• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Illegal Immigration Non-Crisis in the USA

• Thread starter cots
  • Start date
  • Views 29,532
  • Replies 460
  • Likes 9

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What support structure, exactly? As I've been pointing out, what supports illegals most is the fact that they're able to find employment in this country regardless of their citizenship status. Fines mean nothing to businesses if they're offset by the amount of money they can save by undercutting minimum wage. The penalty for CEOs/business owners needs to be jail time. Instead we've got one such offender sitting in the White House, and he insures that other crony capitalists can continue to hire illegals with impunity, so it's no wonder nothing actually gets fixed. Republican voters are entirely too focused on the illegal immigrants themselves, and not on the reasons why they're willing to risk immigrating illegally.

Support structure mentioned in OP's post. He is correct in stating that most of the current systems here in the USA allow people to claim benefits without having to show ID.

W.r.t. your concerns about employment - the laws are already in place to handle this (see: federal minimum wage). Employers are able to circumvent it in the case of illegal immigrants as they effectively become non-persons existing outside the law. I'm sure that no immigrants want to be working for below minimum wage, either. But because of the way the current system works, they have no legal protection or leverage otherwise, and are also scared to go the the authorities in case they are deported. So nothing is reported and things continue to slip under the radar.

Allowing any and all to enter the country freely - with full legal protections - would solve this problem.

Last edited by PityOnU,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Support structure mentioned in OP's post. He is correct in stating that most of the current systems here in the USA allow people to claim benefits without having to show ID.
None that I'm aware of.

W.r.t. your concerns about employment - the laws are already in place to handle this (see: federal minimum wage). Employers are able to circumvent it in the case of illegal immigrants as they effectively become non-persons existing outside the law. I'm sure that no immigrants want to be working for below minimum wage, either. But because of the way the current system works, they have no legal protection or leverage otherwise, and are also scared to go the the authorities in case they are deported. So nothing is reported and things continue to slip under the radar.
As I said though, all we've got in place now are some fines for businesses that are found to be employing illegals. These fines mean nothing to businesses once they've grown to a certain size.

Allowing any and all to enter the country freely - with full legal protections - would solve this problem.
Sure, but if we're going to offer them all the same protections as citizens, at that point we might as well just offer a path to citizenship. This is something that even GWB proposed, but the rest of his party was vehemently against it.

Last edited by Xzi,

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but if we're going to offer them all the same protections as citizens, at that point we might as well just offer a path to citizenship. This is something that even GWB proposed, but the rest of his party was vehemently against it.

I think that's another discussion entirely.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think that's another discussion entirely.
Not really, offering them 'full legal protections' under the constitution is basically offering them citizenship without any strings attached. Whereas with a path to citizenship, there would be conditions which would have to be met before granting them those same legal protections.

As it stands now, we don't even offer the legal protections that are supposed to come with a request to be granted asylum. We aren't following our own laws.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, offering them 'full legal protections' under the constitution is basically offering them citizenship without any strings attached. Whereas with a path to citizenship, there would be conditions which would have to be met before granting them those same legal protections.

As it stands now, we don't even offer the legal protections that are supposed to come with a request to be granted asylum. We aren't following our own laws.

I think you are confusing "privileges of citizenship" with "basic rights"...

I don't think you need to be a citizen to be protected from, say, murder.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the homelessness rate, but one of the big driving forces is the income inequality crisis in the United States, and it's a continuing issue due to a failure of politicians at the federal level to do anything substantive about it.
Of the factors are Drug Abuse, Mental Health Issues, High Housing Costs made worse by government policies creating artificial scarcity, and limited employment opportunities.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...in-san-francisco-taxed-to-texas/#628c68316fba

Land Restriction laws inflate housing prices.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...lues-drive-wealth-concentration/#7d6127e34698

Texas has less land restriction laws compared to California and Houston’s average rent is $996 compared to $2,420 in Los Angeles. It contributes to homelessness. And California has higher homeless rates then Texas. California’s population is 39% larger then Texas but homeless rates are 512% larger.

The artificial scarcity in homes, unable to build new housing because of gov land restriction laws, combined with the huge influx of immigration leads to even more artificial scarcity and leads to even higher housing prices making the homeless problem worse.

Last edited by SG854,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of the factors are Drug Abuse, Mental Health Issues, High Housing Costs made worse by government policies creating artificial scarcity, and limited employment opportunities.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...in-san-francisco-taxed-to-texas/#628c68316fba

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...lues-drive-wealth-concentration/#7d6127e34698

Texas has less land restriction laws compared to California and Houston’s average rent is $996 compared to $2,420 in Los Angeles. It contributes to homelessness. And California has higher homeless rates then Texas. California’s population is 39% larger then Texas but homeless rates are 512% larger.

The artificial scarcity in homes, unable to build new housing because of gov land restriction laws, combined with the huge influx of immigration leads to even more artificial scarcity and leads to even higher housing prices making the homeless problem worse.
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the homelessness rate, but one of the big driving forces is the income inequality crisis in the United States, and it's a continuing issue due to a failure of politicians at the federal level to do anything substantive about it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think you are confusing "privileges of citizenship" with "basic rights"...

I don't think you need to be a citizen to be protected from, say, murder.
I mean yeah, you'd think they'd be granted basic human rights regardless of their situation. When we're cramming 150 people in cells designed to hold 30, however, it's obvious that many CBP agents are treating them as subhuman.

Shutting down the internet would be the fastest way to resolve any and all of the issues! PERIOD!
Silencing discussion about an issue doesn't make that issue go away, sorry.

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silencing discussion about an issue doesn't make that issue go away, sorry.

Once again you are correct,
but it would allow the real American loving patriots to get of their asses and take care of these matters physically if need be!
Everyone is too lazy to get of the damn couch and too worried about losing their jobs, their drugs and alcohol, their football, their video games,etc...
Once the internet gets shut off is when everyone (Including Liberals) will get pissed off to the point where everybody cracks!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is too lazy to get of the damn couch and too worried about losing their jobs, their drugs and alcohol, their football, their video games,etc...
Once the internet gets shut off is when everyone (Including Liberals) will get pissed off to the point where everybody cracks!
None of those things go away if the internet is shut down, though. And anarchy only introduces a whole new set of problems to solve.

Reactions: Lacius

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of those things go away if the internet is shut down, though. And anarchy only introduces a whole new set of problems to solve.

You are the one that mentioned anarchy, I'm talking flat out Civil War!!!
I won't start it, but I will be sure as the hell be proud to participate, and try to end it!

Last edited by Cylent1,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kicking the current ones out and not letting any more in, unless they did it legally, would also solve the problem. Illegal immigrants taking benefits meant for USA citizens isn't the only problem caused by them being here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The current way of life in California, specifically in their larger Liberal run cities, is a prime example of what happens when Liberalism is forced on the masses. Homelessness is one of the side effects to their superior way of life. Prove me wrong.

Last edited by cots,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The current way of life in California, specifically in their larger Liberal run cities, is a prime example of what happens when Liberalism is forced on the masses. Homelessness is one of the side effects to their superior way of life. Prove me wrong.
That's pretty easy to prove wrong considering California's economy is larger than many countries, it's the fifth largest economy in the world. With the exception of Texas, red states have to be subsidized by blue states.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted-401606

Illegal immigration is a problem because there is often times no registration of who is even in the country. Often times murderers that are illegal immigrants can hop the border once they are under pursuit and they are good as gone.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's just ignore the fact we (united states) screwed several countries nearby, funded terrorist groups to overthrow their government because we didn't like what they were doing.
yeah. It's completely their fault that we fucked up their home, caused problems where they lived, and then proceed to piss off and act like we didn't do anything.
To then when the problem comes back to us in the ass we decide to give the middle finger to them.
I think I rest my case, look at the states when the intermingled with other county affairs, you might learn something.

Let me teach you a quick history lesson. The United States was colonized by the English and Mexico was colonized by Spaniards. Before Mexico was colonized by Spaniards, the Aztec were sacrificing their own people and completely terrorizing other indigenous tribes like the Mayans. The Aztec actually had walls built out of human skulls and they ripped out peoples hearts while they were still alive. Mexico had deep problems before it was even called Mexico. A similar history applies to many other countries south of the border. The Spaniards conquest south of the border certainly caused some problems, but that region has been troubled for thousands of years. The United States did not cause the majority of the problems south of the border and to say that is the case is highly misleading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over