Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi again @Tetsuo Shima

I want to contribute once more time with your Wiiflow Plugins Pack with this update of Wiicolem (ColecoVision emulator for Wii), hope you can add this to your plugins pack. I had contact with the original author (@raz0red) and he sent me this more recent version of WiiColem. So I will attach here.

This version is Wiicolem 0.4-SNAPSHOT r202110151451 (r15-10-2021)

I will also attach the latest version of WiiMednafen built by @raz0red, it is: WiiMednafen 0.3-SNAPSHOT r202110140057 (r14-10-2021)

Greetings ;)

Attachments

• wiicolem-0_4-SNAPSHOT-202110151451.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
  • wiimednafen-0_3-SNAPSHOT-202110140057.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 73

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey Saul, I'm sorry but I can't work anymore on the pack, or any other project, for the time being.
See the 1st post on this thread.
Hello, Shima. I'm sorry for what I read.I Hope everything goes well for you and your family.
Your contribution is huge, thank you very much.
Take your time and best wishes!

Okko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys,

This post aims at sharing my experience with the location of the Retroarch (Libretro version) config files.

I've read several posts explaining that the Libretro cores need to be hex-edited in order to define a dedicated config file per core. Did you know that actually, regarding the last Retroarch versions, it may be not necessary anymore, because it is a native option of the Retroarch Libretro cores ?

For my own, I'm using the original version 1.9.9 of Retroarch-Wii package (not modded nor hex-edited). In that version, you may manually create some specific config files per core in the folder {device}:/retroarch/config/. They will be read and use by the cores when launched. All the options defined in that config file are prior and replace the ones defined in the main config file.

For instance, I've created the following file for the Game & Watch core : {device}:/retroarch/config/Game & Watch/Game & Watch.cfg. In that file, I've set up my own default directories for savestates and savefiles. Now, when I'm running the Game & Watch games from the Wiiflow plugin, the savestates and savefiles are well saved in the directories set up in my Game & Watch.cfg file.

For your information, if you activate the log output in the Retroarch application, and then launch a core, then you may find in the log file, the config file locations that the application tries to access.

However, I don’t know and haven’t tested yet the compatibility of this version 1.9.9 with Wiiflow plugins (do the cores work, especially FBA ones?…).

Hope this post may interest anyone.

Last edited by Okko,

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Let's see if @RunningSnakes can help me.

At this moment, which retroarch core is recommended to use for Neogeo?

Is it better to use one for normal roms and another one for big roms or is it not necessary?

I'm using the core that is in retroarch-wii (last plugin pack) and I thought that it was enough but King of fighters 98, after a while running, it slows down so much that you can't play it.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Let's see if @RunningSnakes can help me.

At this moment, which retroarch core is recommended to use for Neogeo?

Is it better to use one for normal roms and another one for big roms or is it not necessary?

I'm using the core that is in retroarch-wii (last plugin pack) and I thought that it was enough but King of fighters 98, after a while running, it slows down so much that you can't play it.

Standalone RetroArch Wii by Libretro (@LibretroRetroArc) is now too broken. I highly recommend using RA-HEXAECO, @SuperrSonic's mod of RetroArch Wii (download link).

fba_neogeo.dol core is only for normal (small & medium size) NeoGeo romsets (ex. Fatal Fury 2, KOF '94, Metal Slug 1, Blue's Journey, Super Dodge Ball, etc.)
fba2012_neogeo_vm.dol core is only for bigger (large size) NeoGeo romsets (ex. KOF 2002, Metal Slug 5, Samurai Shodown V, Power Instinct 4: Matrimelee, Rage of the Dragons, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, etc.) Big thanks goes to @Wiimpathy to this special core.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Okko and Jate

