The Gyrostarr Config File (CDGame.txt)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dteyn, Jul 2, 2009.

Jul 2, 2009
  1. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I've been following the thread about hacking The Conduit's CDGame.txt pretty closely, as I find the topic quite interesting from a tinkering point of view.

I noticed this post by nano351:

I haven't even played the game Gyrostarr yet, I'm just about to hop onto the Wii shop and buy it and give it a go. It will be neat to see what is possible (if anything) by tinkering with the CDGame.txt file. One thing that looks pretty neat is "OFFER_MULTIPLAYER" (Turn on multiplayer game). I wouldn't get any hopes up though, like we found out with The Conduit many of these options might not do anything.

This also opens up some interesting possibilities, for example what happens if you put the .gcm/.gcs files from the WiiWare games into The Conduit? What happens if you put files from The Conduit into one of the WiiWare games.... hmm lots of stuff to tinker with!

For anyone interested in tinkering, you need HowardC's U8Tool as well as wwpacker (or some other WAD unpacker). Unpack the WAD and then use U8Tool to extract 00000002.app. As usual, you should have BootMii or preloader installed in case the wad gets messed up and happens to brick your Wii.

I don't have the wads for Evasive Space or High Voltage Hot Rod Show, maybe I'll buy those ones too so I can extract the WAD and tinker around with them too. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they also have CDGame.txt files, as per nano351's suggestion.

Let the fun begin! [​IMG]

Edit: Here is what is inside each .app file inside the Gyrostarr WAD:

00000000.app - Title, banner, icon
    00000001.app - Game executable (cannot be unpacked)
    00000002.app - Game data / config file
    00000003.app - HomeButton2, HomeButton3 files
    00000004.app - HomeButtonSe - more Home Button stuff
    00000005.app - HomeButton3 - even more Home Button stuff
    00000006.app - Another executable (cannot be unpacked)

So really, the only interesting info is inside 00000002.app.

2. lazor

Member lazor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wonder if their future games will have it?

Probably not, but it'd be sweet if it did.

3. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    conduit will work from the dvd drive .....wii sports resort is the only game I have ever had to use the usb loader in order for it to work ......I used wii scrubber on wsr which shrunk it ot 690mb then loaded it onto a thumb drive , and it worked , the thumb drive was wbfs formatted

4. otto888

Member otto888 I break things for a living.

United States
    Notice the game version. The gyrostarr engine may be incomplete(just has what the game needs? Less? more?) unlike The Conduit(can anyone confirm that it doesn't say prototype too?). And the map files,the format may have changed between these 2 games,and may corrupt save/data or crash. Once i get The Conduit, I'll try copying some map files into the gyrostarr wad.

5. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah, I have a feeling it'll just crash the game too, it's not like the game engines are similar. Still, it would be interesting nevertheless. [​IMG]

I just played Gyrostarr for the first time, it's not a bad game.. but not the greatest game either. I wonder if tweaking the CDGame.txt file will yield any interesting results? I'm about to try all the debug stuff, I'll post back with results.

6. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    LEVEL_SELECT ON // Level select on/off

This works, it allows you to select levels 1-50 as well as the following hidden levels if you have debug_cheats_active enabled:
    51 - Test final win sequence - Secret Test Level for debug_cheats_active (shows the ending graphics/etc and rolls the game credits)
    52 - Test end of level sequence - Secret Test Level for debug_cheats_active (shows the standard end of level graphics/etc)

7. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Enabling DEBUG_CHEATS enables the in-game cheat menu, by pressing the - (minus) button it will display the following options and allow you to edit them. Pressing the + button will change between the different pages of options (and there are MANY):

Main

Strat Names (on/OFF)
    Wad Info (on/OFF)
    Memory Usage (on/OFF)
    Memory Info (on/OFF)
    Raycasts (on/OFF)
    Screenprints (on/OFF)
    Collision Spheres (on/OFF)
    Increased Energy % track done (0.500)
    Increased Energy % divisor (1.000)
    Increased Energy % max diff (5.000)
    Critical Energy % track done (0.000)
    Critical Energy % divisor (1.000)
    Speed Lines Irngth (sic) (220.000)
    Global Shot Burst Tweaker (1.000)
    Global Shot Speed Tweaker (2.000)
    How Long a shot lives (6.000)
    Enemy damaged flash time (0.070)
    Enemy damaged flashes per sec (4.000)
    Time to stay dead (1.500)
    Time to stay dead 0 energy (4.000)
    Time to flash after spawn (4.000)
    Dev Tweaker value (0.000)
    Speed Debug (on/OFF)
    Enemy Spawner (ON/off)
    Distance ahead for warpgate (200.000)
    Maximum Bonus Track Speed (800.000)
    Maximum Track Speed (600.000)

Okay, I'm not going to list the rest because there are literally HUNDREDS of options to change. It's amazing the level of customization that is available through this debug menu. Pressing - and + in the debug menu allows you to change through the following pages:

Main (all options listed above)
    Camera (general camera settings - tons of stuff)
    Camera Intro (settings for the intro camera I'm guessing)
    Camera Outro (settings for the ending scene camera)
    Controller (all kinds of settings for Wiimote options, tilt, nunchuk, etc)
    Lights (ambient and directional lighting options)
    Select Enemy Type (allows you to edit the stats/characteristics of any enemy in the game)
    Player (lots of settings like shot burst cooldown time, number of shots per burst, shot speed, all kinds of very cool gameplay settings)
    Grapple (seems to be settings related to how the car interacts with the track)
    Spawner (control how fast/many enemies are spawned etc)
    Power Ups 1 (modify what each power up does, how many appear, etc)
    Power Upts 2 (even more power up settings)
    Projectiles (settings for all of the projectiles in the game such as your shots and enemy shots)

Each page has between 10-30 options, it's amazing how many options this opens up!!

