The GBAtemp Wii U Launch Line Up Guide

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Hadrian, Nov 18, 2012.

Nov 18, 2012
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the GBAtemp Wii U Launch Line Up Guide. This guide will features look at most of the Wii U Launch retail & eShop titles with videos and also will feature as many review scores for each title as possible with specific Wii U footage for the games.

This guide will be updated regularly with new information as it goes by. We also would like to hear about your own "hands on" views for those who pick up the console and what you also think of some of the games and features of the console.

All videos are hidden behind spoilers.

Launch Day eShop Releases

I'm starting with these first as I feel that they would otherwise be ignored. Unlike with the Wii & 3DS, the Wii U eShop launches on day 1 AND with some excellent looking titles.

As a side note the Rayman Legends demo will hit eShop on launch too and Ubisoft are also going to release a ZombiU demo soon.

Trine 2: Directors Cut

[​IMG]

Developer: Frostbyte Publisher: Frostbyte Genre: Sidescrolling Puzzle platformer
    Scores: None so far but it looks every bit as brilliant as the PC version
    Wii U features: Off TV play, touchscreen gameplay, new multiplayer modes, local co-op,

Trine 2 on Steam is one of the best games of the year...the Wii U version looks to be even better! While I cannot imagine playing on a controller with the other console versions, I can easily for this with the Gamepad.

Frostbyte have put a hell of a lot of effort into this port, new missions, new modes and they have polished this up so it meets the standards of the PC visually, so much so they themselves have stated that the PS3 & 360 could not run this version. It is $19.99 ($8 more than the regular Steam version) however it's worth every penny.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Little Inferno

[​IMG]

Developer: Tomorrow Corporation Publisher: Tomorrow Corporation Genre: Puzzle
    Scores: Negative World 9.1/10,
    Wii U features: Not known

This title is from Kyle Gabler (of 2D Boy who did the amazing World of Goo) and Kyle Gray (Henry Hatsworth). It's been in development for a long time and finally debuts on Wii U. It's kinda hard to describe this game, previews of it pretty much say that it's one that you need to play to understand...basically you set fire to things...there's suppose to be a lot more to it than that.

I am very intrigued by this game, mainly due to the pedigree of those who have created it and the visual and audio charm that the trailer indicates that this game has. It is also on the PC for a penny more.

Nano Assault Neo

[​IMG]

Developer: Shin'en Multimedia Publisher: Shin'en Multimedia Genre: Twin Stick Shoot-me-do
    Scores: None so far.
    Wii U features: Off TV play for solo and co-op play, Gamepad/Pro Controller/Classic Controller options,

This is the follow up to the very well received Nano Assault on the 3DS, a game that sadly never saw a release out side of North America (however it is now heading to 3DS eShop improved as Nano Assault EX everywhere). It looks like a damn fine game.

At $9.99 I myself can't find a reason for shooter fans not to grab it! Shin'en have done some brilliant titles for Nintendo consoles such as Garfields Nightmare, Art of Balance, FAST Racing League, Jett Rocket, Nanostray as well as others and they can do very good things graphically on the digital platform, in fact their own WiiWare titles look better than most companies retail Wii games.

Chasing Auroa

[​IMG]

Developer: Broken Rules Publisher: Broken Rules Genre: Flight Physics Combat?
    Wii U features: Specific game modes built especially for various functions of the Gamepad like motion control and touchscreen

This...I don't know what to make of it but those who have played it seem really hyped for it.

It looks like it could be something I'd enjoy but for $14.99?

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Edition

[​IMG]

Developer: WayForward Technologies Publisher: WayForward Technologies Genre: Run & gun Platformer
    Wii U features: Off TV play, hyper versions of all original levels, remade in 1080p HD

The 3DS eShop version now remade in HD! Not much hype behind this title at all.

I can't see how this cannot be at least as great as the 3DS game and if you don't own that one then I reckon this is a must have release what with it only being $9.99

Overall a great start to the eShop! All of these look good and all are very different from each other. I hope this is a sign of things to come because with Nintendo's stance on the Wii U eShop they could actually blow the other platforms away with this gen in regards to content.

Launch Day Retail Titles
    New Super Mario Bros. U

[​IMG]

Developer: Nintendo Publisher: Nintendo Genre: Sidescrolling Platformer
    Scores: Gamesmaster 82%, IGN 9.1/10, Eurogamer 9/10, Joystick 4.5/5, Games Radar 4/5, Edge 8/10
    Wii U features: Off TV play, touchscreen gameplay for Boost Mode & multiplayer, motion control used for some gameplay, Miiverse.

A new console means a new edition of New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo aims to only have one of these games for each platform it has and seeing that the next one would probably be on the successor to the 3DS, a console that only launched last year...I think this'll be the last one for a good 4-5 years yet, unless the Wii U bombs of course. This game marks the very first HD appearance of Mario and the first brand new Mario title to make the launch since Super Mario 64 (the DS & games don't count).

So far scores have been very positive. Many reviewers are finding that despite being the 4th entry (2nd this year), that while it may look like the "same old game", it is still worth buying due to the freshness of the level design. Most people pretty much know whether to buy this game or not and haters of the series will no doubt not have their heads turned by this entry.

NINTENDO! Y U NO USE THIS STYLE THORUGHOUT?

For the rest, you'll need to enter the thread.

2. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    ZombiU

[​IMG]

Developer: Ubisoft Montipellier Publisher: Ubisoft Genre: First Person Shooter/Survival Horror
    Scores: Official Nintendo Magazine 90/100, Edge 7/10, Game Informer 5/10, IGN 6.3/10, Gamesmaster 97/100 Destructoid 8/10
    Wii U features: Touchscreen features like key entry, accessing inventory, scanning rooms, sniper mode, light RTS features for multiplayer, motion control gameplay, Miiverse & Online, create a zombie with the camera.

A very interesting title from Ubisoft and this is the one they are putting everything behind. Originally Killer Freaks From Outerspace, Ubisoft redesigned this title to be a zombie survival horror title. Survival is the key here, if you get bit by a zombie...that is it for that character! You'll then play another character and from then on you can either retrieve the items from the previous now zombiefied character or just go ahead without them. This looks to be a true horror title.

I'm not 100% on this game, this may be a game I need to play myself what with my picky tendencies. Reviews have been quite mixed so it might be a love or hate kind of game. In Europe this game will also be packaged with the Premium 32GB Console.

Tank! Tank! Tank!

[​IMG]

Developer: Bandai Namco Publisher: Bandai Namco Genre: Vehicular Combat
    Scores: None
    Wii U features: Use the camera to take pictures for your avatar, local multiplayer, co-op, off TV gameplay

TANK!!!!! This actually looks to be quite a fun game! However...local mutiplayer only may have lost some sales that it could of had though for me...meh. This game will cost less than other Wii U titles (£25 in UK!).

Maybe a title that would be worth picking up when the price goes down, while it is a budget release over here, in North America it's only $10 less then other titles. *enters Gahars mode* I get a feeling that this game may TANK when released...*walks off ashamed*

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition

[​IMG]

Developer: Bandai Namco Publisher: Bandai Namco Genre: One on One Beat-em-up
    Scores: ONM 88/100
    Wii U features: Touch panel moves, off TV mode.

I never took to Tekken but I know there are a lot of fans and this game marks the first ever home console appearance for the series (previously only released on GBA & 3DS) so I can't say much about it. This entry in the series looks to be the definitive version with a very 50+ characters, new stages, modes, more customisation, appealing Mushroom Battle Mode as well as Nintendo themed costumes which look pretty rad to me.

This may be a game I would grab, I really like the Nintendo exclusive features and Mushroom Battle looks like a lot of fun.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

[​IMG]

Developer: Treyarch Publisher: Activision Genre: First Person Bro Shooter
    Scores: None so far
    Wii U features: Off TV mode, Gamepad view for local multiplayer & co-op.

For me this is the most enjoyable CoD title for a LONG time with a good variety in gameplay and level styles and a the best campaign mode since WaW. Since World At War all we've had were competant shooters at best. This will probably be the best option for FPS fans on the Wii U (not counting ZombieU as it's a different kind of game) until Aliens: Colonial Mission gets a release next year and should keep FPS fans going in the world of online multiplayer.

This has the chances of being the definitive version of the game, especially when it comes to local multiplayer however those with PC/360/PS3 may want to grab those versions simply because there are more people to play against online but IMO those who don't care about online may want this version if it turns out as well as the other versions. BTW the horsey mission was cool until some bitch ran my horse over with a tank. :(

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

[​IMG]

Developer: Sumo Digital Publisher: Sega Genre: Mascot Racer
    Scores: ONM 66/100, other versions have had very good scores
    Wii U features: Five player split screen and Gamepad local multiplayer, ten player online, Off TV play, optional tilt controls, Classic controller & Pro Controller support, exclusive Wii U multiplayer modes.

