Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First of all, congratulations to all the team involved both in wiiflow and in the plugins pack itself. You guys are amazing and leave an important legacy here, you actively help to make wii great, unique and immortal.

I just downloaded and installed the 10.1. Pack from the first post, together with all the extras included, including Tetsuo Shima's folder containing different icons for each game in.png format and WFL folder with sounds (I dunno what are them for). As usual, some questions raised:

1- how I change the source menu layout? Today I have the one with square buttons, paged - the one that came in 10.1 pack. I'd like to test that "spin" one, or others (I prefer to see console and/or characters imagens instead of logos only), is this "change" difficult and tricky, or simple? Can it be made in-app or only via pc editing files, etc? If I wanted to create my own source menu layout, is there a tutorial or something?
2- I am not sure if this pack is complete or missing some plug-ins. When I enter neogeo it says "no plug-ins found"

If it's missing, where or how could I find them? (I remember someday I downloaded a retroarch release, and the wiiflow .ini file came together, btw I'm not sure it's the current and standard version for this pack)
3- I already have roms I.e. For genplus and snes9x in their default folder. Is it mandatory to move them to standard /roms/ folder, or is possible to edit these paths? I did not find this option in-app, actually there's no much options about plug-ins inside the app, it seems almost everything must be done editing files, am I correct?
4- is there a way to launch wiiflow automatically when you power the console on?

Regards, thanks and congrats for the awesome work!!!

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
First of all, congratulations to all the team involved both in wiiflow and in the plugins pack itself. You guys are amazing and leave an important legacy here, you actively help to make wii great, unique and immortal.

I just downloaded and installed the 10.1. Pack from the first post, together with all the extras included, including Tetsuo Shima's folder containing different icons for each game in.png format and WFL folder with sounds (I dunno what are them for). As usual, some questions raised:

1- how I change the source menu layout? Today I have the one with square buttons, paged - the one that came in 10.1 pack. I'd like to test that "spin" one, or others (I prefer to see console and/or characters imagens instead of logos only), is this "change" difficult and tricky, or simple? Can it be made in-app or only via pc editing files, etc? If I wanted to create my own source menu layout, is there a tutorial or something?
2- I am not sure if this pack is complete or missing some plug-ins. When I enter neogeo it says "no plug-ins found"

If it's missing, where or how could I find them? (I remember someday I downloaded a retroarch release, and the wiiflow .ini file came together, btw I'm not sure it's the current and standard version for this pack)
3- I already have roms I.e. For genplus and snes9x in their default folder. Is it mandatory to move them to standard /roms/ folder, or is possible to edit these paths? I did not find this option in-app, actually there's no much options about plug-ins inside the app, it seems almost everything must be done editing files, am I correct?
4- is there a way to launch wiiflow automatically when you power the console on?

Regards, thanks and congrats for the awesome work!!!
I recommend downloading the Rhapsodii Shima 5.4.9 theme for WiiFlow Lite. Install it before installing the plugins pack. You then have to change the theme in WiiFlow's settings. https://gbatemp.net/download/rhapsodii-shima.36278/

Though on that note, i'm not sure if Rhapsodii Shima has all the new plugin buttons recently added. I'll actually upload Rhapsodii Shima 5.4.9 with my own modifications (adding buttons, rearranging the order/names of the buttons; you can toggle between "Sort alphabetically by manufacturer / console name, or sort chronologically by year"). Some of the modifications include *hiding* certain buttons that i'm not using (Odyssey2, Commodore Amiga (for the moment, anyway), Atari XEGS, and probably a few others). So if you want those consoles available, go to consoles.ini or computers.ini, find the console, and change "hidden" from "yes" to "no".

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5puo5krsa2t1lx7/Rhapsodii+Shima+5.4.9+(Modded).7z/file

Here's also a link to the Rhapsodii Shima 5.4.9 "fix", which i don't know exactly what it does, but i know i'm using it and it was in the Rhapsodii Shima thread.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r228cy014h21dls/Rhapsodii+Shima+5.4.9+fix.7z/file

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
whoops, i forgot about my Commodore Demoscene button, for which you would need the platform.ini file I custom use. I should probably just go back and de-customize it, but w/e. This belongs in \wiiflow\plugins_data on your SD card.

Attachments

• platform.7z
    3.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: locomia

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
whoops, i forgot about my Commodore Demoscene button, for which you would need the platform.ini file I custom use. I should probably just go back and de-customize it, but w/e. This belongs in \wiiflow\plugins_data on your SD card.

