Hardware The "I can't see 3D" club

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading about the effects and how they really work, I was really excited when my 3DS arrived in the mail today. When the system began to test for 3D functionality, however, I didn't notice any difference. Not even with the slider at various positions.

The picture's not blurry or doubled. I simply don't notice a difference. I think it's because I have a dominant eye (right), and so I'm really not perceiving two images. Just the one on my right.

Anyone else have any issues that they'd want to share? Any solutions?

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My eyes tend to cross and blur whenever the hell they feel like. I can change it back, but that problem makes it hard to see 3D in real life, and even 2D images are screwed up because of this.

I doubt I'll see anything 3D right, went to a 3D glasses movie (IMAX), kept on doubling at different points- seems like I see in layers and unless I'm focused on that direct layer, I can't see shit.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have bad vision in both eyes and an astigmatism in my right eye so i have to wear glasses to see anything far off but close up i'm fine.
i can see 3D on mine fine with my glasses, but it does hurt my eyes and cause the images to blur and go out of focus without them probably because i am used to wearing them.
though this i think is mostly because of the astigmatism and isn't a big problem because with my glasses on it's fine.

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
maybe that's why you should have previewed one at best buy instead of just buying one just cause Nintendo convinced you to do so.

I convinced myself, thank you. I didn't buy it for the 3D (in fact, I had doubts that I could perceive it before I bought it). That still doesn't make it any less dissapointing

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
doyama said:
If you have issues seeing the 3D, there is an effective solution available to you

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/3/14/

Not funny...

No sense of humor no jutsu~

Luckily I'm near sighted so most of the time the 3DS is close enough that I don't have issues. I can see the 3d effect better without my glasses (and I can have the 3d effect turned up higher) but I don't need that huge sense of depth, it actually looks better to me (more natural) with the effect subtle.

Hell I mostly have the 3d on simply because the image does look better (double resolution)

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
i have bad vision in both eyes and an astigmatism in my right eye so i have to wear glasses to see anything far off but close up i'm fine.
i can see 3D on mine fine with my glasses, but it does hurt my eyes and cause the images to blur and go out of focus without them probably because i am used to wearing them.
though this i think is mostly because of the astigmatism and isn't a big problem because with my glasses on it's fine.

I have really bad astigmatism and have -8 and -9 on my eyes. I think they have contacts that I can use now despite my bad astigmatism, though I havent look into them just yet.Using glasses 3D with my already coke bottle sized glasses is annoying to say the least. Though thankfully I have my FDA illegal ultra thin lenses from Asia that at least downgraded my look from 'coke bottle' to just 'dork'.

I played around with the 3DS at PAX East and I was surprised I was able to see the 3D no problem. Even moving around with the arrow AR game was actually a lot of fun. Admittedly I didn't play it for more than maybe 15 minutes so perhaps I would have a different opinion if I had to play street fighter for a hour. Mostly I was surprised I can see the 3D effect at all, because watching 3D movies is not possible for me because I can't see the 3D effects with those crappy glasses they give out.

WiiBricker said:
QUOTE(doyama @ Mar 31 2011, 04:16 PM) If you have issues seeing the 3D, there is an effective solution available to you

Not funny...

Dunno maybe I'm biased since I was there when he was drawing it at PAX. It was hilarious to see the drawing sort of start off pretty tame, but then progressively get more gory as he added all sorts of stuff to the last panel. Admittedly the My Little Pony request was a bit odd... Is there some kind of My Little Pony revival going on or something? People were asking about it at both Q&A sessions I went to.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an optic disc pit in my right eye, so my left eye is extremely dominant. I can see the 3D fine though, guess seeing as I've had it from birth my brain's compensated for it.

Pavichokche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
doyama said:
If you have issues seeing the 3D, there is an effective solution available to you

HAHAHA, YES !!! It's totally true, we already have depth perception and can simulate it on screens, so what's the point of tricking our eyes into thinking they're really seeing it??? Nintendo should take a page from Sony's book and focus on making good games and not just trippy gimmicks.
yaypsp.gif

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Pavichokche said:
doyama said:

HAHAHA, YES !!! It's totally true, we already have depth perception and can simulate it on screens, so what's the point of tricking our eyes into thinking they're really seeing it??? Nintendo should take a page from Sony's book and focus on making good games and not just trippy gimmicks.
yaypsp.gif

so you're saying you can't tell the difference between 2d and 3d games? shame, maybe you're one of the unlucky few to miss out....

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pavichokche said:
doyama said:

yaypsp.gif

I think there are potentially some good gameplay mechanics that can be based on having actual depth perception in the game. The AR games are actually a good indication of what is possible. I'm hoping that there are some good devs out there with some creative ideas as to how to effectively use the 3D aspect as a core gameplay mechanic, even if some people can't see it.

Extorting

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
As someone who can see the 3D, i'll tell ya you aren't missing anything special.
LoL are u sure u can see 3d because it looks pretty special to me and about a million others that bought a 3ds

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes there is a my little pony revival. It's called friendship is magic. It's fun to watch. It doesn't reek of intense girlyness that the original had. This one is like power puff girls pony edition or something. For a show that was intended for single digit age girls, a ton of late teen early twenties guys love it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu