The GBAtemp Fitness club

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ShadowSoldier, May 2, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    So I sorta got into running. I'm enjoying it and I feel good that I'm getting in shape.

And I figured hey, before I used to be lazy, overweight and I'm too lazy to go run by myself and such and have no motivation or anyone to share my results with.

But then I downloaded an app on the Play Store called Runtastic (There's also a pro version). And it's cool. It tells you the time you've been exercising, the distance you've been running and whatnot, and you can upload it to share with people, like on Twitter or something.

Anyways, I figured if there's anyone here who's too lazy to exercise or whatever, we should all be a group or something, compare results, share music playlists to exercise to, set up challenges for one another or something, give advice, exercise tips.

Anybody up for that?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I've got Runtastic Pro and have never used it.

I plan to start working out again once this semester at college is over. Too much shit to do right now. I'd be down for posting progress towards weight goals and shit like that but I don't typically get very social with working out, short of going to the gym with my dad.

gamefan5 likes this.
  3. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    You know what they say, weight loss is 90% diet and only 10% exercise.

4. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I don't go to the gym. I just run around the park here. And for weights I have a bunch of weights and shit too. I tried getting the runtastic pro.apk to work on my phone, it installed and everything but it wasn't recording anything. I don't know why, it bummed me out. So I just went back to the regular runtastic.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  5. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    id work out but every time i lift weights i wait

yuyuyup likes this.
  6. Rizsparky

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Aug 13, 2007
    The Future
    This x1000, when I lost weight I ran for general health, not to increase my calorie deficit.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I enjoy running, but I don't want to ruin muh gainz, so I'll pass on the app. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

As for me, I've been using a modified version of Starting Strength. It's a pretty good program, if pretty tough. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in starting up weightlifting at the gym.

8. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    I had always been active up till the end of my first year of college as up until then my education demanded I spend time in the gym and the close proximity to everything in my life made me to almost exclusively walk about an hour a day or more on top of it. As soon as that ended however... It seems I got too comfortable with going with the flow to realize I worked out out of convenience and not routine. I think making a group here would be a great way to get fitness to be an active part of my life again and am more than willing to help out and contribute with all y'all.

Not a fan of running though. I think I'll learn how to ride a bike to get my cardio since I don't own an elliptical. Low impact for the win.

Also to the guy saying weight loss is only 10% exercise... Well of course that is true but many seem to forget that muscle weighs more than fat and having weight loss as a goal and not an indicator of meeting one is dangerous in the long run unless you are obese as after loosing weight, most start gaining more as their muscles become more defined. I always say change your diet only if exercise alone isn't helping you slim down after 3-4 months. Oh and screw multigrains. you shouldn't be relying on carbs enough to eat what is deemed "the healthier stuff" anyways.

9. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    It's beach season, time to get shredded. Ya you'll lose some gains, but the 6 pack is what the ladies really like.

As for me joining this club, I'll have to decline. I am unfortunately an ectomorph so I lose weight really quickly so I only run twice a week. I don't mind giving advice and tips though. :)

10. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    I'm the same but I found reducing my gluten intake, removing added sugar and having a cheat day for both, mixed in with higher protein and fat has really made a difference and I went from a perpetual 112 to a allright 125 in the past three months. Whenever I go away from that diet though I'll see as much as a 5 pound loss within the first two weeks. I'm hoping getting back to the gym will bring me back to my glory days of 137 though.

but yeah smart eating goes a long way when you balance the speed in which your calories are consumed (proteins and fats vary from fast to slow burning unlike carbs which are almost exclusively fast and are always burned first which is why cutting them is what slims people down and not cutting meats or fats tend to, at least not near as quickly or long term.

11. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I can't say if you're too light or not, because I don't know your age or height, but if you're 23 like me you're very light o.0 When I started working out I was 140lbs with 15% body fat, now I'm 160lbs with 13% body fat. If you want to gain some more weight I'd recommend taking a weight gainer, like me. Without it I would still have been 140lbs.

Not many people seem to know how important it is to cut down on carbs if you want to lose weight. Everyone always aims for fat free and calorie free products, yet low carbs is much more important, especially if your body doesn't use all of the carbs.

12. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    well the bmi says i'm normal (lol) but at the end of the day I know i'm a good 30 pounds away from what I would call optimal weight, the problem is I plateau around 132 which at that point I really need to manage my eating habits and exercise regiment (at this point cardio is the warm up and never exceeds 15 minutes) I am however at a point in my program where strength training is viable again instead of endurance so i'm hoping to bulk up with help of the 3 main proteins and coconut oil/butter. (egg protein with meals, whey after work out and casein before bed.)

I agree on the carb thing though. the way people abuse salad dressing is the other thing I notice that makes or breaks a diet..

What gainer do you like?

13. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I'm taking Iso Mass. After using it, I noticed I was getting heavier and bigger, it also has a small amount of creatine to help with recovery. My body fat didn't go up either :/
    If you decide to take is, go with the cookies n cream, it's the best one :)

If you can get into working out again, and follow a meal plan, you'll bulk up and you'll most likely be shredded as well.

14. Engert
    This message by Engert has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 4, 2013, Reason: No one asked you. ~Den.
    May 3, 2013
  15. Sicklyboy
    This message by Sicklyboy has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 4, 2013, Reason: Reply to a retarded post. ~Den.
    May 3, 2013
  16. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    There's a visual novel on android and iphone that motivates me to do more pushups and situps, the more you exercise, the more bonus you'll get and you can unlock content, like swimsuits, pajamas, etc... She also says cute things that motivates to go on. =3

It's called "Burn Your Fat With Me!", it's a really good game with a nice story too. =3

17. Engert
    This message by Engert has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 4, 2013, Reason: No one asked you. ~Den.
    May 3, 2013
  18. ShadowSoldier
    This message by ShadowSoldier has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 4, 2013, Reason: Reply to a retarded post. ~Den.
    May 3, 2013
  19. J-Machine
    This message by J-Machine has been removed from public view by Densetsu, May 4, 2013, Reason: Reply to a retarded post. ~Den.
    May 3, 2013
  20. Yumi

Yumi With Love<3

Apr 19, 2010
    Mexico
    Ixtapalapa
    Well hey, thats great that youre enjoying running now. I run/jog myself and its just relaxing(i havent done so much since my leg injury, but im recovering!)
    I was also thinking of using an app but I figured that I rather use a timer and estimate how far I ran.
    A friend from the u.s. recommended me an app called Zombie Run! (i think thats what its called) but it wont download on mine. ;0 a game that supposely makes running fun and..scary I suppose.

Also yes, previous stated, eat smart!
    Wear comfortable running shoes. Ive seen people wear Vans and stuff, then they get blisters.
    Breath through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
    Oh! Stretch, obviously, before joggig/running always! Helps your muscles loosen up and have less chance of getting cramps. Those hurt.

Never give up and dont quit. And never drink any of those "energy" drinks to run.

21. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    The only caffeine I have is 2-3 cans of pop a day. That's it.

22. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    this one does more than pushups but I'm a little iffy on the delivery but Japan be Japan I guess

23. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone

Last edited by yuyuyup, Dec 13, 2016
  24. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Cut pop out completely.... It's ridiculous how much cutting sugary drinks out of your diet can help. And personally I don't trust diet soda either as you're drinking something with zero nutritional value whatsoever.

Two months ago I completely overhauled my diet. Cut out sugary drinks and snacks. Cut out 90% of fast food (still eat Subway occasionally when I'm on the road). Switch the bulk of my diet to whole, organic foods. My wife found a farm about 30 minutes away that raisies livestock and we bought a meat share so 4 times a year we get like 80# of grass fed, organic poultry/beef/pork and it's some of the best meat I've ever had. We plan to buy a vegetable share later this year.

As someone said before, weight loss is 90% diet. I've lost 25# in two months and have only just started running the past couple days to help expedite the last 15# I'm looking to lose. That's at 30 years old... Imagine what all you teens/twenty-somethings are capable of.

I have a deviated septum from a broken nose like 15 years ago... It really limits my nose-breathing after a few minutes of cardio. Never paid much mind to it before but I think I'll be looking into getting it corrected after this post.

Hikaru, J-Machine and yuyuyup like this.
  25. J-Machine

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    not big on artificial sweeteners but I'll give it a try. I found this gainer that uses sugar too if you are interested http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/serious-mass-p-241.html
    I'd prefer a stevia based one but until then I'll probably alternate between these two