The .gba and .sc.nds files in Homebrew Apps/Games

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Disasterpiece, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Disasterpiece
    OP

Newcomer Disasterpiece Member

United States
    I've recently downloaded some homebrew apps and games and I've noticed that many of them have the .nds file with a .gba and/or .sc.nds file along with it. What is the purpose of the .gba file? Is it needed? Same witht he .sc.nds file. Thanks for help

2. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm not sure on this one but I think the .gba(or gba.ds w/e) is for Slot-2 carts. And the sc.nds is the one for the old Supercard Slot 2 models.

Again, I'm not sure on this one, but I think thats what I heard about it. [​IMG]

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Oh, SC CF, how I miss you

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    *.nds files are regular, plain executables.
    *.ds.gba files are meant for old-school NOR-based GBA flash carts. They are the same as *.nds files but with a small header attached to the front and renamed so that the GBA flashing software will allow it to be flashed to the card.
    *.sc.nds files are exactly the same as *.ds.gba files but again renamed so that the slot-2 Supercards will boot them in DS mode (they boot based off of file extension). Basically, the slot-2 Supercards needed the .ds.gba file's header but needed it to end in *.nds to boot in the right mode. To avoid naming conflicts, homebrew authors added the ".sc" to the filename.

However, this system is mostly deprecated now that regular *.nds files can be flashed to GBA flash carts and the Supercard firmware now runs regular *.nds files much better after a firmware update. PAlib probably still outputs all three files, but a single *.nds file made with a standard, recent DevKitARM installation should be able to work fine on all device.