If these settings could be somehow hardwired, someone could almost make a souped up version of this game, with faster races, more bullets, harder enemies, etc. The amount of flexibility is incredible!

8. Dteyn
    OP

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I cleaned up the Gyrostarr CDGame.txt file a bit, this is still all the original stuff, with the comments slightly edited, but all the settings are original. I used TextPad's sort feature and block select feature to quickly sort it so it's much more readable. Something the developers should have done, it just makes their job easier. [​IMG]

Code:
    ALLOW_PATCHED_WATERÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Required for patched water on the Wii
    ASSERT_YPOSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ-100ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// ASL assert start y position
    COLLISION 1ÂÂÂÂ 64ÂÂÂÂÂÂ64ÂÂÂÂÂÂ64ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // No-Climb
    COLLISION 10ÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 179ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Metal (Solid)
    COLLISION 11ÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 89ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Metal (Hollow) - half of Metal (Solid)
    COLLISION 12ÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 255ÂÂÂÂ 255ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Glass
    COLLISION 2ÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂ 88ÂÂÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Grass
    COLLISION 3ÂÂÂÂ 255ÂÂÂÂ 207ÂÂÂÂ 55ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Gravel
    COLLISION 5ÂÂÂÂ 65ÂÂÂÂÂÂ42ÂÂÂÂÂÂ9ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Wood (Rough) - half of Wood (Polished)
    COLLISION 6ÂÂÂÂ 130ÂÂÂÂ 83ÂÂÂÂÂÂ18ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Wood (Polished)
    COLLISION 7ÂÂÂÂ 25ÂÂÂÂÂÂ97ÂÂÂÂÂÂ216ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Stone
    DEBUG_ASSERT_MESSAGESÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Display strat "assert" output
    DEBUG_CHEATSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Are debug cheats on/off
    DEBUG_FLYÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Fly-through mode on/off
    DEBUG_MEMORY_INFOÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //
    DEBUG_PROFILE_LABELSÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ //
    DEBUG_SCREENPRINTSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Display strat "screenprint" output
    DEBUG_SOUNDÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Extra sound debug
    DEBUG_STRAT_PRINTSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Display strat "print" output
    DEBUG_TEXTÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Global enable/disable of debug info
    DEBUG_WAD_INFOÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Display which wads are loaded
    DEMO_LEVEL_SELECTÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Only show * levels in level select
    DISABLE_PSPÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // PSP mode
    DISPLAY_PARTICLE_COUNTÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Show the particle count
    GAME_VERSIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ prototype
    GEOMSTRATSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Number of geometry strats
    HEAPSIZEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 30.0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Size of game heap in MB
    KEYCODEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂBAÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Region Code from Sony
    LANGUAGEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ENGLISHÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Territory or language
    LEVEL_SELECTÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Level select on/off
    NAMEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ HARRIERÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Name of game
    OFFER_MULTIPLAYERÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Turn on multiplayer options
    PALÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // PAL or NTSC
    PARTICLESÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ5000ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Number of particles (unused?)
    PARTICLES0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 5000ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Number of particles for system 0
    PARTICLES1ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 5000ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Number of particles for system 1
    PERFORMANCE_METRICSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // How much performance data to display, 0=none, 1=fps, 2=lots, 3=tons
    PRODUCT_NUMBERÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ SLUS01234ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Product Code from Sony
    PSPÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFF
    PSP_16BITÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // PSP 16 bit rendering
    PSP_DITHERÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // PSP 16 bit dither option
    REGIONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // 0 = USA, 1 = EUROPE, 2 = EUROPE2(ANZ), 3 = something.
    SAVE_NAMEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂHarrier
    SCREENPRINT_YPOSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -220ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// ASL screenprint start y position
    SKIP_MOVIESÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOFFÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // Whether to skip the front end into movies or not
    SKU_TYPEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0
    SOUNDÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂONÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ// Sound on/off
    START_LEVELÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ99_00ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // WAD to load for "New Game"
    STRATDBGPATHÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ StratBin/ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // DebugKits="StratBin/" DevKits="../../Source/Ass/StratBin/"
    TEX_OFFSETÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1
    USE_CLASSIC_CONTROLLERÂÂÂÂ ON
    VIDEO_ALLOC_METHODÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ STRATÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // MALLOC or STRAT (default = STRAT)
    WADÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ99_99ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ // First WAD to read
    I also found some additional variables not listed in Gyrostarr's CDGame.txt (found by viewing 00000001.app with a hex editor):

Code:
    ASL_SERIALIZATION
    ASL_SERIALIZATION_DEVICE
    ASL_SERIALIZATION_LEVEL
    AUTO_CONNECT
    AUTO_HOST
    AUTO_MONKEY
    AUTO_NAME
    BANKED
    BRIGHTNESS
    BUILD
    CHINA_WORDWRAP
    COLLISION
    CONTRAST
    DEBUG_SCALEFORM
    DEMO_BUILD
    DEMO_MAGAZINE
    DISPLAY_FRAMES_PER_GAME_FRAME
    DMASIZE
    ENGINE_VERSION
    FRAME_INDEX_CACHE_POOL_ENTRIES
    GAMMA
    GPU_METRICS
    LEVEL_WALK
    LOAD_TO_START_LEVEL
    ROLLING_LOG
    SHOW_PARTICLE_COUNTS
    USE_GCN_CONTROLLER
    VM_PREEMPT_OPCOUNT_LIMIT
    VM_WARNING_OPCOUNT_LIMIT

The following note is also visible inside 00000001.app:

Code:
    ! ! ! C A U T I O N ! ! !
    This TV format "DEBUG_PAL" is only for temporary solution until PAL DAC board is available.
    Please do NOT use this mode in real games!!!