The Ghostbusters Remastered game will be a physical exclusive at GameStop in North America

Ghostbusters-Video-Game-770x433.jpg

Announced prior to E3 2019 was that 2009's Ghostbusters: The Video Game, would be getting a remastered release for modern platforms. Although, if you're looking to get your hands on a physical copy of the game and live in North America, there's going to be a caveat to that. GameStop will be the only retailer to sell the boxed copy of the game, making the physical version an exclusive in both Canada and North America. There's no word on if this will affect European territories, as GameStop is much smaller outside of North America. A reason for the exclusivity was not given, with GameStop/EB only briefly mentioning the fact on the game's store page. This isn't the only exclusive agreement for the game, either, as PC players will only be able to buy the game digitally, on the Epic Games Store.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered is slated for a 2019 launch, for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store.

:arrow: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
>Epic Games Store
Pirated at launch, it is. And even that release will be better than the last Ghostbusters movie.
it is it's the REAL ghostbusters 3

and nintendo switch?! there is NO WAY in hell this is going to run smoothly on the switch without being dumbed down to the max. i used to have trouble running this on a 780 ti and that was the OLD version! :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
and nintendo switch?! there is NO WAY in hell this is going to run smoothly on the switch without being dumbed down to the max. i used to have trouble running this on a 780 ti and that was the OLD version!

Seriously? The old version can run on my old laptop powered by a potato. 1.5Ghz with only 6GB Ram. Your PC must've been clogged or something. lol

Reactions: 2Hack

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder how many people will call for a boycot for the PC side of things but completely ignore gamestop's (a company with a 5000x shadier history) efforts here.
100% not buying from EGS, but in general console fanboys seem more tolerant of being screwed over by exclusives (y'know, the whole premise of a console). GameStop exclusivity is why Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) is or at least was so expensive in the U.S., right? At least GameStop seems to be entering a death spiral, so there's that.

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Wonder how many people will call for a boycot for the PC side of things but completely ignore gamestop's (a company with a 5000x shadier history) efforts here.

Gamestop is mostly active in USA and France (where they bought their French cancerous equivalent, Micromania). EGS is affecting players worldwide.

EGS wins.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
it is it's the REAL ghostbusters 3

and nintendo switch?! there is NO WAY in hell this is going to run smoothly on the switch without being dumbed down to the max. i used to have trouble running this on a 780 ti and that was the OLD version! :lol:

Maybe the Switch version will be a more or less Direct port of the 2009 version with polished graphics?

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
>Epic Games Store
Pirated at launch, it is. And even that release will be better than the last Ghostbusters movie.
I understand the reasons, but people feeling obliged to declare that they're going to pirate something is getting kinda annoying at this point - I mean, I can make a suicide drinking game out of taking a shot on each "WELL I'M GONNA PIRATE IT THEN" post.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I understand the reasons, but people feeling obliged to declare that they're going to pirate something is getting kinda annoying at this point - I mean, I can make a suicide drinking game out of taking a shot on each "WELL I'M GONNA PIRATE IT THEN" post.

We should have a rule against saying things like "I am going to pirate a game".

"We don't care if you want to pirate a game, we don't want to know if you want to pirate game and you should not post about if you are planing to pirate a game. Please stop, we are sick and tired of pots saying you are going to pirate a game and it may get you and us in trouble." Or something like that.

Hey, remember when Gamestop did this?

http://news.yahoo.com/gamestop-pulls-onlive-coupons-boxed-pc-versions-deus-204604671.html

Last edited by raxadian,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Epic Games Store
What an excellent and original comment, I can't believe no one has been bold enough to make it before.

Jokes aside, still looking forward to it on PC.
I have a good backlog to work through but I'll definitely grab it eventually.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How are they in any way, shape or form shady?

Please read the post just over yours, and that's just an example.

And from Wikipedia:

[Opened copies of game titles
The company has a policy where some copies of newly released games are opened and the game discs stored behind the counter so the cases can be put on display. Purchasers of the game receive a factory-sealed copy unless the opened copy is the last copy of the game in stock, where they'll receive the opened copy sold at regular price.

GameStop's check-out policy allows employees "to check out one item of store merchandise for personal use for up to four days", with the intent being to allow the employee to evaluate the game and learn about its content. This check out policy does not apply to new as well as used merchandise, but sometimes managers abuse this system and it does happen, which has been a hotly contested practice among the community.

GameStop came under fire from critics when customers discovered that content had been removed from the original packaging of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. GameStop had instructed employees to remove coupons for a free copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution on OnLive, a cloud gaming service. GameStop stated that the coupon promoted a competitor of its subsidiaries, Spawn Labs and Impulse, which it had acquired in April 2011.Later, GameStop entirely removed the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution from its stores. Square Enix, the publisher of Deus Ex, said that it "respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies".

Used games market
GameStop has been criticized by game developers and publishers for the retailing of used game titles. By reselling used copies at a small discount on the same shelf space as new copies of the game, it is argued that GameStop is taking profits directly from organizations such as developers and publishers which are solely dependent on their intellectual property for revenue. In effect, this means that companies such as GameStop can resell used copies of a game within days of the title's release and keep all of the profit, thereby cutting directly into the critical initial sales which would otherwise go to publishers and developers.

Fingerprint identification
It was revealed in early August 2014 that GameStop was required by the Philadelphia Police to provide fingerprint identifications when customers traded in games at Philadelphia GameStop locations. The policy had been in place since early July of that year and did not apply to the suburban areas of Philadelphia. This caused some heavy criticism from video gamers living in the affected area. Philadelphia Police asserted that the fingerprint identification would help track thieves. By August 4, 2014, the policy had been reversed in all Philadelphia-area GameStop stores.

Circle of Life policy
In February 2017, it was revealed that GameStop enforced, on all of its retail employees, a program known as Circle of Life. The policy itself was made to ensure that each employee would allot a certain percentage of their sales to pre-orders, rewards cards, used games, or have a customer trade in a game. Upon revelation of the policy, many GameStop employees including current and former, brought up their stories of how the policy has led to them lying to customers. Many more claim that the policy had led to poor working conditions and emotional distress.Later into the month, GameStop reformed the program to solely focus on the store as a whole instead of the previous individual employee basis, though still maintaining a heavy emphasis on the individuals performance to maintain strong store metrics.]

Reactions: xeronut

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s lame. What I really want to know though is if the remaster’s going to have the PS3/Xbox 360 version’s online multiplayer mode. It was actually pretty fun IIRC but playing it can be pretty hard these days; the PS3 servers were shut down several years ago and the PC version never even got it, the 360 MP’s still up but unfortunately hardly anyone ever plays it, so it’s pretty much as dead as a doornail 90% of the time.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny is that in this picture showing PS4 logo only, lol. I know that it is confirmed for Switch but still this stupid picture, lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How are they in any way, shape or form shady?

While many of their practices I don't have a particular problem with... where do we start.

They treat their staff like shit, even by US minimum wage retail standards. There is a whole subgenre of video and ex employee speaks sites full of ex gamestop employee horror stories if you want to go that one. The management of the things was marginally better (mainly as they were the ones being clueless and making things hard for underlings) but there are no shortage of "I was a gamestop manager and it sucked" stories either.

Their aggressive expansion at points was the big chain approach -- you rock up, do crazy long opening hours, low prices, highly stocked... and don't care if you operate at a loss for a few years, watch all your competition evaporate and then go 9-5 and less than great deals once that is over. While perfectly legal it does leave a bit of a bitter taste, and does also mean local game shops are/were few and far between (they seem to be creeping back in a bit).

Speaking of aggressive they often pushed all sorts of nonsense on people (usually warranties, rewards cards*, their own third party adapters), pushed console bundles hard (if you rocked up at a gamestop anywhere near Christmas wanting just a plain console then good luck with that one as you are going to get a couple of pieces of shovelware with it), and pushed their second hand** offerings on the clueless.

