Status
Not open for further replies.

Unoalpho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard about the Gba emulator for the iplayer.
Is it possible that if the acekard,r4,dstt or whatever Cartridge you have to make another kernel that has extra ram like the iplayer and run the Gba emu? or update thier core kernel?

I know that this is a noob question and do not post on this topic any bad comments like calling me stupid or anything.
Thanks

Wii_Manic

Trophies
XP
Country
Simple Answer : No
Long Answer :Noooooooooooooo (couldnt resist
laugh.gif
)

Anyway

Ram = Built In
Firmware/Kernal = Installed

So you would have to buy an new card to run it, that had extra ram so.
If you just instal firmware/kernal it cant adjust the cards internal properties.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You seem to misunderstand the term of RAM and Kernel.

The Kernel or more usually firmware is a software which controls how the card boots and operates, things such as the v1.4 DSi block can be avoided using this method.

RAM is hardware which holds information while there is power in it and is very quick to access. Software cannot increase the amount of RAM in a cart.

I believe you mean "Can they make a new cart that will be able to run the GBA Emulator?" And the answer to the is a...maybe. The GBA Emu is coded to use specifically the iPlayer's extra hardware (the cpu and extra RAM etc.) to give the DS the necessary oomph to emulate the GBA, any other card looking to run this would have to copy the hardware exactly which none will do so even if they were to release such a cartridge a new emulator would have to be coded for each cart. The iPlayer has been around for a little while now with its added ability to run avis and divx files but no other flashcart manufaturers have created their own version so, alas, it appears that none wish to make such a device for whatever reason.

And yes, it was a n00bish question. RELEASE THE FLAME TORRENTS!

Unoalpho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be able to work on other flashcarts
Some people said that the dstti couldnt update but it can. Making a point that you might be wrong like they were.
Some Flashcarts might have extra Ram that is unused and not much people no about.
But in order for it to work wouldn't darkchen have to make special versions for the different flashcarts?

and again do not call me stupid

Unoalpho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not sure if it will work JackyJack It might but im not sure. Don't try it unless you have a backup flashcart or you search it on google or something.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
The iPlayer has a small CPU in the cart itself. It is this which the emulator is using to allow it to emulate the GBA. No other cart has this to my knowledge and people would know as every new model flashcart will have been taken apart at some point.

Jackyjack it will not work with your current flashcart and a RAM expansion as although this may give it the space for the ROM it does not give it the necessary processing power to emulate.

And nobody called you stupid Unoalpho just a n00b and you said yourself it might be a n00bish question, it is.

Bottom Line: THE GBA EMULATOR WILL ONLY WORK ON iPlayer AND THIS WILL ALWAY BE THE CASE!!! In order to run GBA ROMs on a DS without an iPlayer you need a Slot-2 flashcart which, as it is in slot-2, can access and use the GBA hardware within the DS.

Unoalpho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i mean by backup flashcard is that you have another one just incase something happens to the first one but you might not need one just search google if it would work with a ram expansion pack

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
The iPlayer has a small CPU in the cart itself. It is this which the emulator is using to allow it to emulate the GBA. No other cart has this to my knowledge and people would know as every new model flashcart will have been taken apart at some point.

Jackyjack it will not work with your current flashcart and a RAM expansion as although this may give it the space for the ROM it does not give it the necessary processing power to emulate.

And nobody called you stupid Unoalpho just a n00b and you said yourself it might be a n00bish question, it is.

Bottom Line: THE GBA EMU WILL ONLY WORK ON iPlayer AND THIS WILL ALWAY BE THE CASE!!!

Bolding the word "EMU" in the last line may stop a little confusion. Maybe

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Good point, I shall add a qualifying statement about Slot-2 Flashcarts into the post.

@Eighty4 It isn't so much a question of RAM than processing power. The DS just doesn't have the grunt to emulate the GBA while in DS mode but it does have the GBA hardware in it to run GBA games via Slot-2 hence why Slot-2 Flashcarts can run GBA games and homebrew.

gigermunit

Trophies
Website
gigermunit.uni.cc
XP
Country
United States
updowners said:
Jamstruth said:

Bottom Line: THE GBA EMU WILL ONLY WORK ON iPlayer AND THIS WILL ALWAY BE THE CASE!!!

Bolding the word "EMU" in the last line may stop a little confusion. Maybe
fixed.

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unoalpho said:
How much more Ram does the iplaye and dsi have over Acekard and Dsi?

It has nothing to do with RAM. The main reason why it will not work on any other flash carts is because the iPlayer has a separate CPU inside of the cart itself, which NONE of the other flash carts have. The next issue is RAM, the iPlayer has significantly more RAM then any other flash cart. There isn't any hidden RAM no one knows about. Please stop repeating these questions, it will only work on the iPlayer, period. NEVER EVER EVER on anything else, no matter how bad you want it.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Even if you clap your hands and say "I believe the R4 can do it" all night long while coated in pixie dust on a full moon when Venus is rising.

Unoalpho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't matter if the iplayer has a cpu built into it the other emulators don't need built in computers to run. The only problem is the limited ram. and Sooner or later someone will find a way past this.

Eternity`

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unoalpho said:
it doesn't matter if the iplayer has a cpu built into it the other emulators don't need built in computers to run. The only problem is the limited ram. and Sooner or later someone will find a way past this.

It DOES matter that the iplayer have an build in cpu.

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A CPU does not mean a computer. CPU= Central Processing Unit. The other emulators work without the extra processing power is because the resources need to run them are very low. I think because the extra information need to run the games were actually stored on the cartridge itself.

Emulators for these older console just 'read' the information from the ROM and display the necessary information on the screen.
The GBA is similar, but each ROM has many, many times more information than say an NES or SNES rom.

You need more processing power power in order to access the data on the ROM fast enough.
The DS is more powerful than a GBA, but only so much so. In order to emulate the GBA you need extra processing power i.e. another CPU.

Now, will flash card companies start add an extra cpu to the cards? I don't know. It may depend on how small all the necessary components can get. There is only so much room in a flash card as it is. It may happen if the CPUs get small enough AND cheap enough.

I hope that helps clear up some thing for you.

::Disclaimer::
I may have oversimplified things, or have gotten them completely wrong.
If something I said is wrong let me know and I will edit my post.
This post is based off of my very crappy memory so, sorry if it is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: