The hardest game you've ever played :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...Not that I want to argue Tom, I get your point, but "memorizing moves of the enemy" is sort of a part of literally every game that has enemies in it. :P

Now I am going to struggle to come up with examples in games, at least this side of certain turn based/tactics type games, but move memorisation is not always a thing when "what is physically possible" comes into to play and move from there or perhaps things like fighting games where the near infinite variations in timing and if you can halt a move in progress. Of course you would probably then say *points at chess, poker, martial arts.....*.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Now I am going to struggle to come up with examples in games, at least this side of certain turn based/tactics type games, but move memorisation is not always a thing when "what is physically possible" comes into to play and move from there or perhaps things like fighting games where the near infinite variations in timing and if you can halt a move in progress. Of course you would probably then say *points at chess, poker, martial arts.....*.
Of course this is also a matter of the genre - when the attack pattern is fixed or each attack is "telegraphed" the same way, memorization plays a big role... and attacks in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls sure as hell are "telegraphed". :P

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It may be because I'm thinking more of the online PVPing and the gameplay more and not the levels, but there's definitely a learning curve to a majority of the gameplay. Specifically parrying/dodging/blocking/choosing the right loadout/class management etc. You don't memorize that shit, it requires skills and practice to get good out it. The game would be impossible if you didn't use any of this to your advantage, and even memorizing levels won't make you good at the game.

tl;dr You actually have to learn the mechanics of the game and simple memorization won't get you far at all.
The problem is that you need both skill and large amounts of memorization. There's a whole bunch of shit that's near impossible to know beforehand that will kill you/screw you over some other way, even if you have skills. That includes memorizing enemy attacks and timing and stuff.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't this be in the general gaming section? Anyway, are we including only games that we still consider hard, or are we also including games that were just hard when we first played them?

Anyway, I don't know if I can narrow it down to one, but Zelda II is definitely on the list. I never even would've beat it without the virtual console's save states (I intend to go back and beat it legitimately someday, though). Possibly the hardest games I legitimately beat are Mega Man Zero and Sonic '06. The former because it's legitimately really tough, and the latter because BUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGS.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't this be in the general gaming section? Anyway, are we including only games that we still consider hard, or are we also including games that were just hard when we first played them?

Anyway, I don't know if I can narrow it down to one, but Zelda II is definitely on the list. I never even would've beat it without the virtual console's save states (I intend to go back and beat it legitimately someday, though). Possibly the hardest games I legitimately beat are Mega Man Zero and Sonic '06. The former because it's legitimately really tough, and the latter because BUGSBUGSBUGSBUGSBUGS.
I thought you did play through legit oh well, yeah you should definitely replay without using save states

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Battletoads on SNES is pretty intense, that motorcyle level is insane, I wonder how could someone pass that last part without save state

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought you did play through legit oh well, yeah you should definitely replay without using save states

I tried doing that, but I found it frustratingly difficult to the point of being unfun. I personally love a good challenge in a video game, but not to the point of BS like Zelda II was.

For the sake of a full disclaimer, I used save states in the original Zelda, too. But only in the final dungeon. All the other games in the series were beaten quite legitimately

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought SMT4 the other day and was surprised how quickly I was killed...

To be fair the difficulty in that game is horribly inflated. I'm playing it now and it's pretty okay but it's not "challenging" as much as "frustrating". Most of the difficulty comes from long dungeons that you can't find an easy way out of and most bosses only having one weakness that you have to grind to get an optimal team for.

The last boss in NMH2 was really fucking hard.

But...

2995261-3381520196-tumbl.jpg

You rang?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
WWF/WWE

I remember playing it with my brother 15 years ago or more. I never understood this game. We seem to hit each other at the exact same time, yet he gets the punch.

There was no bar or anything for a character, so you need to guess when the other guy is tired to try to pin him.

Weird game.. Never liked it

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Another World (Any platform)

It has been ported to PC, Android, SNES, and recently GBA. Hardest fucking game I've ever played, but the visuals and gameplay were WAAAAAAY ahead of it's time.

arrive.gif

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be fair the difficulty in that game is horribly inflated. I'm playing it now and it's pretty okay but it's not "challenging" as much as "frustrating". Most of the difficulty comes from long dungeons that you can't find an easy way out of and most bosses only having one weakness that you have to grind to get an optimal team for.

But...

You rang?
That guy is not even that hard? Cut the large rocks he throws for like 4 hp packs and his attacks are all avoidable after a little practice with the backstep.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But...

You rang?
It's okay now. Maybe I was just overreacting or something because now I'm getting into it and losing less now.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's okay now. Maybe I was just overreacting or something because now I'm getting into it and losing less now.
The hardest thing about that game is when you get to a certain place (you'll see soon) and trying to navigate it/Keep track of where you're going or where you've been. Its really irritating.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're still in Naraku don't worry that's the hardest part in the game due to the limited/specific demons available.

My opinion, I wouldn't really call it genuinely hard, it's artificially hard where near the middle of the game it just becomes "who can 1hit KO who first?" in normal battles which disappointed me, and what Guild said when it comes to boss battles

Also here's a tip (non-spoiler)
Magic should be your first priority since the game is centered around the game using magic. It's dumb. Why give players the options to make your own build if everything else is subpar
You can finish the game using the initial equipment. Some people actually recommend it since it has no weaknesses
Isabeau is my waifu. I will str8 up cut you if you get any feelings for her bro

The most difficult game I've played was probably the original Contra, played Contra 4 with a broski, shit was so cash.

Devil Survivor comes in second.

_Mary_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
130503.jpg

ugh this game made me crazy lol .. i hate it when he jumps and fall <.<its hard for me to finish it on pc because our monitor before is black and white and so blurred that made some traps not visible.so i have to memorize every trap in every stage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse