Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
So i was wondering if anyone else has had any problems loading "Large" NeoGeo games, such as Metal Slug 3 or KoF97 onwards? I know you're supposed to use neogeo_vm for that, and build a cache for those games. BUt when i tried that, it didn't work, it did load the game and claimed it was loading the cache but then just hung on a black screen for a while. I wanna confirm it's even possible to get such games working with neogeo_vm, and if so, which games and which neogeo_vm plugin did you use?

Also, as someone who is a total scrub when it comes to knowledge of Arcade Systems in general... are there any resources for sorting ROMs for the Psikyo, PGM, or "Other" plugins? I have no idea what games or ROMs I should even expect to run on those emulators, I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was wondering if anyone else has had any problems loading "Large" NeoGeo games, such as Metal Slug 3 or KoF97 onwards? I know you're supposed to use neogeo_vm for that, and build a cache for those games. BUt when i tried that, it didn't work, it did load the game and claimed it was loading the cache but then just hung on a black screen for a while. I wanna confirm it's even possible to get such games working with neogeo_vm, and if so, which games and which neogeo_vm plugin did you use?

Also, as someone who is a total scrub when it comes to knowledge of Arcade Systems in general... are there any resources for sorting ROMs for the Psikyo, PGM, or "Other" plugins? I have no idea what games or ROMs I should even expect to run on those emulators, I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction?
Getting neogeo_vm working at first was very tetchy for me. Admittedly, this was a few versions ago (my neogeo_vm files are from modpack v5 I believe, possibly v6): I had to use the vanilla RA version, HEXAECO didn't work for any game I tried. Here's my list of several working games:

blazstar
garou
kof2000
mslug5
mslugx

the games are in
USB:\ROMS\fba\neogeo_vm

the generated cache files are in
SD:\retroarch\system\cache\
- #gamename#_cache\

EDIT: and don't forget the stupid bios in the roms directory... I remember adding random files from different ones to the zip file... not sure if that helped getting it to work.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
greetings any way or plugin to load the games directly thanks

I have not set this up through WFL. I figured the regular Neo games were good enough for me but there are a few CD only.

Yes I set this up through USB and it was a pain in the rear end. But eventually got it running and it does run great in my experience.

However when I switched to SD, I remember it being a bigger pain than USB. I'll pull my setup out of my archives and get it going again.

I'll post my setup when I have it running. @cheloruiz79 are you using SD or USB?

Reactions: cheloruiz79

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I have not set this up through WFL. I figured the regular Neo games were good enough for me but there are a few CD only.

Yes I set this up through USB and it was a pain in the rear end. But eventually got it running and it does run great in my experience.

However when I switched to SD, I remember it being a bigger pain than USB. I'll pull my setup out of my archives and get it going again.

I'll post my setup when I have it running. @cheloruiz79 are you using SD or USB?
I'm using sd and everything works fine I just would like the games to start automatically when I select them from wiiflow thanks for answering and for your excellent work

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cheloruiz79

I have Neo CD working correctly through WFL using SD. I'm trying a workaround for USB to boot correctly. I'll post an update config tomorrow after I get it all set up.

I thought this emulator already had a magic number included in the platform.ini, now I have added it. I also think mastershoes made a background I'll have to hunt down to include.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Reactions: cheloruiz79

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
are you guys sure wiituka autorun's the game when using wiiflow v5.4.9?

after more investigation. it appears to me the args are sent to wiituka and received but the game isn't autorun. it never auto types run"1942 or whatever.
if you use the virtual keyboard and type CAT and enter. it shows the game name. then type run"gamename and enter and it runs.

@Wiimpathy any of this make sense?
Just a warning but the autorun feature doesn't work with all games.

@cheloruiz79

I have Neo CD working correctly through WFL using SD. I'm trying a workaround for USB to boot correctly. I'll post an update config tomorrow after I get it all set up.

I thought this emulator already had a magic number included in the platform.ini, now I have added it. I also think mastershoes made a background I'll have to hunt down to include.

As far I know, nobody has ever made a plugin for NeoCD. It won't start the game directly as is.
There are libretro cores out there for this console. Might be cool someone tries to compile them and test.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a warning but the autorun feature doesn't work with all games.

As far I know, nobody has ever made a plugin for NeoCD. It won't start the game directly as is.
There are libretro cores out there for this console. Might be cool someone tries to compile them and test.

Yes it is only booting to the game selection screen for me. Sorry for the misinformation, I need a good sleep.

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
are you guys sure wiituka autorun's the game when using wiiflow v5.4.9?

after more investigation. it appears to me the args are sent to wiituka and received but the game isn't autorun. it never auto types run"1942 or whatever.
if you use the virtual keyboard and type CAT and enter. it shows the game name. then type run"gamename and enter and it runs.

@Wiimpathy any of this make sense?
1942 it is not necessary to type the name of the game on the keyboard

Last edited by matto21,

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how come you guys don't use the cap32 libretro core for amstrad cpc?

i don't have the time to thoroughly recompile wiituka to try to figure out why it won't autorun. but yes it does work with wfl v5.4.9 and there's nothing wrong with the app_booter.bin either. i even reverted my only changes to homebrew booting and it still won't autorun.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pretty sure the autoot issue is the same as no game loaded at all. An extern var (current_path) is also used in the function that explore disk.
It'd be simpler to use cap32. But how is multi disks handled? What about the virtual keyboard. That's a great advantage in Wiituka cause it's zoomed.
Someone has tested this core?

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the autoot issue is the same as no game loaded at all. An extern var (current_path) is also used in the function that explore disk.
It'd be simpler to use cap32. But how is multi disks handled? What about the virtual keyboard. That's a great advantage in Wiituka cause it's zoomed.
Someone has tested this core?
do you have everything needed to compile your wiituka plugin mod?

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68

cap32 runs great but it only autoboots .cpr files, which is no problem if you have the amstrad cpc games converted.

If running original cpc.dsk/cpc.zip files through cap32 it is still required to use commands to boot.

I personally dont have a problem using the commands through wiituka but it would be great if the autoboot feature was still there.

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@cheloruiz79

thanks sir 🤝👍

chrondelta

Wii hacker
Trophies
Website
gofund.me
XP
Country
United States
folks, don't forget to include neogeo.zip in \ROMS\FBA\NeoGeo_VM as well as \ROMS\FBA\NeoGeo

If you don't like seeing two neogeo.zips in your romlist, you can append "|(neogeo.zip)" to the fileskip regex lol.

Edit: but the libretro one doesn't seem to work, it's back to booting up, loading the cache, then hanging at a black screen where i can still access the Retroarch menu. Unsure why Hexaeco works but not this one.

Last edited by chrondelta,
Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1