The Ghostbusters Remastered game will be a physical exclusive at GameStop in North America

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 5, 2019.

1. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    With the exception of the Wii U, I would argue that single-platform exclusives are the primary purpose of consoles starting with 8th gen, given that they are all more or less off-the-shelf hardware architectures now. PS4 and Xbone are both AMD x86_64+GCN graphics, and the Switch is the Nvidia Shield Tablet 2. At least 7th gen and prior had interesting, unique hardware that justified its existence more.

Ryccardo likes this.
  2. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm guessing EGS is grabbing as many exclusives as possible now to get as many users as possible before they can no longer afford to do this. This will not be sustainable for them and especially the cut they give to developers is massive. If they don't start dominating the market in a year or so then they'll have to make cuts that'll ultimately kill the store.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have never bought the gamestop are ripoffs thing (note its complete absence in my list above -- I was considering having a note on that as some people in these sorts of discussions bring it up but in the end I find it so ridiculous as to not warrant it). It we must though then it is the standard pawn shop model -- if you can't be bothered to sell it yourself (yard sales/car boot sales/swap meets don't have the biggest audience, and ebay, craigslist, facebook selling groups and such are horribly annoying to use) then you have the option to take the hit.

"price should be"... no. Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay.

That said unless it is something I really really want (hasn't happened in quite a few years at this point) then I go where the deals are at, and nobody does better than clueless mothers selling bundles of old consoles their kids never play on, and spurned lovers selling things their ex left behind.

7th gen was pretty off the shelf from where I sat -- for all the talk of Cell it was nothing terribly special in the end, the GPUs for the PS360 were both higher but not high end directX9 cards and prior to that, even ignoring the original xbox, it was nothing too outrageous. Even before that things were fairly classic embedded hardware CPUs, though those at least could do things that the PC hardware of the day struggled with or could not throw enough CPU at to overcome it, or could be said to be geared for games (scrolling screens, much less parallax scrolling, and the approaches used to get many colours not being of the most use in spreadsheets and word processors).

bobmcjr likes this.
  4. SlasherGamer21

SlasherGamer21 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    Hell
    And what if your both types?

5. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    Pirating a game is the best way to test it. Both since demos are dead since years and were sometimes full of lies, and mostly since prerequisites are different from the demo (and sometimes from what is written), so you can check if your computer can run it. And yeah, sometimes, Can You Run It failed me, showing me some games as playable when it wasn't the case and vice-versa.

Pirating a game is also the best way to actually see if the game is worth it. While the game will be a pass as long as it'll be exclusive to EGS (for obvious reasons), I may change my mind once it comes to Steam and if my PC can handle it. And that's without touching the cost/quality issues, but these may vary so I'll leave it to personal appreciation.

So yeah, I'm gonna pirate it. And yeah, I'm declaring it in the hopes this way of actually testing the games before buying them blindly spreads to more people. Because paying is how we support good games, and people's money is becoming less and less each passing year.

6. DAZA

DAZA Shaun's Mum

Nov 5, 2002
    With Ghostbusters just having its 35Th anniversary last month america seems to be getting a lot with the new 4K Remaster Blu-ray and now the game... where does the UK get the love in all of this?!?

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    PAH if you can call it 4k

8. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Damn, this is probably bad news for gamers in other places (like Latin America) which usually import physical copies from America and Canada. Less availability will probably result in higher prices.

9. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    so thats why they took the original down from steam :P

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Cue people crying about gamestop for literally no reason. It's a gamestop exclusive because it's an old movie game no one cares about. Physical releases cost money, there's no point doing them for less popular games. Gamestop probably funded physical copies because obviously those benefit it and digital don't. They must think the physical copies will sell where the publisher didn't. Welcome to the world of business kids.

Epic exclusive is almost a meme at this point this point though. It's likely some shittier publishers go to Epic because they only see cheaper costs and think Fortnite's massive population has any bearing on the Epic Game Store...it doesn't.

11. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    What you're gonna call? Fuck-Gamestop!

Last edited by Bimmel, Jul 6, 2019
    Bladexdsl likes this.
  12. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    If your a collector than some Gamestop exclusives went up in value as soon as they were release due to limited print run. I remember Katamari Reroll on the nsw selling for crazy prices untill a second reprint.

13. OneForAll

OneForAll Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    Australia
    So I'm guessing that it in Australia, it will be exclusive to EB Games?
    Because if so. We're screwed.

14. Hiipswerf

Hiipswerf Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    United States
    I bet you support companies like CD Project Red even though they treat their employees like shit. I also bet you 'enjoy' minecraft now because everyone else does. Sheep

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    bah we'll be lucky to even get a physical release here

16. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    More like pointless outside of Nintendo if you ask me.

17. RickBruiser

RickBruiser Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2008
    Canada
    Angelgrove
    Anyone knows if they will reincorporate the multiplayer?

18. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    Congrats, you made me laugh.

19. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Please, find me a report of CD Projekt Red treating their employees like shit.

20. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    Does anybody know if this re-release will have the Co-Op that the Wii version of the original release had?
    It was crazy that only the Wii got a coop mode at the time and I would love to actually play it with a friend this time.