Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
So it's clear to me that people always go about handshakes in different ways. Wherever I go, no one seems to do one with a firm grip and shake, but rather instead go entirely limp in their arms and make for an awkward "broken arm" handshake. I don't find it annoying, just rather confusing. My best guess is that the people in my age group aren't sure how to do handshakes when done with someone their own age.

The few people who do the firm and confident handshakes are usually adults, since teenagers apparently think handshakes are uncool in favor of some dumb shit like a high-five. Seriously, since when was this a thing?

Personally, I have pretty strong hand perspiration, meaning I usually avoid hand contact in general. The past years have been improving, since I just make sure to wash two or three times extra per day and use some hand lotions daily.

My point of discussion here is what's the right way to do a handshake?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It depends entirely on the situation. Meeting your new boss? Go strong, but don't let his hand "overcome" yours. Meeting a friend? Shake however the fuck you want. Meeting a new person? Keep it firm.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
[yt]ws2-opew52Q[/yt]

I too don't like handshakes due to the same reason, but when I do shake hands with someone, I usually try to squeeze relatively hard, then think that it might be too hard, change my mind half-way through and it all results in either a bad accuracy handshake or a limp one. I'm bad at handshakes, really.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Firm! Keep it firm. Movement isn't often done, unless initiated by the other person. That's the way I do it with most people, and how I receive them. Moist limp ones make me squirm, but I usually get those where I wouldn't expect. Usually at the bank, where you'd expect proper ones :/

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Being someone afflicted with large, skinny and moist hands, I really work hard to keep my hands as soft and sexy as possible, meaning I do manicures (a secret I keep from many people, for pretty obvious reasons). I also do this because I can go playing guitar much longer with some well-treated hands, though I'm sure my hand-care has some other positive applications... :creep:
1JYyX.png

Reactions: 2 people

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My point of discussion here is what's the right way to do a handshake?

As with anything related to culture and social interaction, there is no right or wrong way.
Just a bunch of different ways that are each preferred by a different number of people.

Thus the best thing you can do is handle handshakes however is most comfortable for you (making exceptions only when someone you need to impress prefers their handshakes in another specific way).

That said, there are obviously handshakes inbetween "limp" and "crush their fingers". And both extremes are not very enjoyable for whoever receives them.

snakepliskin2334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what hand shake i do the one from metal gear solid 2 between otocoon and snake in the one cut sceen before they go into arsenl gear oh yea thats bad ass right there !

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's got to be firm else what message are you conveying? That you don't have the energy or just don't care?

It's also pretty evident when a firm handshake becomes a "AREN'T I MANLY!!!" event just by gauging the other person's body language. Just be confident but not the Hulk or Wet Willy.....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with sticking some moisturising cream on your hands (personally I like the bodyshop hemp hand cream although I did almost destroy the shop last time I went in it and costco seem to be doing a good line in neutrogena (£6 or so for 3 tubes vs the silly money it was a few years back) so I tend to grab some during airport runs)- having cracked and weeping hands is not manly it is just masochism (and not even the good variety).

As for sweat I believe there is a surgery (varies a bit but doable under local, very much keyhole, bugger all recovery time and done as an outpatient) to pinch a nerve a bit to stop it. I know several climbers and tradesmen that went in for it (having a pick slide out of your hands up an ice wall is not very nice and having a hammer slide out up some scaffolding is not much better).

Back on topic being somewhat taller than most people I meet (by no means tall but I do not tend to be accused of being short) and in general I tend to prefer a method that a lot of people find odd and will go in with my hand above theirs and mine tilted at 45 degrees. Friends... for some reason the classic medieval knife check is the order of the day. Either way wrenching an arm or crushing a hand is bad form but limp wrist is probably worse.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Firm grip, eye contact if possible (I tend to miss the actual eyes and tend to stare at the general vicinity of the right earlobe but it's the thought that counts, right? Right?...) And commitment on the part of the other person is a must, I hate it when people don't reciprocate the enthusiasm and instead flinch from the maniac reaching after them with a waxen grin on his face and a glassy stare aimed at their ear, and then I only manage to grab the fingers instead of the full-on palm to palm action. What am I supposed to do with your flimsy digits? It's either the full metacarpal set or nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more