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jate
To be honest, I have not tested the official NEO core much. I personally Hex edited all RA to use in my own setup & re-Hex edit the SuperrSonic cores to use their own individual configurations. @Tetsuo Shima and I tinkered with the idea to use the setup in the plug-in pack but determined it would be Overkill and not really beneficial to other end users, not to mention problems it would possibly create. After testing many/most NEO GEO games using RA-SS NEO-VM core that I re-mod Hex edited, I personally believe the regular NEO core is not needed. The VM core plays everything in the library, but my testing was not thorough and the slowdown in KOF 98 might rear it's slowdown. I do believe the official RA FBA core has better compatibility since I've been working on a stand-alone emu/channel for that core the past few days and confirm a few games working in RA FBA and not working in RA-SS FBA. As for Arcade cores, stick with @Wiimpathy mod cores. For CPS1-CPS2, the RA cores are recommended. RA-SS cores will present input conflicts, using these RA-SS cores if re-Hex edited work great and what I personally use. To summarize I only use Official RA cores for Game & Watch and Cave Story (nxengine) , everything else is Wiimpathy Arcade cores and RA-SS cores.

Okko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Standalone RetroArch Wii by Libretro is now too broken.

Hi everybody!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

As far as I've tested, the officially released (not nightly built) version 1.9.9 of the Retroarch Wii by Libretro seems to work pretty fine. Especially, I don't face any issues with the fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro_wii.dol core, even as standalone wiiflow plugin. Plus, we are able to define some settings per core, like default savefiles path or default resolution, without hex-editing the dol application (cf. post https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-gre...tm-a-call-for-adventurers.563575/post-9631315).

I'd rather precise that I anyway prefer using RA-HEXAECO by SuperrSonic.

Okko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I personally re-Hex edit the SuperrSonic cores to use their own individual configurations.

Hi @RunningSnakes,

Hope you're fine.
May I ask you two questions, just for my personal information :
1. You're talking about RA-SS in your post => are you well talking about RA-SS and not RA-HEXAECO, aren't you ? I ask because, as you may know, those are two different forks by SuperrSonic, so I'd rather be sure understanding your post.
2. You said that you hex-edit the SuperrSonic cores => because those are the RA-SS cores, right ? I ask because in the RA-HEXAECO cores, passing the config file as an argument is a native option, so again I'd rather be sure understanding your post.

Thanks for your feedback, and have a nice day.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Okko

As far as I know RA-SS & RA-Hexaeco are the same fork release, just called different by members here including myself.

Yes, passing each core cfg arguments is the idea, but when changing input configuration on a few cores (CPS-2 for example) conflicts will occur with other cores. If you use the CPS-2 core and change input cfg in player 2, it will make a mess of several different cores configurations. Before doing this, I recommend backing up your files or your saved work will be lost.

As previously mentioned, I threw the idea at @Tetsuo Shima to include these modded cores into the pack but scratched the idea. It is the very reason I recommend the official RA CPS-1, CPS-2 cores over Hexaeco. The Arcade cores also have these input conflicts, but after re-Hex, the issue does not exist.

Reactions: Okko and SaulFabre

Okko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As far as I know RA-SS & RA-Hexaeco are the same fork release, just called different by members here including myself.

Yes, passing each core cfg arguments is the idea, but when changing input configuration on a few cores (CPS-2 for example) conflicts will occur with other cores. If you use the CPS-2 core and change input cfg in player 2, it will make a mess of several different cores configurations. Before doing this, I recommend backing up your files or your saved work will be lost.

Thanks @RunningSnakes , it's crystal clear !
And by the way, I haven't understood that RA-SS and RA-HEXAECO were the same branch. A lot of other posts and blogs now make sense to me, thanks again ;-)

Tototi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Friends,

Which Wiiflow plugin do you use to play Carrier Air Wing and Forgotten Worlds games, both on the CPS1 board? These games are problematic on the Final Burn Alpha CPS1 and Mame 2000 Cores.

I found a Mame 2003+ H core, which I keep attached (https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/post-9016183), on which they run perfectly, but I couldn't get it to work as a Wiiflow plugin. If anyone manages and wants to post the argument used, I will be very grateful.

