The GPD Win 2 Waiting Room

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ever since Liliputing posted up their two articles about the GPD Win 2 last week I've been wondering if it would be a good replacement for my gaming PC. It's gotten to the point that I have been watching at core "m3-7y30 gaming" videos on YouTube to get an idea of what to expect. The fact that this thing can run CEMU at an OK pace really intrigues me. I might even consider selling off my Wii U (but keep all the controllers obviously). Anyone else in the same boat, just waiting to see what this device can really do. If what I'm doing with my gaming tablet is any indication, as long as the hardware is decent,m I can turn this baby into a home/portable hybrid beast!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes yes you sell your Wii U and keep your Ouya...

Lol. My OUYA isn't even functioning anymore and I actually moved on from that to the Fire TV 2 and after that I've been hunting down Windows ports of Android games to just play on Windows. Most Android developers have given up on controller games so no point in investing time on a Android box for gaming.

*Snipped due to silly websites giving conflicting info*

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Flame

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So I hunted down the specs, they're very nice for a device the size of a 3DS XL.

6 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel capacitive touchscreen display with Gorilla Glass 4
Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake processor
8GB of LPDDR3-1866 memory
128GB of solid state storage (it’s an M.2 2242 SSD card that’s user replaceable)
802.11ace WiFi
Bluetooth 4.2
Stereo speakers
Dual 4,900 mAh batteries (9,800 mAh, 37.24Wh total)
Dual vibration motors
USB 3.0 Type-C, USB 3.0 Tyep-A, micro HDMI, 3.5mm audio, and microSD card ports
6.4″ x 3.9″ x 1″
1 pound (chunky :tpi: )

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-...w-design-6-inch-screen-core-m3-processor.html

It would be nice if they aimed at the launch price of the original GPD Win (and the original version got a price cut).

Lighty, is the size a major factor for you? There are Windows tablets out there with comparable specs, but 10'' in size. I'm a huge sucker for the size and form factor of the GPD Win but if you're looking for a general portable Windows device there are alternatives.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we're quoting liliputing, it looks like what I snipped from my last post was correct. From what I can gather, GPD has three devices on the way.

GPD Win 2
6 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel capacitive touchscreen display with Gorilla Glass 4
Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake processor
8GB of LPDDR3-1866 memory
128GB of solid state storage (it’s an M.2 2242 SSD card that’s user replaceable)
802.11ace WiFi
Bluetooth 4.2
Stereo speakers
Dual 4,900 mAh batteries (9,800 mAh, 37.24Wh total)
Dual vibration motors
USB 3.0 Type-C, USB 3.0 Tyep-A, micro HDMI, 3.5mm audio, and microSD card ports
6.4″ x 3.9″ x 1″
1 pound

GPD XD 2
5.5" / 360 degree screen+hinge
Android OS (version not listed in the article)
Intel Atom x5-Z8500 Cherry Trail processor
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage:
Source: https://liliputing.com/2016/03/gpd-xd2-handheld-android-game-console-coming-soon.html
Note: If this one is still on the way, this device should be dual OS and be the mid range item. I've seen the Atom z5-Z8500 play Overwatch on YouTube. That alone is freaking awesome!

GPD XD+
MediaTek MTK8176 processor with 2 ARM Cortex-A72 CPU cores, 4 ARM Cortex-A53 CPU cores
PowerVR GX6250 graphics
4GB of RAM
Source: https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-xd-handheld-game-console-4gb-ram-mtk8176-coming-soon.html
Note: This is looking to be a damn good emulation machine. There is video of this device playing Wind Waker and I'm impressed.

SNIP
Lighty, is the size a major factor for you? There are Windows tablets out there with comparable specs, but 10'' in size. I'm a huge sucker for the size and form factor of the GPD Win but if you're looking for a general portable Windows device there are alternatives.

Veho, size is a factor. Right now I'm using a Acer Iconia 8 W4. With proper tweaks, i have a nice collection of PC games running well. I was originally going to focus on the GPD Win 2 and just replace both my tablet and "Steam machine". Note, I play all my PC games at 720p high-ultra so I'm not hurting for a 1080p or 4K experience. That said I've realized that there are good reasons to keep the Steam machine around and will be willing to continue my "companion device" setup (PC + tablet) under the right reasons. I'm now hoping that the GPD XD2 will be a thing. I'm loving that 360 degree hinge and it would be lovely if someone can get both Android and Windows running on that thing. I can really see myself using it a lot.

Last edited by LightyKD,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to go for a GPD Win 1 (provided that I win one of these eBay auctions :P ). Any GPD Win 1 owners here have any advice? I can assume that most games should play well on 800x600? I tend to use that resolution a lot on my Windows tablet and get fairly decent results. I also spotted an extended shell for the bottom half of the GPD Win to keep it from getting too hot. I'll link to it if anyone is interested.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm still in doubt here. It's clearly a massive upgrade over the first. And while the one should be enough for the majority of my choice of games, I have to do the occasional tweaking or conclude that the screen is simply too small. The OS also takes up half the free hard disk space.
The thing is: the price isn't cheap. Even considering that I don't have to buy actual games for it (I already have plenty), it's not the kind of money I can easily spare.

I'd love to have a GDP win or GDP laptop.
Purely for the fact that I could take it with me and do me computing needs on the go then.
Erm...if "computing needs" mean "gaming needs", then all's okay. But the keyboard of the first GPD Win is criticized for good reason: the keys are simply put too small to type any but the most basic words (heck...I can type faster on a tablet). And navigating multiple windows isn't fun either.

I decided to go for a GPD Win 1 (provided that I win one of these eBay auctions :P ). Any GPD Win 1 owners here have any advice? I can assume that most games should play well on 800x600?
For the first question, I can link to my shabby review on the thing.
As for the latter: assuming the result is still readable/visible (remember: 5.5 inch isn't that much), things will run smoothly.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Erm...if "computing needs" mean "gaming needs", then all's okay. But the keyboard of the first GPD Win is criticized for good reason: the keys are simply put too small to type any but the most basic words (heck...I can type faster on a tablet). And navigating multiple windows isn't fun either.

I love UMPC hardware.
Hell I used me Shift for a long time before it simply became to outdated.

I'm mostly going to use it to back up data from me dashcam when I'm away from home longer then 20 hours or on a long trip.
Use it to download things, copy things over.

Shit that phones can't do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr