1. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I also think it's cleaner this way. But there are a few plugins that may require a specific folder:

uae/floppies/
    apps/wiituka/DISKS
    wiiapple
    hatari/cfg
    MSX/Games
    quasi88/disk
    apps/dcvg5k/software
    fbzx-wii/tapes
    wiisxr/isos
    /mame (Mame Wii)

Some of the above may have a different game's folder. That'd need a re-check. But those emulators can have a required root folder structure anyway.

2. Tetsuo Shima

OP Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    @fledge68 You are right, separate folders are needed when using multiple magic numbers, and many computer emulators need specific rom folders. Maybe I could use common folders just for the "main" systems (nes, genesis, snes...) and people who want to mix these plugins could simply create subfolders (e.g. roms/nes/emu1)

That list is of great help @Wiimpathy I would also add Frodo:
    frodo/Games ---> for .sav files (I'm using it to boot savestates in Wiiflow, for no loading times)
    frodo/images ---> for disks and tapes

I'm having some trouble with vectrex, it always boots the same game (an asteroids clone), no matter which game I try to launch.
    But I changed the romfolder from vec to roms/vectrex, I'll try to change it back to see if it works.

xLAKITUx likes this.
  3. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here is my roms folder structure for reference....

roms/Arcade/CPS1
    roms/Arcade/CPS2
    roms/Arcade/FBA
    roms/Arcade/MAME 2003+
    roms/Arcade/Neo Geo

roms/Atari/Atari 2600
    roms/Atari/Atari 7800
    roms/Atari/Atari Lynx

roms/Neo Pocket

roms/Nintendo/Famicom Disk
    roms/Nintendo/GameBoy/GB
    roms/Nintendo/GameBoy/GBA
    roms/Nintendo/GameBoy/GBC
    roms/Nintendo/Game-Watch
    roms/Nintendo/NES
    roms/Nintendo/SNES
    roms/Nintendo/Virtual Boy

roms/PCEngine/CD
    roms/PCEngine/HuCard

roms/ScummVM

roms/Sega/Game Gear
    roms/Sega/Master System
    roms/Sega/Mega Drive
    roms/Sega/Sega CD
    roms/Sega/SG-1000

roms/Vectrex

roms/Wonderswan

Ill post my Vectrex folder...

The MAME folder is separated by cores and everything else i use needs its own specific path.

Attached Files:

Last edited by RunningSnakes, May 21, 2020
    xLAKITUx, Tetsuo Shima and Hakaisha like this.
  4. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    @RunningSnakes thanks. I see in your vectrex.ini you still have romdir=vec, not roms/vectrex

RunningSnakes likes this.
  5. RunningSnakes

United States
    Thanks for pointing that out @Tetsuo Shima , did not realize it was still that way. It was working so didn't bother changing path.

I did change path to...
    roms/Vectrex

Everything is still working properly it seems. I quickly tested 3 games & all is good.

6. xLAKITUx

xLAKITUx Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    YES YES YES! So pumped for this

Hakaisha and RunningSnakes like this.
  7. RunningSnakes

United States
    I'll give my latest results.

GB/GBC
    RA 1.8.1 - Has every feature & stable.
    WiiMednafen 0.2-pre - A very solid alternative.

NES/FDS
    FCEUltraRX - Runs everything without issues.

WiiMednafen 0.2-pre - Crosshair is not working for Light Gun games when used as WFL plugin. Some translations & hacks do not boot (mapper support).

FCEUltraGX Tanookie - Works well but I get freeze very often with this fork.

FCEUltraGX Official - Have not tested latest version, but the freeze issue has always been a problem for me with this emulator.

alexander1970, xLAKITUx and Hakaisha like this.
  8. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    Some tests results:

beetle_pce_fast core (Retroarch 1.7.6) from Fledge's pack
    It's working good for both Hucards and CD's. I've tested a good 30 Pce Cd games, including Gate of Thunder (first two levels). I'm using CD Image Cache enabled (Quick menu -> Options). The only game where I keep hearing loud scratchy noises is Spriggan Mark II (on the 1st level, after the intro). Every other game runs perfectly, no audio noises or skipping video frames.
    I'll try to find a different dump for Spriggan Mark II.

