Hacking The Great Quest for Wiiflow Plugins™ - A call for adventurers!

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @RunningSnakes

I've normalized all plugin audio files to the same audio level and sample rate. Now you no longer fall off the sofa when you look at an Atari 2660 title. :rofl2:

ffmpeg-normalize -of out -ar 44100 --dual-mono --audio-codec libvorbis -ofmt ogg -ext ogg -f *.ogg

Thank you very much sir. Will be included in the next release.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Someone here was able to play Cotton Arcade game? It crashes Mame Core D when I try it, "This game wont work" screen on Core D2. I've seen someone asking about this game here but he never reported back if it worked or not.
The same ROM runs on FBA core but veeery slowly.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Someone here was able to play Cotton Arcade game? It crashes Mame Core D when I try it, "This game wont work" screen on Core D2. I've seen someone asking about this game here but he never reported back if it worked or not.
the pc engine cd version works quite well .the arcade vercion not working for me

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This game is only working correctly with Mame Wii.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using RA's nightly build and update ones a week in the hope they repair it. Yes, I use the wide core as the default Sega core, cause I prefer RA over stand alone emulators.

Ok, so ive tested the RA GenPlusGX Wide and the results are not good IMO.

1. Playing Genesis games, the left side of screen is crippled while scrolling to the right.

2. Playing CD games, there is a mirror effect on both the left and right side screen making some games nearly unplayable.

The RA 1.8.8 included in the current plugins pack works very well without issues. It is a shame the RA Sega GX core hasn't got proper attention over the last 12-15 releases to a point when loading the core itself, the result is black screen freeze.

The RA Hexaeco GenPlus GX Wide core is far superior BUT does not support CHD loading. Although it does play games correctly without mentioned issues.

All things considered, if you need a second option to the Official GX stand-alone, the BEST alternatives for Genesis/CD games are Hexaeco & RA 1.8.8 which are currently in the plugins pack.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we once have configuration for PicoDrive if the plugin pack?
Yes, it is still there but in the Alternative folderfor Mega CD. It runs fairly well with CD games in my limited testing but Mega Drive/Genesis support is pretty bad. Just one example i can think of is Contra HC, where scrolling is impossible and the graphics are a garbled mess.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yeah i know it's offtopic but @SuperrSonic time ago added fceumm-mod by Tippek to RA-HEXAECO for support a romhack made by Corpse Grinder "Super Mario Bros. 1/3".

Read:
For RA-Hexaeco:

- Added: fceumm-mod by Tippek, adds support for an advanced romhack called SMB 1/3, you may need to go to input settings first and change the type to gamepad.

@SuperrSonic
But on December 23, 2021 this got updated for support the new 1.1 version of the SMB 1/3 romhack.
On latest RA-HEXAeco that fceumm-mod core didn't got updated, because when tried that core with the new version of this and it loaded but it is unplayable due to severely corrupted graphics.
It only works with 1.0 of that romhack, which it's a shame because 1.1 has bugfixes and other changes, as i've explained in this post on GitHub: https://github.com/SuperrSonic/RA-SS/issues/42

If you want to test that new code of Tippek's repo with 1.1, PM me and i will send the 1.1 file.
(I couldn't compile the new core by myself :( )

Thanks!

Last edited by SaulFabre,
Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this bug report will wake up the developers.
Great news regarding Genesis Plus GX Wide core. In Core Options/Video/Extra Columns H40 Widescreen...Set this to 0 and it fixes all issues with Genesis & CD games.

I wonder if the original core will become obsolete since the Wide core offers many more options and is being maintained/updated. It also offers quality options for Master System and Game Gear that are present in the SMSPlus core.

At any rate, i am satisfied with the Wide core being the #1 alternative and will replace 1.8.8 in the main plugin folder for Sega CD/MD/MS/GG/1000 games. 1.8.8 will still be available in the Alternative folder.

@ukigh4ie
Thank you for shedding some light on this subject being a huge Sega fan as i know many of us are. I had been very disappointed in the RA Sega cores as i thought they were becoming a disaster. Now i can say proper testing was not being done on my side but now am a very happy with this stellar core.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
In Core Options/Video/Extra Columns H40 Widescreen...Set this to 0 and it fixes all issues with Genesis & CD games.

Well, the point of the 'Wide' core is actually to display extra columns which are normally not displayed (on real hardware) but are still rendered by the game (in preparation for scrolling). It does nothing more, really, just showing extra columns that are normally meant to be hidden. That's why it's buggy in most games. By setting the number of extra columns to 0, you are basically disabling the 'Wide' feature and reverting to original core behavior.

I wonder if the original core will become obsolete since the Wide core offers many more options and is being maintained/updated. It also offers quality options for Master System and Game Gear that are present in the SMSPlus core.
Well, the wide core is actually less up-to-date than the normal libretro core in regard to the standalone GPGX application (from which emulation fixes or enhancements come from). Both non-wide and wide libretro cores have the same set of features, with some additional features compared to standalone (like overclock or sprites limit removal).

Last edited by Jacobeian,
Reactions: fandango

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By setting the number of extra columns to 0, you are basically disabling the 'Wide' feature and reverting to original core behavior.
That is the point. The original core has not been usable since 1.9.0 for the Wii. If you try to load the Original core, the console freezes and requires hard reset.

Well, the wide core is actually less up-to-date than the normal libretro core in regard to the standalone GPGX application (from which emulation fixes or enhancements come from). Both non-wide and wide libretro cores have the same set of features, with some additional features compared to standalone (like overclock or sprites limit removal).
Im well aware the standalone is up-to-date, this isn't my first rodeo. But we are talking about the best Alternative Sega plugin for the standalone if one prefers RA as their main plugin.

(Hide Master System Side Borders) is a nice option that is not available in the Original RA core as of 1.9.0. If it is indeed an option in the newer Original Genesis Plus GX core, one could not access it, since as stated a handful of times before, the Original core is unusable.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've noticed the Retroarch wiimednafen pc engine core is suposed to run .chd files, I just tried one but it won't load. When I try from Wiiflow it just starts the core and when I try to load via core it don't show a option to start the game

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I've noticed the Retroarch wiimednafen pc engine core is suposed to run .chd files, I just tried one but it won't load. When I try from Wiiflow it just starts the core and when I try to load via core it don't show a option to start the game
I just tried the 3 cores of pcecd retroarch, mednafen, hexaeco and only in the pce cd (retroarch) did the chd work for me.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users