Hacking The great UFPEX NDS save mystery ….

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After reading the review [UFPEX Review] I was convinced this was the card for me. I placed my order and less than a week later the card turned up, I was very happy. I copied a few .nds files across and everything was playing just sweet!

My girlfriend kidnapped my DS and got obsessed with Cooking Mama haha that was until she turned the DS off. Next time she came back to the DS she had to start again; all her lovely, well-earned recipes had disappeared. You can manually change the save type by pressing Select and Right. If I change the save type it will say when playing Cooking Mama … ‘Can’t save please insert DS card’’ so I put it back to the 4Kbit. I hook up the USB cable and a cooking mama.sav was present.

So, a save issue? Well yeah, I guess that’s where it all started. I had a look around these forums and noticed that quite a few people have had issues with saving to their cards. It would seem all types of cards have problems from time to time. I couldn’t find much about the UFP EX here so started to look elsewhere. First the manufactures website [ndsgba website] and then over to this site [Forum for the UFPEX] where I found thread after thread about people not getting their game to save.

That’s A LOT of people having problems with this card. Now the guy at [That site] is connected to the seller and trying to refund all these cards. BUT is this really a hardware fault???

And that’s my question:

1) If I’m having problems saving to my card what’s the chances it’s actually a hardware fault? Will returning and getting a new card really solve this? Is it more likely an error with the card’s firmware? Or a retarded owner (i.e. Me) just doing it wrong?

The reason I ask is; I have the 16GB version of this card and other people have 1GB or 4 or 8. Other people here who are having saving problems have all sorts of cards. Don’t you think that’s odd? Is there something wrong with ALL these cards? It just doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s a problem with the way people who make these cards write their firmware?

I’m a noob when it comes to all this but I know some of you are very smart with this stuff.

Should I
a) Return the card, get a new one
b) Return the card, get a refund buy a different type of card
c) Use some magic program or process to fix saving on my card
d) Hope this gets solved in a future firmware update
e) Wipe the card and install the N-Card firmware and see if this solves the problem
f) Stop writing such long posts

Thank you for your time!
laugh.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you try using the Neoflash Mk5 firmware? I believe that clone has received more updates than any of the others, though I don't know if any of the updates were related to yours/others issues.

Oh and btw, F comes after E.
nyanya.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the updates where just for homebrew so i have heard. Also My N card saves are perfect so far. i will post back if i get problems. i have been using the N card for 3 days now. how long have you had the card for. Also have you tried to format it.

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you try using the Neoflash Mk5 firmware? I believe that clone has received more updates than any of the others, though I don't know if any of the updates were related to yours/others issues.

Oh and btw, F comes after E.
nyanya.gif

I'll give the Neoflash Mk5 firmware a go.

tongue.gif
I've changed it to F now, that'll teach me to add stuff at the last minute.

the updates where just for homebrew so i have heard. Also My N card saves are perfect so far. i will post back if i get problems. i have been using the N card for 3 days now. how long have you had the card for. Also have you tried to format it.

I can't actually remember if it worked from the beginning - I don't think it did. And yep, I've reformatted and tried various games and apps and not a single one will play from save, even tho’ a .sav file is created.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i think your card must be defective. Send it back when you still can. i have played arlound 60 games now and none of my saves have disapperd except new super mario bros that was because i picked the wrong save,

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i think your card must be defective. Send it back when you still can. i have played arlound 60 games now and none of my saves have disapperd except new super mario bros that was because i picked the wrong save,

Yeah I've just contacted them about getting a replacement. I hope it doesn't come to that and somebody on here can solve the problem.
ph34r.gif

bullet007

Trophies
XP
Country
The reason I ask is; I have the 16GB version of this card and other people have 1GB or 4 or 8. Other people here who are having saving problems have all sorts of cards. Don’t you think that’s odd? Is there something wrong with ALL these cards? It just doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s a problem with the way people who make these cards write their firmware?

No, you dont have the 16GB version, you have the 16Gbit (2GByte version)
The other people have 1Gbyte versions too.

Dont get bit and byte confused (8 bits = 1 byte)

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

No, you dont have the 16GB version, you have the 16Gbit (2GByte version)
The other people have 1Gbyte versions too.

Dont get bit and byte confused (8 bits = 1 byte)

That's what I meant
smile.gif
All this bits and bytes thing make me
wacko.gif

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Right I've just installed the Neoflash Mk5 firmware and had a bash on SM64DS. Saved, powered off, came back and its starting from the beginning again
unsure.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My friends XPCard (n-card clone) also doesn't save, despite the .sav file being present on the card. He tried to get a refund - no word from him yet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free