The GBAtemp Accessory Printing Bounty: April 1 - July 1, 2015

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Vulpes Abnocto, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]

April 14th: Rules have been amended, please read below

Remember when we introduced the exclusive Tempiibo yesterday? Did it sound a little too good to be true? If it did, you were right in trusting your intuitions, because Tempiibo is not a real thing... yet.

The GBAtemp Accessory Printing Bounty - Runs to July 1st, 2015 0:00 GMT

Remember when the Homebrew Bounty was a thing? Remember the wild popularity and the cool applications our very own community members designed and developed? Now it is your turn to create something great! We are proud and extremely excited to announce the GBAtemp Accessory Printing Bounty!​
    In this bounty, we on the GBAtemp.net Staff are offering you guys $150 to write a tutorial on successfully printing a custom Amiibo or other game accessory! This tutorial will be graded according to the following three criterion by our Staff:​

• Disassembly of accessories
    • Scanning of pieces - can be at home or whatever will work for you!
    • Printing of high-quality parts
    AMENDED CRITERIA, as of April 14
    • Design of an accessory figurine of a recognizable character or style
    • Printing of said figurine
    • Tutorials that include deconstruction and scanning will be scored higher than those which do not
    There are already communities that design custom Amiibo figurines, and examples of things to note are below in the following images:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Based on the images, this endeavor will require some skill to be able to do successfully, and it's your goal to be able to write a tutorial that could be replicated by people. Follow the three criterion above, and do it well, and that $150 bounty could very much end up in your wallet!​
    Your deadline for this tutorial bounty is July 1st, 0:00 GMT. Get those pens scratching, and start planning!​

Your tutorials should be submitted via Private Message to Vulpes Abnocto or other moderator of your choice.​

For further inquiries related to this bounty, please contact any Staff member via private message - we will be happy to answer any questions! Good luck - we're really looking forward to seeing how things turn out!​

Special thanks to FAST6191 and Qtis for advice, Tom Bombadildo for ideas, Ryukouki for writing, then Wellington2k and BVer (she knows who she is) for images.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    OMG WORST APRIL FOOLS JOKE EVER WHAT A JOKE GBATEMP IS NOW SEWER DISGUSTING

3. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Do Amiibos that have defects can join?

4. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    It's not a defect it's a customization!

5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    That noseless mario head is a little creepy, it's weegees long lost brother.

6. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    In my mind I can just see somebody making a Clockwork Orange Mario with a seriously elongated schnoz....

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Make a tutorial how to produce your own amiibo or amiibo parts to customize existing one.
    be it kid modeling clay, professional fimo clay or 3D printing.

8. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States

Clay could be used for the prototyping, but at some point 3D printing has to be a part of the equation.

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Wait so does this mean homebrew bounty is ded and we will have accessory creating contests from now on?

10. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States

What? No. This is a completely separate contest.

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Doesn't that quite heavily limit the amount of people who can participate in this? I don't know anyone who has a 3D printer and haven't even seen one in real life.

12. Vulpes Abnocto
    OP

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States

Unfortunately, yes it does.
    Even though the price of home printers is dropping, and more schools, libraries, and businesses are buying into the technology, it's still not anywhere near "common".
    When you start researching the amiibo customizing community you see a lot of people talking about 3D printing but few people are actually doing it, either because they don't have the access to printers, don't have the knowledge to do such work, or don't have the impetus to print game accessories.
    This contest isn't meant to be all-inclusive; It's meant to push the community in a direction that it seems hesitant to proceed into.

13. Retr0Capez

Retr0Capez GBATemp's Official Evil Genius

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    In my vision of the perfect world ruled by me
    In louisiana, there isn't a 3D printer to be seen

14. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    There should be relatively low cost 3D printing services available online. Depending on how much plastic you use, the product itself may not be all that expensive to make. Sure, there will be some out of pocket costs, and you do have to provide your own 3D design, which means you'll have to do a bit of 3D modeling. You all have three months though, but keep in mind that a 3D printing service may take upwards of a couple of weeks to process your custom order, so if you're interested, do make a timetable. If you're aiming to make an accessory, of course you may be able to make a more basic design that's easier to pull off as a beginner, though unless you find a way to make a solid plastic functional accessory, you'll need some ability with electronics for either repurposing or creating from scratch.

This won't be an easy one for many people, and I honestly don't anticipate too many entries simply due to the amount of time, resources, and ability this contest will take, from design, to creation, to writing the tutorial in a way that an uneducated nincompoop like myself can reasonably follow. At the same time, I feel like we really could get some stellar creations out of this, so I urge those with the time and ability not to ignore this, but to give it your best shot and show the community what your creativity is capable of.

Qtis, Silverthorn and Vulpes Abnocto like this.
  15. Retr0Capez

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    I call next one being 3DS custom sticker or case.

16. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Are there any restrictions on the type of accessory or the associated game system(s)? Can the tutorial describe creating a brand new type of accessory?

17. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Spiky!

Mar 27, 2012
    France

I could definitely participate in this contest since my school has 3D printers and I have some knowledge in 3D modeling, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough time to dedicate to this at the moment. Might be able to do so in the upcoming 2-week break though, we'll see.

18. Retr0Capez

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    Just one thing Vulpes, why is there skylanders in the banner?

19. gamesgames

gamesgames Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    because Vulpes included
    Code:
    "...a custom Amiibo or other game accessory!..."
    So a skylander is part of the other game accessory category...

20. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Not to mention that depending on what you want to do, those are just as good for a base and NFC stickers as any Amiibo.

Vulpes Abnocto likes this.