter now. I'm not good at combos, but I love how smooth and natural the moves feel for each character. If XIV is anything like that, I'll have to try it out.
    As a few have already mentioned, I agree that SNK's 2D animation was great, and I kinda miss it. But I'm a sucker for smooth 2D animation, just my thing.

While doing some research on the series, I found the Neo Geo version of Match of the Millennium. Man that was fun! I didn't think it could get even more condensed to 2 buttons so well. Go check those ones out at some point, @Chary , as previously mentioned. They're just fun. Thanks for the review!

Silent_Gunner and Chary like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - impressions, Fighters, Ultimate