Attachments

• MAME2003Plus_H.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited by Tototi,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tototi

I did not know this problem existed with those games. I have tried 4 CPS1 games with this core you provided and they all work, I wonder if the whole CPS1 library works with this. However I too have tried a few different arguments but cannot get WFL to play games. I will post if I can find a solution. Thank you for making this a known problem.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friends,

Which Wiiflow plugin do you use to play Carrier Air Wing and Forgotten Worlds games, both on the CPS1 board? These games are problematic on the Final Burn Alpha CPS1 and Mame 2000 Cores.

I found a Mame 2003+ H core, which I keep attached (https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/post-9016183), on which they run perfectly, but I couldn't get it to work as a Wiiflow plugin. If anyone manages and wants to post the argument used, I will be very grateful.
rev5 and rev6 of this plugin pack included the MAME2003+ H plugin. In rev6 the path is COPY_TO_SD_OR_USB\wiiflow\plugins\Arcade\MAME_2003_plus\. Here's the ini contents with arguments:

[PLUGIN]
arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}
bannersound=Arcade/mame.ogg
consolecoverid=
covercolor=000000
coverfolder=mame
displayname=MAME2003plus-Core_H (Retroarch)
dolfile=Arcade/MAME_2003_plus/mame_dols/MAME2003Plus_H.dol
filetypes=.zip
magic=6d616d53
romdir=roms/MAME2003/coreH
rompartition=0

Tototi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Tototi

I did not know this problem existed with those games. I have tried 4 CPS1 games with this core you provided and they all work, I wonder if the whole CPS1 library works with this. However I too have tried a few different arguments but cannot get WFL to play games. I will post if I can find a solution. Thank you for making this a known problem.
I haven't tested them all, but I think they will all work. Thanks for trying to find a solution.

rev5 and rev6 of this plugin pack included the MAME2003+ H plugin. In rev6 the path is COPY_TO_SD_OR_USB\wiiflow\plugins\Arcade\MAME_2003_plus\. Here's the ini contents with arguments:

[PLUGIN]
arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}
bannersound=Arcade/mame.ogg
consolecoverid=
covercolor=000000
coverfolder=mame
displayname=MAME2003plus-Core_H (Retroarch)
dolfile=Arcade/MAME_2003_plus/mame_dols/MAME2003Plus_H.dol
filetypes=.zip
magic=6d616d53
romdir=roms/MAME2003/coreH
rompartition=0
Yes, I know this core created by @Wiimpathy , I use it on Wiiflow with some old Capcom games that don't work on FBA. However it doesn't work with CPS1 games, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No luck so far. Carrier Air Wing is hit/miss for me. Sometimes I make it through 1st level but most times it will freeze at same point. Forgotten Worlds will not start game. I have tried...

1. Hexaeco CPS1 - Same Results
2. Hexaeco CPS1 Mod - CAW works but same result with Forgotten.
3. Hexaeco FBNEO pacgal20C1C2 - CAW works but Forgotten black screens.

I tried 3-4 more arguments with the core you posted with no luck through WFL. I have a few more tests maybe possible and will keep you informed of results. Sorry for bad news.

Reactions: Tototi

Tototi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, both games "work" on the old Mame-Wii, which can be used as a Wiiflow plugin, but the emulator is far from good, it skips frames by default, the sound is bad, it doesn't support 240p, etc.

@RunningSnakes , I didn't know the retroarch Wii had an FBNEO core, I will test it with other non-FBA compliant games.

Thanks for your help and congratulations for keeping this thread alive and up to date in the absence of our friend Tetsuo Shima.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Long awaited update to Plug-in Pack. If or when mistakes are found please report asap so they can be fixed. A changelog is included in the download.
Thank you so much @RunningSnakes for this great update of Wiiflow Plugins Pack!

Will you add the latest versions of WiiMednafen & Wiicolem, as well as with other emulators (FCEUX TX, Snes9x TX, Not64, etc...)?

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"