Homebrew The Golden Age of 3DS Hacking

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There's no mistake, this is the best time for us 3DS hackers. We got NTRBOOT, the new way to get CFW just seconds into boot. We then got 11.4 and 11.5 payloads for OLD 3DS users, so we can access homebrew now. Then we got RPGHax, a new half and half exploit for ways to access homebrew through RPG Maker Player/RPG Maker Fes.

Whats next for us? Completely modifying the handheld itself for it to run custom OS?
Nah, we are getting LastHax (or was that RPGHax?) Or maybe a new exploit to get CFW?

EDIT: OOT3DHax was updated, finally

Last edited by ChaosWeeb,
Reactions: CaptainSwag101

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS scene is in decline in my opinion. We can theoretically install a custom OS on the 3DS with signhax. Luma3DS has a monopoly on CFW right now. Corbenik, ReiNAND, SaltFW, and CakesFW are all for all intents and purposes dead. smea only updated Old3DS payloads after much begging. All the cool kids nowadays have their attention set on the Switch.

ChaosWeeb

Pleb Modding King
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The 3DS scene is in decline in my opinion. We can theoretically install a custom OS on the 3DS with signhax. Luma3DS has a monopoly on CFW right now. Corbenik, ReiNAND, SaltFW, and CakesFW are all for all intents and purposes dead. smea only updated Old3DS payloads after much begging. All the cool kids nowadays have their attention set on the Switch.
Well thats true, but we can't be lucky if we won't see Switch CFW for another year or two, but Homebrew is a possibility. And even if it takes a year or two for Switch CFW, by then the 3DS will be at its EoL, then we will receive LastHax and everything else that Nintendo won't patch because the 3DS will be dead

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would argue the soundhax up through 11.3 era was the last great golden age in 3ds hacking, but now that there's a primary exploit out there (thanks mrnbayoh) maybe someone can find some arm exploits. Sure ntrboot is great and can't be patched, but until we see a fully free exploit that is easy to use like soundhax and fasthax and whatever the other hacks were called we won't be in a "golden age".

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thats true, but we can't be lucky if we won't see Switch CFW for another year or two, but Homebrew is a possibility. And even if it takes a year or two for Switch CFW, by then the 3DS will be at its EoL, then we will receive LastHax and everything else that Nintendo won't patch because the 3DS will be dead

I would argue that the 3DS is EOL now. The 2DS XL is Nintendo's last hurrah for the 3DS line. And we already have LastHax, it's called NTRBootHax. The 3DS is now and forever completely hacked, no matter how many times Nintendo pushes firmware updates, NTRBootHax will always work.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would argue that the 3DS is EOL now. The 2DS XL is Nintendo's last hurrah for the 3DS line. And we already have LastHax, it's called NTRBootHax. The 3DS is now and forever completely hacked, no matter how many times Nintendo pushes firmware updates, NTRBootHax will always work.
Considering there's still a few more first party games still coming out this year for 3ds, i'd say EOL is winter/early 2018 unless Ninty announces something new (but I highly doubt that since the switch is doing so well).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
the 3ds homebrew is so poor....is a shame that we havent good homebrews games, or really good emulators ...the scene is centering on run commercial games.

Greetings and sorry my english

Reactions: Kioku

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
There are 2 ways of looking at this current "Golden Age"...

The Pessimistic Way: "Developers are going rogue, Closed-source = Malicious, Most of the End-Users with Homebrew are Little Kids, etc."

OR

The Optimistic Way: "Low chance of Bricks, SigHax (B9S), Dedicated Developers, NTRBoot, EoL nearing, more Userland entry-points popping up/being updated for current FW, etc."

Last edited by UltraArceus3,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
"US 3DS hackers"

Im sorry no. You're a user. Not a hacker. The only big thing we've got in the past few months is NTR boot and B9S earlier.. Secondary entry points were a dime a dozen not too long ago.

In my honest opinion? The Golden age was A9LH.. B9S more or less just improved on that and gave us full system control.. Which hasn't been fully utilized outside of Rosalina. Oh well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The 3DS scene is... Fading. Fainting. Dissapearing.

Whatever.

The 3DS scene is soon... DEAD!
Well, it had a good run I think. As long as CFW stays updated and keeps up with Ninty as necessary.

Last edited by Kioku,

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be down for a tutorial on homebrew development. Yeah, we have tutorials on setting up an environment for programming homebrew, but nothing on how to achieve specific specific goals. Even the API itself is hard to find documentation on, scattered around a few different sites with a few dead links.

This would get more promising developers to produce new applications as the API would be more accessible. I myself have an awesome idea for a homebrew application to manage the creation and application of randomization patches on 3DS Pokemon games, but I have no idea what code to write to even set up the UI, let alone create/modify patch data and trick the system into running some code from that patch instead of the cartridge/CIA.

Reactions: the_otsutsuki

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be down for a tutorial on homebrew development. Yeah, we have tutorials on setting up an environment for programming homebrew, but nothing on how to achieve specific specific goals. Even the API itself is hard to find documentation on, scattered around a few different sites with a few dead links.

This would get more promising developers to produce new applications as the API would be more accessible. I myself have an awesome idea for a homebrew application to manage the creation and application of randomization patches on 3DS Pokemon games, but I have no idea what code to write to even set up the UI, let alone create/modify patch data and trick the system into running some code from that patch instead of the cartridge/CIA.
Most people use the SDK documentation to learn about the ins and outs of the internal/protocols etc. You don't have to use the SDK apps to create stuff from what your learn with the included documentation; and a Nintendo Developer account is 100% free.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people use the SDK documentation to learn about the ins and outs of the internal/protocols etc. You don't have to use the SDK apps to create stuff from what your learn with the included documentation; and a Nintendo Developer account is 100% free.
I didn't even know that was a thing.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not golden days at all:
- Elitism between devs.
- Users sticking (and obligating others) on flashcarts instead supporting nds-bootstrap.
- A CFW which pretends to be the only choose for users.
- There is only one dev working on the emulation side of 3ds.

That is not golden days to me.

Reactions: Kioku

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
quite frankly the old 3ds payloads are still laced with bugs of yellow screens with alot of apps not even working correctly. Not having access to a flashcart nor even giving a damn about one seeing as I got other systems on cfw seems like a waste of peoples energy as they take awhile to get to people. Even then some dont have the means to even get one. I dont see any mass amount of anything to say stuff is good for all of this yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb