dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The GBAtemp guide to like farming.

Let's get started.

You're a new user. Your name is krinj8897. You're new at GBAtemp. You just registered an account because you
wanted to be able to respond to the thread. You were having an issue on a 3DS ticket related app.

Section 1: Types of posts that get likes.
1. Problem solving. Solve other people's problems. People like it when somebody is helpful to share their knowledge. And since not many people are willing to help
newbies who don't have a clue of what they're doing (4th wall break amirite) they like you posts.

What you should firstly do is get informed. Let's see an example: The 3DS Scene. GBAtemp has a wiki, which contains all kinds of useful information that you can
consult at any time. Go to the 3DS section. Beware that this is not enough to help other people. You should also go to the 3DS guide and read each of the guides
for each variation of the system. Don't hesitate to search new information in other parts of the internet, but beware of bad, uninforme, and outdated information!
Here's an easier example. Which name is more trust-worthy? SwitchSploit research team, or l338h4x0r69'ers exploit hunters? You choose. Don't forget to read even the oldest
data on homebrew, because some users with an ancient CFW might need help. You should also step up your typing game. If you can't type faster than other users, they will beat
you to it, and say the exact same answer. Always be aware, if you're not that good at typing, you can always get to the thread the quickest, and have a head start.
2. Life advice
At the Off-Topic forum, and Blogs, you can often find people talking about their life problems. Even if you find somebody with depression, and don't know what depression
is like, you can still give the best advice that you can.
3. Debating
It is very common at Blogs to see debates on topics such as: Politics, Videogames, X is better than X, etc.
Try to give an opinion that you think many people will agree with, while being polite and respectful to ther users.
Remember, if a user makes you very angry, don't give in. By giving in to anger and insulting him, you're just losing the fight.
Also, if you absolutely have to insult somebody, try not to be passive agressive. It's very edgy and cringe-worthy. What is being edgy and cringe-worthy, you may
ask? Cringe is described as disgust to a certain thing, or response, or feeling embarassed even though you were not the one who posted it. What is being edgy?
Being edgy is.. being edgy is... it's basically being a teenager on rabbid hormones. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example of an edgy comment.

"Um hey dude could you please stop using an aimbot. It's pretty annoying. <-- Normal comment
"Newbies look so CUTE when they try to insult somebody with 2000 hours in the game :) <3 <3 <---Passive-agressive edgy cringe-worthy response. Never do these.
I don't really know your views on politics/religion/etc. but regardless of that, you should always use solid facts to structure your opinions. An emotional opinion
is as good as a speedrunner with a faulty controller.
You can also try making jokes. Here's an example (based on a real reply):
l337h4x0r69: I'm leaving forever. I'm never coming back.
marty77: See you next week on a new account.

What Marty77 said was that the OP (The user who made the thread/blog) would come back on an alternate account (alt). This is funny, and these types
of posts get likes. Also, if you're on a thread that you know that will turn into a heated flame war/discussion, put a gif of Michael Jackson eating
popcorn, that'll get likes, guaranteed.

4. Be a nice person.
What a user in need of help/advice wants the least is a smartass complaining about how "he's so noobish and dumb" even though everybody goes through that stage.
Be helpful, and be polite. If you ask for something politely, it's more likely people will give it to you, surprising, I know. Don't insult people on debates. Here's
an example:

Hey I think what you did is fucking wrong you unempathetic bastard. <--- Rude
Hey I think that was pretty unempathetic of you. <---- Polite

And suprisingly, being polite makes you seem smarter.

5. Correct Grammar.
A problem you may see sometimes is that users in need of help cannot type in a way that other people that can easily understand. This is common to see in users that do
not live in US/CANADA/UK. If you happen to be one of those persons, ask a person that lives in the same country as you, and speaks better english, and ask him to be
an interpreter for you. And learn better english. Take english classes, there are a lot of online classes, so it's not complicated unless you can't pay for them.

If you type correctly, people will understand it more easily, and if more people can read it, more people can like it. Simple logic!

6. Contributing to the community.

One of the things that users most like is getting cool homebrew. What is homebrew. Homebrew is basically when you modify a piece of hardware to do things that it would'nt
normally. Become a developer! Learning to code is not as painstakingly high as it may ever seem. Start with C, C is a great programming language for beginners. There
are 3DS libraries (a library is a function in a program) that let you use the 3DS hardware. Do read the documentation in order to learn how to program with them.

7. Meming

This is also a great way to get some likes. Post images that are funny in the "post funny pictures here" thread and if other users like them, they'll like them. Easy.
Just don't post images that have already been posted before. Everybody hates that. Also, as a sidenote, don't feel bad if you get insulted in the EoF. Most of the time,
they're just joking. That's why it's called "Edge of The Forum".

And there you have it, those are the best ways to get likes on GBAtemp.net. Feel free to PM me to make suggestions to this text.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe add to the first bit, if you aren't 100% sure of the answer, refrain from answering a question. I struggle with this. My instinct is to answer every question I see that doesn't have an answer yet but then when I'm wrong I look stupid. So I'm trying hard to ignore the questions I'm not super sure of the answer to.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe add to the first bit, if you aren't 100% sure of the answer, refrain from answering a question. I struggle with this. My instinct is to answer every question I see that doesn't have an answer yet but then when I'm wrong I look stupid. So I'm trying hard to ignore the questions I'm not super sure of the answer to.
I also learned that getting into a fight in threads was never worth it. I changed my tactic, and learned to either shut my mouth or send a PM/profile post to avoid any offtopic.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I also learned that getting into a fight in threads was never worth it. I changed my tactic, and learned to either shut my mouth or send a PM/profile post to avoid any offtopic.
Yes it's almost a new social skill that people have to learn, that's only emerged in the last decade.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it's almost a new social skill that people have to learn, that's only emerged in the last decade.
I mean, if I compare my posting behaviour from 2015 and from today, there's a distinct difference. Heck I could call myself an asshole when I see my older posts again :wacko:

D

Deleted User

I mean, if I compare my posting behaviour from 2015 and from today, there's a diatinct difference. Heck I could call myself an asshole when I see my older posts again :wacko:
same. although i try not to compare myself to those times. i mean, I still am an asshole sometimes, but not nearly as bad as I was around December 2015->June 2016

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there was a reddit study where the first few posts gained more upvotes on average than stuff that happened later. I assume the same rule applies here. Your chance of getting likes goes down the further you are from the first page of the thread.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Step 1: Be a developer of any kind.
Step 2: Say you have a proof of concept on the social media of your choice (note: POC not actually needed, just SAY you have it.)
Step 3: Wait untill someone on GBATemp screenshots your statement and posts it as a thread.
Step 4: Appear in thread to do one of the following:

a) Chastise the original poster or other posters for taking you out of context.
b) Say anything at all ( Literally, devs get likes for just coming in a thread)

Step 5: Claim your Tornado of likes.

Last edited by Vengenceonu,
D

Deleted User

For a moment, I thought this was a guide to enjoy farming out in the country, growing some crops, tending to the cows, etc. Was caught off guard.

Anyways, this post is way more accurate than it should be. Good work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OP clearly aims to create a sustainable ecosystem without realising here the subject of their guide are typically of the slash-and-burn agriculture/maximum returns persuasion.

Reactions: Seriel and dAVID_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain