OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YVi5wwk.png

April 14th: Rules have been amended, please read below

Remember when we introduced the exclusive Tempiibo yesterday? Did it sound a little too good to be true? If it did, you were right in trusting your intuitions, because Tempiibo is not a real thing... yet.

The GBAtemp Accessory Printing Bounty - Runs to July 1st, 2015 0:00 GMT
Remember when the Homebrew Bounty was a thing? Remember the wild popularity and the cool applications our very own community members designed and developed? Now it is your turn to create something great! We are proud and extremely excited to announce the GBAtemp Accessory Printing Bounty!​
In this bounty, we on the GBAtemp.net Staff are offering you guys $150 to write a tutorial on successfully printing a custom Amiibo or other game accessory! This tutorial will be graded according to the following three criterion by our Staff:​

• Disassembly of accessories
  • Scanning of pieces - can be at home or whatever will work for you!
  • Printing of high-quality parts
AMENDED CRITERIA, as of April 14
  • Design of an accessory figurine of a recognizable character or style
  • Printing of said figurine
  • Tutorials that include deconstruction and scanning will be scored higher than those which do not
There are already communities that design custom Amiibo figurines, and examples of things to note are below in the following images:
TFDlcUK.jpg
Image credit: silvaduarte
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fzf6Vfz.jpg
Image credit: a_magnificent_human
[Prebreak][/prebreak]
Based on the images, this endeavor will require some skill to be able to do successfully, and it's your goal to be able to write a tutorial that could be replicated by people. Follow the three criterion above, and do it well, and that $150 bounty could very much end up in your wallet!​
Your deadline for this tutorial bounty is July 1st, 0:00 GMT. Get those pens scratching, and start planning!​
Your tutorials should be submitted via Private Message to Vulpes Abnocto or other moderator of your choice.​
For further inquiries related to this bounty, please contact any Staff member via private message - we will be happy to answer any questions! Good luck - we're really looking forward to seeing how things turn out!​

Special thanks to FAST6191 and Qtis for advice, Tom Bombadildo for ideas, Ryukouki for writing, then Wellington2k and BVer (she knows who she is) for images.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Make a tutorial how to produce your own amiibo or amiibo parts to customize existing one.
be it kid modeling clay, professional fimo clay or 3D printing.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a tutorial how to produce your own amiibo or amiibo parts to customize existing one.
be it kid modeling clay, professional fimo clay or 3D printing.

Clay could be used for the prototyping, but at some point 3D printing has to be a part of the equation.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Wait so does this mean homebrew bounty is ded and we will have accessory creating contests from now on?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Clay could be used for the prototyping, but at some point 3D printing has to be a part of the equation.
Doesn't that quite heavily limit the amount of people who can participate in this? I don't know anyone who has a 3D printer and haven't even seen one in real life.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't that quite heavily limit the amount of people who can participate in this?

Unfortunately, yes it does.
Even though the price of home printers is dropping, and more schools, libraries, and businesses are buying into the technology, it's still not anywhere near "common".
When you start researching the amiibo customizing community you see a lot of people talking about 3D printing but few people are actually doing it, either because they don't have the access to printers, don't have the knowledge to do such work, or don't have the impetus to print game accessories.
This contest isn't meant to be all-inclusive; It's meant to push the community in a direction that it seems hesitant to proceed into.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
There should be relatively low cost 3D printing services available online. Depending on how much plastic you use, the product itself may not be all that expensive to make. Sure, there will be some out of pocket costs, and you do have to provide your own 3D design, which means you'll have to do a bit of 3D modeling. You all have three months though, but keep in mind that a 3D printing service may take upwards of a couple of weeks to process your custom order, so if you're interested, do make a timetable. If you're aiming to make an accessory, of course you may be able to make a more basic design that's easier to pull off as a beginner, though unless you find a way to make a solid plastic functional accessory, you'll need some ability with electronics for either repurposing or creating from scratch.

This won't be an easy one for many people, and I honestly don't anticipate too many entries simply due to the amount of time, resources, and ability this contest will take, from design, to creation, to writing the tutorial in a way that an uneducated nincompoop like myself can reasonably follow. At the same time, I feel like we really could get some stellar creations out of this, so I urge those with the time and ability not to ignore this, but to give it your best shot and show the community what your creativity is capable of.

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There should be relatively low cost 3D printing services available online. Depending on how much plastic you use, the product itself may not be all that expensive to make. Sure, there will be some out of pocket costs, and you do have to provide your own 3D design, which means you'll have to do a bit of 3D modeling. You all have three months though, but keep in mind that a 3D printing service may take upwards of a couple of weeks to process your custom order, so if you're interested, do make a timetable. If you're aiming to make an accessory, of course you may be able to make a more basic design that's easier to pull off as a beginner, though unless you find a way to make a solid plastic functional accessory, you'll need some ability with electronics for either repurposing or creating from scratch.

This won't be an easy one for many people, and I honestly don't anticipate too many entries simply due to the amount of time, resources, and ability this contest will take, from design, to creation, to writing the tutorial in a way that an uneducated nincompoop like myself can reasonably follow. At the same time, I feel like we really could get some stellar creations out of this, so I urge those with the time and ability not to ignore this, but to give it your best shot and show the community what your creativity is capable of.

I call next one being 3DS custom sticker or case.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any restrictions on the type of accessory or the associated game system(s)? Can the tutorial describe creating a brand new type of accessory?

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I could definitely participate in this contest since my school has 3D printers and I have some knowledge in 3D modeling, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough time to dedicate to this at the moment. Might be able to do so in the upcoming 2-week break though, we'll see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night