Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I want to run .chd files for PC Engine CD with the Retroarch Wii core
You need to use the PC Engine Super System Card v3.0 (J) BIOS named as syscard3.pce and put into the folder on sd:/retroarch/system/ for run PCE CD games, otherwise these just don't work.

EDIT: Look for "RetroArch BIOS Pack" on Google or Internet Archive, i won't put links for that due to GBAtemp's rules...

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You need to use the PC Engine Super System Card v3.0 (J) BIOS named as syscard3.pce and put into the folder on sd:/retroarch/system/ for run PCE CD games, otherwise these just don't work.

EDIT: Look for "RetroArch BIOS Pack" on Google or Internet Archive, i won't put links for that due to GBAtemp's rules...
That's what I tought. I was not considering it before because Hexaeco play them just fine without the BIOS. (the .cue ones of course)
I'm gonna do it, Thank you all

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
That's what I tought. I was not considering it before because Hexaeco play them just fine without the BIOS.
I'm gonna do it, Thank you all
RA-HEXAeco still needs the BIOS for play PCE CD games, i've tried this before and i didn't had luck so i had to use the BIOS :P

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both RA PCE/TG16 cores included in the plugins pack (SGFX & Fast) play chd files 100%.
Yes, WiiMednafen does not support chd format. Ive posted before and will endorse again the SGFX core to use for all NEC 16 bit games. It is IMO superior to anything else in every way.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Planning on updating the Plugins Pack soon with many updated emulators recently, I request some feedback on the direction of what we Really want/need going forward.

With Official RA getting a major upgrade to what we use as plugins, i personally feel most of the Hexaeco cores/emulators are baggage nobody wants to claim.

I am very sure most of us end users want to use emulators that play at full speed first foremost. There are many Hexaeco cores included in the Alternative folder that simply are not good, compared to RA or Stand-Alone. Wether it be a speed issue or not being able to save game progress.

I believe the Plugin Pack should only include the BEST experience emulators possible. I also believe that is @Tetsuo Shima intentions when he first began this, and not become an archive of what emulators work or boot.

With that being said, i have moved a few Alternative emulators to Main (ZX Spectrum Hexaeco) comes to mind and Hexaeco PicoDrive completely removed. There will be many more emulators removed in the next release mostly if not all of the Hexaeco cores that simply do not perform well or not used.
Atari Lynx
WonderSwan

Please post if you are using an Alternative core you would like to keep!!!

@chrondelta and @matto21 help me out with testing and other Wii related stuff and if you want to help test or have any recommendations, please PM me.

Ill be very honest here, i love what WiiMednafen has been for Wii emulation, but other than VB, WonderSwan, NeoPocket, PCE, I dont use or would not recommend using to anyone. The rest of WiiMednafen will not be included.

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both RA PCE/TG16 cores included in the plugins pack (SGFX & Fast) play chd files 100%.
Yes, WiiMednafen does not support chd format. Ive posted before and will endorse again the SGFX core to use for all NEC 16 bit games. It is IMO superior to anything else in every way.
tried mednafen_supergrafx_libretro_wii.dol
and start the PCE_CD roms in .chd format correctly

Last edited by matto21,

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With Official RA getting a major upgrade to what we use as plugins, i personally feel most of the Hexaeco cores/emulators are baggage nobody wants to claim.
Since RA allows saving configuration by core and game, there's no need for RA-Hexaeco anymore. Just my opinion.
Move them to the alternative package would be an option.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Since RA allows saving configuration by core and game, there's no need for RA-Hexaeco anymore. Just my opinion.
Move them to the alternative package would be an option.

@RunningSnakes @ukigh4ie

But the per-core and per-game config is enabled by the same way as HEXAeco?:

All cores will write to /private/other/ paths are still configurable but to change the path of the main.cfg file you need to use one argument pointing to the file and the core needs to be launched on its own (as seen in the video). For example:
Code:
You take the core you want to make standalone, name it boot.dol and give it a meta.xml and add this:

<arguments>
    <arg>sd:/private/wii/title/SonicTT</arg>
    <arg>Sonic Triple Trouble.gg</arg>
    <arg>sd:/path/to/config/config.cfg</arg>
  </arguments>

Or if you just want the core without a specific game:

<arguments>
    <arg>sd:/path/to/config/name_of_cfg.cfg</arg>
  </arguments>

If it's from a usb device change sd to usb1

You need to switch cores, but the supergrafx core can still play regular pce and cd games though they might not be identical, I don't know.

Or i must follow another way for enable per-game config saving? And from what version of vanilla RA-Wii this is applied?

I'm interested in that by the way. :)

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. On second thought i will not be removing any emulators except Hexaeco Pico Drive. About a half dozen Hexaeco cores do not support save and load so all will be moved to Alternative folder if they aren't there already as @ukigh4ie suggested.

I have found the latest RA Fuse (ZX Spectrum) and RA Cap32 (Amstrad) work great if using Classic Controller but it is a requirement since the Wiimote cannot be configured to access the virtual keyboard. It is a shame because now Cap32 supports autoboot with CPC games and both virtual keyboards work outstanding.

Do we want the newer cores to be in the Main folder and the 1.8.8 cores moved to Alternative, or keep the 1.8.8 cores in the Main folder with the newer cores in the Alt folder.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks! :)
Can be this used for games loaded on WiiFlow and on SRLs? :)
Also in Quick Menu/Controls/Port 1 Controls...
You can set Input for any game the way you like, when you are satisfied, back up one screen and click Manage Remap Files/Save Game Remap File/Load Remap File. This should work for SRL and what i use for many individual games through WFL, it certainly is a great feature many users are not aware of that makes RA very competetive with any standalone emulators.

Reactions: SaulFabre

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have found the latest RA Fuse (ZX Spectrum) and RA Cap32 (Amstrad) work great if using Classic Controller but it is a requirement since the Wiimote cannot be configured to access the virtual keyboard. It is a shame because now Cap32 supports autoboot with CPC games and both virtual keyboards work outstanding.
I use FBZX rather than Fuse. It works well with a Wiimote and has a virtual keyboard. It supports a classic controller too, although you have to map the keys. But I get why people want to use Fuse as it is part of RA.
https://wiibrew.org/wiki/FBZX_Wii

I use Wiituka for Amstrad CPC games, and RA Cap32 for Amstrad GX4000 games. It's the only way I've managed to get both to auto-boot!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more