*which I believe as of the other week have been nerfed considerably.

**I really like second hand games and consider it a crying shame that some consumers consider them bad, and find the "it is taking money from the devs" argument to be utter bollocks of the highest order. However to soft talk with fancy sales patter the clueless mothers into buying them when they initially rock up with a new game case in hand... yeah I can see why some have a problem.

The had that thing where they opened and removed download codes from games in favour of their own service.

Some people disliked their approach with xenoblade chronicles. Short version was only after much whining, bitching, pissing and moaning (see Operation Rainfall) did it (and a couple of other mediocre Japanese RPGs) make it to the US (amusing it actually made it to Europe rather than the usual just stuck in Japan). It promptly sold out and became rare and hard to come by. Enter second pressing for which gamestop was going to be the only seller. When it was still sitting in their warehouse they bought their own stock, declared it second hand and promptly sold it at their "it is rare so we charge more" second hand price. Fine by me, and any laws on business I have ever read, but I will note it as part of this.

They have been noted to destroy their old game stock. For the most part it was last gen sports titles which will probably never sell, controllers that might not have met standards and so forth and frankly if you own it then you can destroy it if you want but it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

This could go on for a while but those are some nice ones to start with.

When I compare them to epic I can't see why people tolerate gamestop but seem to be ready to go torch epic's HQ (to say nothing of the fellating which Steam gets) -- so far epic have been a bit incompetent in spinning up a service from nothing (though games still get bought and played) and have funded some dev in a few games in return for allowing them the main rights to sell it or the first year thereof (traditionally the main portion but long tail sales are increasingly a thing), all on the same PC without any hardware, extra subscriptions or radical software reconfigurations. About as bad as it gets is as they are Windows focused then the few people doing Linux and OSX builds that went epic dropped those and if you are a gamer on those platforms then you should probably be used to disappointment by now.

100% not buying from EGS, but in general console fanboys seem more tolerant of being screwed over by exclusives (y'know, the whole premise of a console). GameStop exclusivity is why Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) is or at least was so expensive in the U.S., right? At least GameStop seems to be entering a death spiral, so there's that.
It seems this word exclusive is overloaded.
For many years it meant different hardware would be required, or different hardware within the same class (something could be PC and N64 exclusive, if you were lumped only with a dreamcast, PS2 or saturn you were out of luck. These days console exclusive is often a thing where a version exists on PC, and back when then arcade exclusives or home console exclusives). Moreover consoles I always saw as a way of playing games, exclusives for them then acting as perks for making that particular platform choice. I dislike that model intensely and have long called for the DVD model but different discussion. To say it is the point of such things... that I actually find distasteful.
Retailer exclusive does make various types of sense from broader senses and when said in that but eh.

Reactions: Ryccardo

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I really like second hand games .

Then never buy then at Gamestop, not only they sell them almost at the price of something new (Sometimes the difference between the new game and used is just five bucks) but their business is buying used Games way too cheap... for so little money even games you can get at Burger King cost more.

So they screw the customers and those who they buy used games from.

A used game price should be from 80% of the price of it being new to 50% depending on the state of the used game, rarity and so on. You usually get a price of 80% if the used game included everything extra the new game had, minus any digital code tickets because for that you have to buy it new. That means the box, manual if it has it, and so on, and the game must not be scratched or damaged, same for the box and manuals.

Gamestop sells used games for way more than that unless they are doing clearance sales.

Last edited by raxadian,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I compare them to epic I can't see why people tolerate gamestop but seem to be ready to go torch epic's HQ

Different groups of people.

Console players don't give a shit about Epic store stuff in the PC space. PC players don't give a shit what gamestop does largely in the console space.

For whatever reason, console players seem more passive, (see rolling over and paying for p2p, vs pc players telling ms to stick in up their arse), so no outrage.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water