The Invention of Lying

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Llama Riot, Mar 4, 2010.

Mar 4, 2010

The Invention of Lying by Llama Riot at 2:08 AM (661 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Llama Riot
    OP

Banned Llama Riot Banned

United States
    Last week hulu made all 14 episodes of the original (UK) The Office available, I watched it as I am a huge fan of the (US) The Office and witnessed the comedic brilliance that is Ricky Gervais. I then came across The Invention of Lying. The Supporting cast was excellent: Jennifer Garner, Tina Fey, Loius C.K., Jonah Hill, Jeffery Tambor and Rob Lowe all turn in hilarious and convincing performances. The film explores an alternate reality in which humanity never developed the ability to lie and people compulsively state their exact thoughts and feelings. Much of the criticism of the film is concerned with unanswered questions, but this film is all about posing questions not giving answers. This is definitely something I will re-watch which has been a rare occurrence, considering the over-abundance of craptastic films released as of late. Overall I found The Invention of Lying to be thought provoking, at times hilarious, and a genuinly enjoyable experience.

2. Llama Riot
    OP

Banned Llama Riot Banned

United States
    PS - this is how you would abbreviate bullshit if bull was spelled with a P.
    Llama Riot

3. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I really liked the movie. Thought-provoking indeed, plus I am a huge fan of Louis C.K.
    It truly isn't especially remarkable but definitely worth watching at least once.
    Pretty much explains the entire world all at once it does.

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Great, will watch it. In the meantime I'd like to reccommend to you all The Ricky Gervais show, an animated version of the old podcast he had on Guardian Unlimited.

My review of the first episode:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    omg so the Ricky Gervais show is his Podcast... animated? I've never listened, much to the chagrin of many people recommending it to me. But i've heard it's brilliant. I should hit up both the 'cast and the show.

As for Invention Of Lying, i was half curious (i love the cast lineup... sans Jennifer Garner. But i can look past her), but heard horrible things... i suppose i'll give it a view based upon a few peoples thoughts here. Thanks [​IMG]