Thank you, I´ll download and take a look on the Rhapsodii Shima !

I´ve seen the mentioned thread and it says:

- To be fully appreciated, this theme should be used in conjunction with Wiiflow's Database and Snapshots by Wiimpathy.

What about this database thing? Is it too difficult to set it up?

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

i am using this theme created by @cheloruiz79
I changed backgrounds and small_covers from the original one

Reactions: cheloruiz79

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States

It is not. You simply copy the files over from the database thread. https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-lite-with-emulators-database.527613/

The only thing that's "difficult" about it is making sure either:
a) your ROMs filename match the game's name in its console's ".ini" file
b) Making sure your ROMs have CRCs that exist in its console's ".ini" file and it matches the game

You don't have to do both of these things. Just one of them for each ROM.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCE/TG16 & PCE CD/TurboDuo feedback requested. These plugins have been bothering me forever. They are just different names for the same consoles by Region, no different than Genesis/Mega Drive or NES/Famicom.

I think having (multiple/same) regional plugins for the same console is extreme overkill. I have a hard time believing end users are using both just so different artwork can be displayed for each.

The question i have is which naming does everyone prefer, "PCE" or "TG16"?
Please post your preference if you have one because I will be removing one or the other. It will clean up around 15 unneeded files.

Also regarding @ukigh4ie request to remove boxcovers, covers, cache folders, (rom folders will remain). Does anyone else think these should be removed since WFL will generate these folders if the plugins are being used? I understand his view these folders are unnecessary but i suggested these folders are nice to have in place for newcomers. Extra feedback is welcome since adding these folders could also be confusing to newcomers and considered overkill.

Last thing i want to mention. After 10.2 is set for release (206 plugins currently) i'll also make... V6, V7, V9, V10 releases available for download link. WFL Sounds download will be removed and Extras will have a small update that will include backgrounds and buttons made available by @cheloruiz79 , @chrondelta, @mastershoes, @matto21 and myself.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,
Reactions: cheloruiz79

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
I personally like the distinction and will continue to use it. The way i figure is it depends on which boxcover art you want to use: long, or jewel-case. Your plugins pack provides a logical and easy way to do both. OTHER THAN THAT, I don't see much of a justification, but i think this purpose alone is sufficient to justify it. I will personally continue to use the split. I know it's not in line with other consoles region split, but for some reason, it just feels Right for NEC consoles. I'd like to propose keeping both. It is a simple enough task to turn off one or the other, and i dont think the files really strongly pollute everything. I think if you wanted to come up with a justification for maintaining a regional difference for these two specific consoles, but not every other console (I think in particular of SNES or GB which have distinct box shapes depending on region)... yeah i got nothing, i just really want to maintain this, TurboGrafx/PC Engine has a certain 'mystique' to it that i feel warrants the distinction.

Regarding the empty cache folders, boxcovers, &c &c (what's the difference between "covers" and "boxcovers" btw?), i think those folder should be kept if at least to demonstrate the file structure. I know they will be generated. but ESPECIALLY keep the boxcovers folders. At best you could make an argument for kililng the cache folders, but absolutely not for boxcovers and such, since you'd otherwise have to hunt down the plugins to figure out the correct directories for things.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chrondelta

Thank you for the quick response my friend. I know you are an advocate of keeping PCE/TG16 (so to say) separated and that is enough for me to not make the change. I think Tetsuo while putting this together also sees the difference being beneficial as you do.

I am happy to hear you agree the covers, cache, boxcovers folders included are for good reason. I'd like to hear from others regarding this as well, but i don't know how removing these folders benefits anyone.

Covers folders are for 2D art if you cannot find 3D art to be placed in boxcovers folders for any system/console.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@RunningSnakes Exactly as @chrondelta said. For me the "nostalgia factor" is the main thing for retrogaming. I wanted everyone around the world to feel confortable with his/her own past memories, and some consoles like PCE/TG16 had dramatically different designs (both consoles and game boxes).
Some other consoles instead are very similar between regions, both in the console's design and box size (like MD and Genesis), so in this case it's not a big deal to leave only one choice, however I felt it was not consistent with the rest of the systems to remove them.
In any case, I know that the pack has reached godzillian size, so if you want to skip something I understand.
Here's also a link to the Rhapsodii Shima 5.4.9 "fix", which i don't know exactly what it does, but i know i'm using it and it was in the Rhapsodii Shima thread.
My bad, it was only a small fix and I forgot to add it in the changelog.
In this post I explained what was changed
Thanks again chrondelta for keeping Rapsodii Shima updated with your mod. I have no way to test anything at the mo, but I'm sure you did a great work. Just make sure, in case you already didn't, to optimize all .png's

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
@RunningSnakes Exactly as @chrondelta said. For me the "nostalgia factor" is the main thing for retrogaming. I wanted everyone around the world to feel confortable with his/her own past memories, and some consoles like PCE/TG16 had dramatically different designs (both consoles and game boxes).
Some other consoles instead are very similar between regions, both in the console's design and box size (like MD and Genesis), so in this case it's not a big deal to leave only one choice, however I felt it was not consistent with the rest of the systems to remove them.
In any case, I know that the pack has reached godzillian size, so if you want to skip something I understand.

My bad, it was only a small fix and I forgot to add it in the changelog.
In this post I explained what was changed
Thanks again chrondelta for keeping Rapsodii Shima updated with your mod. I have no way to test anything at the mo, but I'm sure you did a great work. Just make sure, in case you already didn't, to optimize all .png's
I THINK i'm optimizing my PNGs, but could you clarify what it means to do so? I've just ben mostly using photoshop to make new buttons and stuff and assuming it's at the best settings. If you can tell me what the correct settings or the correct thing to do is, i can go back and make sure that's done. So far i haven't encountered problems with it though.

I could probably make an openBOR button easily but i don't have any BOR content for myself to make it worth testing. Actually i havn't checked if the PNG assts for openBOR buttons exist yt, but if they do it should be easy to whip up a button.

What section should openBOR fall under? My intuition says "Computers" based on my *assumption* that it's an engine that runs on PCs kinda like Stepmania that imitates a game called "Beats of Rage" (which I'm also assuming is just a real rhythm game based on SNK properties??). The secondary opinion would be "Arcades", if it's meant to imitate an arcade game (again, i haven't don any research, my assumption is that BoR probably exists as an arcade cabinet if it has SNK characters).

Edit: Wow i was way off! Okay seriously though, i feel like openBOR should live under PC. Does this make sense to everyone who uses it, or what?

Last edited by chrondelta,

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick response my friend. I know you are an advocate of keeping PCE/TG16 (so to say) separated and that is enough for me to not make the change. I think Tetsuo while putting this together also sees the difference being beneficial as you do.

I am happy to hear you agree the covers, cache, boxcovers folders included are for good reason. I'd like to hear from others regarding this as well, but i don't know how removing these folders benefits anyone.

Covers folders are for 2D art if you cannot find 3D art to be placed in boxcovers folders for any system/console.
Actually, one more thing i recommend... i feel like i talked about this before, but check my platform.ini and my Rhapsodii Shima buttons and stuff (and also my own modded version of the Cannonball plugin that places the coverfolder in "Arcade" instead of "DOS")... i think Cannonball should be something that exists under the generic-Arcade plugin button. You'll see i have included one of the plugins in arcade.ini

Oh yeah, what's this about getting rid of the "Sounds" files? I like the preview sounds (and also have things setup in a way that makes sense to me).

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@chrondelta
If you use unoptimized images and have a huge number of games and consoles, Wiiflow can go out of memory and show no more images until reboot. As for the correct way to optimize them, I'm not very competent. @blackb0x or @AdamCatalyst helped me with that.
I still have to get updated with the new releases of the plugins pack, but I remember that in my latest version Cannonball and OpenBor were indeed in Arcade and PC respectively.
Maybe it was changed in the newer versions, but it's not so difficult to move them where you want, just use the Source Menu Setup pressing Home button while viewing your source menu (or source flow of you use it).

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Edit: Wow i was way off! Okay seriously though, i feel like openBOR should live under PC. Does this make sense to everyone who uses it, or what?

Here's the opinion of a brand newcomer to wiiflow and plug-ins: I'd really like to see openbor and scummvm buttons and covers in wiiflow.. and yes, it makes sense for me that both of them were under PC section

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the opinion of a brand newcomer to wiiflow and plug-ins: I'd really like to see openbor and scummvm buttons and covers in wiiflow.. and yes, it makes sense for me that both of them were under PC section
@matto21 has just completed an OpenBOR boxcover set he has shared with me. Not sure if he is forwarding this to the covers 2 thread or maybe he already has. If not, ill ask his permission to do so myself so the set is available to others.

Reactions: gZa and locomia

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"