The Illegal Immigration Non-Crisis in the USA

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by cots, Jul 4, 2019.

1. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Support structure mentioned in OP's post. He is correct in stating that most of the current systems here in the USA allow people to claim benefits without having to show ID.

W.r.t. your concerns about employment - the laws are already in place to handle this (see: federal minimum wage). Employers are able to circumvent it in the case of illegal immigrants as they effectively become non-persons existing outside the law. I'm sure that no immigrants want to be working for below minimum wage, either. But because of the way the current system works, they have no legal protection or leverage otherwise, and are also scared to go the the authorities in case they are deported. So nothing is reported and things continue to slip under the radar.

Allowing any and all to enter the country freely - with full legal protections - would solve this problem.

Last edited by PityOnU, Jul 8, 2019
  2. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    The most communist country in the world!
    Only if you are white you have to show ID!

3. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    None that I'm aware of.

As I said though, all we've got in place now are some fines for businesses that are found to be employing illegals. These fines mean nothing to businesses once they've grown to a certain size.

Sure, but if we're going to offer them all the same protections as citizens, at that point we might as well just offer a path to citizenship. This is something that even GWB proposed, but the rest of his party was vehemently against it.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 8, 2019
  4. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I think that's another discussion entirely.

5. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not really, offering them 'full legal protections' under the constitution is basically offering them citizenship without any strings attached. Whereas with a path to citizenship, there would be conditions which would have to be met before granting them those same legal protections.

As it stands now, we don't even offer the legal protections that are supposed to come with a request to be granted asylum. We aren't following our own laws.

6. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I think you are confusing "privileges of citizenship" with "basic rights"...

I don't think you need to be a citizen to be protected from, say, murder.

7. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Of the factors are Drug Abuse, Mental Health Issues, High Housing Costs made worse by government policies creating artificial scarcity, and limited employment opportunities.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...in-san-francisco-taxed-to-texas/#628c68316fba

Land Restriction laws inflate housing prices.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckd...lues-drive-wealth-concentration/#7d6127e34698

Texas has less land restriction laws compared to California and Houston’s average rent is $996 compared to $2,420 in Los Angeles. It contributes to homelessness. And California has higher homeless rates then Texas. California’s population is 39% larger then Texas but homeless rates are 512% larger.

The artificial scarcity in homes, unable to build new housing because of gov land restriction laws, combined with the huge influx of immigration leads to even more artificial scarcity and leads to even higher housing prices making the homeless problem worse.

Last edited by SG854, Jul 8, 2019
  8. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Shutting down the internet would be the fastest way to resolve any and all of the issues! PERIOD!

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States

10. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I mean yeah, you'd think they'd be granted basic human rights regardless of their situation. When we're cramming 150 people in cells designed to hold 30, however, it's obvious that many CBP agents are treating them as subhuman.

Silencing discussion about an issue doesn't make that issue go away, sorry.

11. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Once again you are correct,
    but it would allow the real American loving patriots to get of their asses and take care of these matters physically if need be!
    Everyone is too lazy to get of the damn couch and too worried about losing their jobs, their drugs and alcohol, their football, their video games,etc...
    Once the internet gets shut off is when everyone (Including Liberals) will get pissed off to the point where everybody cracks!

12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    None of those things go away if the internet is shut down, though. And anarchy only introduces a whole new set of problems to solve.

Lacius likes this.
  13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I don't use the internet.

Cylent1 and Xzi like this.
  14. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    You are the one that mentioned anarchy, I'm talking flat out Civil War!!!
    I won't start it, but I will be sure as the hell be proud to participate, and try to end it!

Last edited by Cylent1, Jul 8, 2019
  15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I'm confused. Civil war over what, exactly? People who like the internet vs people who hate it?

16. Cylent1

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Now you are just being a Troll!

17. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    No I actually really am confused about what you think it is that's worth fighting a civil war for. I thought we were mostly in agreement about the root cause of mass illegal immigration.

18. cots
    OP

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Kicking the current ones out and not letting any more in, unless they did it legally, would also solve the problem. Illegal immigrants taking benefits meant for USA citizens isn't the only problem caused by them being here.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The current way of life in California, specifically in their larger Liberal run cities, is a prime example of what happens when Liberalism is forced on the masses. Homelessness is one of the side effects to their superior way of life. Prove me wrong.

Last edited by cots, Jul 8, 2019
  19. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's pretty easy to prove wrong considering California's economy is larger than many countries, it's the fifth largest economy in the world. With the exception of Texas, red states have to be subsidized by blue states.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 8, 2019
  20. Maluma

Maluma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Illegal immigration is a problem because there is often times no registration of who is even in the country. Often times murderers that are illegal immigrants can hop the border once they are under pursuit and they are good as gone.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Let me teach you a quick history lesson. The United States was colonized by the English and Mexico was colonized by Spaniards. Before Mexico was colonized by Spaniards, the Aztec were sacrificing their own people and completely terrorizing other indigenous tribes like the Mayans. The Aztec actually had walls built out of human skulls and they ripped out peoples hearts while they were still alive. Mexico had deep problems before it was even called Mexico. A similar history applies to many other countries south of the border. The Spaniards conquest south of the border certainly caused some problems, but that region has been troubled for thousands of years. The United States did not cause the majority of the problems south of the border and to say that is the case is highly misleading.