Scumm VM also works as separate plugin for non Dos/Win games (Amiga, C64, etc.). I'll include a ReadMe with instructions to create them.
    For example, I'm using it to have C64 Zak Mckracken in my C64 coverflow (way better than playing it on Frodo). And it's my favourite version of the game.
    There's only one big limitation (unless @Wiimpathy knows a workaround for this): you can't do it for multiple games at once. You have to create a plugin for each game you want to add, because in the argument line you have to type the name found in scummvm.ini (e.g. zak).
    However, it's a nice feature to have.

Uae Wii v.12
    I'm really impressed by how much it improved with this update. Last time I tried, performances were not really good.
    But now I'm having a blast playing the three Turrican games (extended .adf are also working, to avoid disk swapping), or Shadow of the beast serie with really great performances.
    I'm having some incompatitbility with some games (like Wolfchild) but I'll try with other dumps.
    There are still some issues with the mouse (same invisible barriers as Dosbox) but you can play most of the Joystick games with no issues.

Satellaview on snes9xgx.ini
    I'm not familiar at all with the Satellaview. It's surely a weird system.
    All the doors in the village are closed. I don't know how you started the games on Satellaview.
    If I press Home I can see the correct game title on top, so I think the game was booted correctly. But I can't do anything.
    I'm using:
    arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}
    and
    arguments={device}:/{path}/|{name}|{loader}
    no difference

Vectrex
    The emulator doesn't boot into the game, but I'm in the menu.
    I can select and run the games from there, but that's not how it should work.
    I'm using
    arguments={device}:/{path}/{name}

alexander1970 and RunningSnakes like this.
  9. xLAKITUx

xLAKITUx Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    A couple things --

1. @fledge68 - Hoping for a speedy recovery. Your health is the utmost priority, and I really appreciate all the work you've done in this WiiFlow project since the beginning
    2. Everyone else - Also really appreciate the work that's been done - especially involving stuff in this thread. I think it's majorly overdue that we have the most optimized emulators, cores, and associated files
    3. The anal-retentive organizer in me cannot wait to completely wipe the plugin folders on my drive and replace them with these fine-tuned dols, inis -- In its current state, my Wii feels like a messy room with someone else's crap thrown all over the place.
    4. Do you guys recommend I wait it out a week or so for there to be some kind of definitive pack (similar to Abz Masterpiece had years back)??

alexander1970 and RunningSnakes like this.
  10. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    healh update for you and anyone else that missed it. I'm fine. no covid 19. had some stomach virus or maybe an ulcer that caused a fever and headaches. fever and headaches gone. been taking omeprazole acid reducer and my stomach seems to be back to normal as well.
    so I'm doing good. thank you.

11. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    I'm slowly making some progress with the plugins but I'm still very, very far from finished.
    For now I'm focusing on some Console and Computer emus, and that's enough to make my head explode :lol:
    I don't know how long will it take for me to have a complete pack.

@fledge68 I'm happy to hear good news from you!

12. xLAKITUx

xLAKITUx Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That's awesome to hear. Stomach bugs can be straight-up terrible, but in the grand scheme of things - that's really good news.

13. MrSW

MrSW GBAtemp Regular

Brunei
    RA Gambatte (and WiiMednafen) is missing one key feature for me, and that's Super Game Boy support, it's one of the main reasons why I stick with emGBA

Last edited by MrSW, May 25, 2020
    xLAKITUx and Tetsuo Shima like this.
  14. RunningSnakes

United States
    [PLUGIN]
    displayname=Vectrex
    magic=56454358
    coverfolder=Vectrex
    dolfile=Vectrex/vectrex.dol
    romdir=roms/Vectrex
    filetypes=.vec
    consolecoverid=nintendo
    covercolor=ff0000
    bannersound=Vectrex/vectrex.ogg
    arguments={device}:/{path}/{name}

^^im using the same as you^^ and Vectrex games are booting correctly for me. Ill test again to see if it is still working.

Exactly what "Super Game Boy" features are you referring to? emGBA SGB borders are not working well (Contra) & last i tested there were a few games not working (Asteroids/Missile Command) was one that ill retest again. The killer for me with emGBA is the fact you cannot customize your screen size for GB/GBC games the way you can with GBA games through the meta.xml arguments (If this can be done please enlighten me as to how). RA Gambatte palette support is the clear winner for me. Although it does not support borders, for me it is not an issue since i want to play these games in full screen. I am going to retest emGBA for the GB/GBC to see if has made any improvements & get back. I think having input from many people will really help for these type of examples where @MrSW prefers an emulator for very good reason, while i prefer a different emulator. This is where recommended/alternatives are really useful.