Sonic makes his first appearance on the Wii U along with others such as Alex Kidd. There were reports that this version was a poor port however Sega reps have stated that reports were of the early version and that the Wii U version would be the best version on the market...I hope they are right!

I'm looking forward to this game, I enjoyed the first one a lot more than Mario Kart Wii and so far reviews for this elsewhere have been very positive, also Sega are releasing this as a budget title on all platforms (£30 in the UK) and it looks like yet again that the Wii U version is the one to get.

Nintendo Land

[​IMG]

Developer: Nintendo Publisher: Nintendo Genre: Mini Game fest
    Scores: IGN 8.7/10, Game Informer 7/10, Joystiq 4/5, Eurogamer 8/10, Edge 7/10
    Wii U features: Pretty much everything the Wii U can offer aside from online...sadly.

This is a game that has gone from being hated to being quite well anticipated. 12 mini games with themes from famous Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Pikmin, Metroid, Balloon Trip, Donkey Kong as well as many others.

To be honest there isn't much here for those who may not get a chance to play with other locally and the lack of online is stupid as this could have really showcased that feature on the Wii U however if you can regularly get people together this could be a very essential piece of gaming and also really does showcase some of the Wii U features very well.

Scribblenauts Unlimited

[​IMG]

Developer: 5th Cell Publisher: Warner Bros. Genre: Puzzle
    Scores: IGN 8.8/10, Game Informer 8.25/10,
    Wii U features: Touchscreen use for keyboard, creating objects etc, off TV play, sharing creations online

I love the idea of these games but I never really got into them, however I'll be seeing what this game is liking as it's getting many glowing reviews though obviously on PC as it's nearly half the price on Steam. :P

Each of these titles do improve on the previous one and this particular version seems to offer a lot more than the PC/3DS counterparts (3DS doesn't have the object creation option either)...oh and Nintendo characters are only in this version.

Costello and B-Blue like this.
  3. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Other retail releases set for launch:
    I did originally set to write up every title but I injured my shoulder so I couldn't finish the rest of it and just concentrated on the bigger releases then the ports, however feel free to add your own if you so wish. Note: CoD & Sonic were written before I screwed my shoulder up.

Assassins Creed III

Mass Effect 3

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Two

No Wii U footage at the moment

Batman: Arkham City - Armoured Edition

Ben 10 - Omniverse

Darksiders II

Just Dance 4

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

Rabbids Land

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013

4. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Skylanders Giants

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge

Transformers Prime

Wipeout 3 (based on the dire TV series not the racer)

SiNG Party

Funky Barn

NBA 2K13

ESPN Sports Connection

Fifa 13

Game Party Champions

Erm nothing...sorry.

Europe will also get the same plus Sports Champions, the shitty 007 Legends, Marvel Avengers: Battle Earth & Rise of the Guardians. I'll update this thread when it's closer to the launch day then.

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    The Future

Here are some trailers of games expected to follow between the launch window and beyond! There are quite a fair number of titles but I've picked these out as they stand out for me or are noteworthy.

The Wonderful 101

The first Wii U title from the excellent developer PlatinumGames, they've yet to have made a bad title and have yet to when most members were in Clover Studios. This is the first collaboration with Nintendo...their next is Bayonetta 2! Would it be too much to ask to hope for a 3rd one where they made a Star Fox game? Nintendo say the game will launch during the Wii U launch window which means between now and march.

Bayonetta 2

Not much is known about this other than it has anally hurt some gamers who can't understand that without Nintendo...this probably wouldn't exist anyway. No release date at all.

Pikmin 3

What has Miyamoto been up to lately? This. This game has been in development for the Wii & 3DS, it switched to the Wii U as Miyamoto wanted to bring the world of Pikmin into HD...and man if you look carefully at those screens issued, the man certainly can do great things with it! This should be out by March.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Gearbox, the guys behind Borderlands, the excellent Brothers In Arms, Half Life: Opposing Force/Blue Shift, erm Samba de Amigo Wii (they also polished Duke Nukem Forever but that was shitty mainly because of 3D Realms) next big game finally brings what could be the definitive Aliens games. This is more than just a licensed game, Randy and Co have been to work on this for so damn long but the attention is just staggering. Also it looks to be a game that also brings the suspense back to the universe. The Wii U version is more than just a port, hell Randy can't stop gushing about how it is the best looking console version and how the Gamepad is perfect for the Aliens world. This does ship on other platforms Feb 12th but there is so far no confirmation of the Wii U version making that date.

Game & Wario

Not sure what I make of this but Nintendo seem to be sure of it to ditch the WarioWare style gameplay of previous mini game Wario titles. Of course on the DS they made a risk with Wario: Master of Disguise and that game was pretty bad. Is it too much to ask for a new Wario Land?

Injustice: Gods Among Men

From the developers of Mortal Kombat comes a new fighting game featuring DC Comics greatest heroes and Lobo. It looks pretty damn good to me and the developers rest assure that there is a good reason to why Wonder Woman is kicking several shades of shit out of the likes of Batman, Animal Man and Aqua Man. This will be released April next year.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

I dislike these games, I've tried most of them up the the Wii game and all I get is a sub par title but you know...the kids love these games so I'll stick it here. Out for the launch window

Rayman Legends

The first game was awesome, this looks awesome and is only for Wii U...AH JUST RELEASE IT etc. IMO it does look like it could be better. It should by out in March.

Project Cars

It's a racing title, some people seemed to be hyped about it. It looks pretty I guess.

There are a lot more but most of them don't really have Wii U footage. Expect some big announcements from Nintendo for some unannounced games (hopefully that Retro Studios titles that was pulled last minute at E3) because apart from Bayonneta 2, they don't have anything after March and they do tend to keep things closer to their chests nowadays.

If the Wii U launch is a big success, expect more 3rd party support. This happened with the Wii however this time around we'll probably see more titles what with the Wii U being more port friendly with 360 & PS3 titles.

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    do you have any confirmation that ubisoft will be releasing a zombie U demo on the eshop? that is good news if true.

7. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/269842469275959296

I've just updated the ZombiU scores to add Gamemaster & Destructoid (they love it) and IGN (they don't).

Sorry it's spread onto 5 pages, this forum currently only lets you do 10 vids per post.

B-Blue likes this.
  8. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    nice! can't wait, it should be on the eshop by the time the EU launch arrives.

9. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Certainly a lot of titles to choose from.

Also, just for the sanity of others, would it be ok if the videos could be spoilered? My computer could barely handle loading the page with all the YouTube videos on it.

Arras likes this.
  10. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    get flashblock if you have chrome and you won't have that problem.

11. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've been trying to since I posted it, forums not being clever on my PC with these vids.

12. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

If my computer wasn't almost 9 years old, I probably would, but I don't want too many extensions running at once, or else it quickly eats up all 2GB of ram I have.
    Oh, ok. Completely understandable.

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ZombiU seems to be love it or hate it and I just think simpletons hate it. Probably the best looking launch title, some reviewers are just pissing on it because it's, y'know, not like every other zombie game.

Nothing else really stands out though.

As an interesting fact, this is the second largest launch list (of retail games) since the PS2.

EDIT: I also put a prebreak tag in there so it looks a little better on the front page. You/I/anyone can undo it if they wish.

14. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    That is fine, I thought it did that automatically...I guess people just come in and edited my other frontpage posts

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It does to a certain length but if you want it to cut off earlier you can use the prebreak tags. Like it was cutting off after Trine 2. I just made it so it cuts off after the intro.

16. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

holy shit you wrote all of this Hadrian? wow.
    Well thanks, that's a fine guide alright -- quite a bit of games available for launch.
    I'm wondering about the console's potential in terms of graphical power, I guess it's still a bit early to tell

17. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bayonneta 2- Fifa 13 WII U Trailer
    FUCK YEAH!

Fix it.

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    So much games :blink: I knew there were a lot, but this much?! ZombieU getting excellent scores, Trine 2 is an EPIC game on PC, must be even better on Wii U.
    Wow, impressive Nintendo (and Hadrian too for writing this)

19. fatherjack

Member fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks Hadrian - great post.
    I definately WASN'T jumping in early for a Wii U.............now, I'm not so sure

20. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Not getting a Wii U until a while later, there isn't enough for me to play until the system gets some new releases. Getting mine around the time Pikmin comes out probably.