15. MrSW

MrSW GBAtemp Regular

Brunei
    Some games were enhanced specifically for the Super Game Boy. No GB emulator on any platform is able to fully emulate the SGB itself due to it being reliant on the SNES hardware. Still, plenty of GB emulators are able to make use of the enhancements of these GB games designed for the SGB. If by Contra you mean Operation C then you didn't experience any difference because it is not a an SGB enhanced game. But if you try for example Donkey Kong, Game & Watch Gallery or Donkey Kong Land the differences should be obvious
    These enhancements are custom borders (which are sometimes dynamic like Wario Land 2 or G&W Gallery) but most importantly colorizations much more elaborate than a simple pallete swap.
    This is not to say that Gambatte custom palletes for regular GB games should be dismissed, as they are naturally a big plus, but in my opinion emGBA is at least a worthy alternative.

RunningSnakes likes this.
  16. RunningSnakes

United States
    Yes I agree, the borders are a nice feature. After quick test I see Asteroids/Missile Command does work now. I was referring to Contra - Alien Wars, and this is still a problem game as borders are distorted, also Kid Icarus - Myths & Monsters is not displaying in its SGB palette. I'll be keeping an eye on new releases to see if things are still being fixed/improved on the GB/GBC. 1. Full screen support would be awesome 2. GB games without SGB custom palette should have at least the standard SGB default palette option.

17. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    Update on the Beetle pce fast (RA 1.7.6) for PC engine CD:
    I tried another dump of Spriggan Mark II (.iso/.cue) and it works great with no audio issues.
    The previous iso of the game was very big, strangely (1,05GB). This one is under the 700 MB. My guess is that I was using a bad image.
    There is no video skipping. Some audio stuttering can happen (eg during boss fights in Castlevania) but only if you have overlay activated.
    With display overlay off everything's fine. So, no scanlines overlay here, but apart from that, no issues at all.
    I think it will be my first choice for PC Engine CD :)

Arcade Mame 2003, Mame-Wii, FB Alpha, FBA cps1, cps2, cps3 vm, pgm vm, psikyo vm.
    Completed the arcade plugins using the new folder structure, including the updated pgm and psikyo. from Wiimpathy They work similarly to the Cps3 Vm core, I tested a couple of games and they run really fine.:yay:

18. RunningSnakes

United States
    I also went back to 176 to test the PCE cores after reading Tetsuo's success. I'm happy to confirm I have no freeze/stutter/skipping with either the Fast or SGFX cores. As expected the SGFX core plays all CD/Hu/SGFX. Again trying 181 SGFX & 182 Fast cores immediately after, I was able to reproduce the skipping on Kaze Kiri & Gate Of Thunder using both cores. Strange enough I have this skip randomly happen on PCECD games using WiiMednafen as well. In fact last night playing Gate Of Thunder it occured two separate times 1st level and 4th or 5th level. Tonight playing through first level & half 2nd level, WiiMednafen had no problems. So I'm with @Tetsuo Shima , I'm leaning....

PCEngine - HuCard & SGFX
    RA 176 SGFX core
    WiiMednafen

PCEngine CD
    RA 176 Fast core
    WiiMednafen

Tetsuo Shima and alexander1970 like this.
  19. RunningSnakes

United States
    Also, I've found CD Image Cache enabled using SGFX core breaks CD support.

Tetsuo Shima likes this.
  20. Tetsuo Shima

Italy
    Snes and Satellaview:
    I can safely say that Snes9x RX is the best option for both.
    It's the best for performance and features. Furthermore, it's the only plugin that properly boots into the BS games!
    It requires the Satellaview bios in the snes9xgx folder, but Roms can be placed anywhere else.
    Really excellent work @niuus :)

Question for everyone:
    Some plugins require the game data to be in the apps/ folder and not in root. So in these cases the dol files could also be launched from apps/..., instead of wiiflow/plugins/...
    Is it ok for you? Or do you prefer to have a copy of every dol in wiiflow/plugins/... ?
    It seems we have to include the apps folders in the pack anyway:unsure:

xLAKITUx, Hakaisha and RunningSnakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - adventurers, Plugins™, Wiiflow