The Game Awards announces its nominations for GOTY 2020

EnJQNbUVEAMX3jr.jpg

Another year means another hotly-debated Game Awards show, featuring the best games that have released throughout 2020. The annual show has announced which games have been nominated for various categories, such as best game direction, performance, audio design, and of course, game of the year. Major titles such as DOOM Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Hades, The Last of Us Part II, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons are all up for vote for 2020's best game. The results will be aired live on December 10th.

:arrow: Source

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I feel like TLoU2 is too controversial to win but considering how little our opinion matters in this vote (and it being nominated in almost every other category) it'll probably win because critics are easy to impress with subverting stories that are subversive for subversion sake and not to tell a interesting story. Give the game a year or two and people will remember the game less fondly in retrospect once the hype dies down.

As much as I love Animal Crossing, I voted for Hades.

The Family Game section is just sad though. You can really tell that the critics were grasping at straws in this section because Paper Mario made it. A game made by a dev team that keeps screeching at the Paper Mario fanbase for liking... Paper Mario (and TTYD) and would rather make shitty gimmicky combat systems that get old really fast and lack any character progression outside of more resources to tick checkboxes in the overworld. If they wanna make an Adventure game rather than RPG then double down and ditch the turn based combat system.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii Play is in the place 23th and not cause of that I'm gonna say it was the best game of 2007
Liked or not, New Horizons sold that much cause of the pandemic.
It just released in the perfect timing, but to this point, we should know that just because something is popular or sold a lot, doesn't mean its good.
I love Animal Crossing, specially New Leaf, and I have play New Horizons for like 300 hours, but I don't think it deserves the nomination
The crazy sales numbers are definitely enhanced by the pandemic but that should be true for all games on the list in 2020 so it's still a fair metric. I'm also sure that way more people bought a Switch just to play New Horizons too. But, like I said there are other reasons too.. such as longevity and the fact it's a family friendly game. I'm almost certain it won't win so none of that matters really. It will be a game with a strong narrative and more adult in nature.

Reactions: pwokk and banjo2
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how does this work? if it's throughout 2020 then why isn't Cyberpunk 2077 considered?
I think it might win the awards hands down, if somehow it becomes eligible. Maybe it'll be in the 2021 edition?

edit: nevermind, I get it, it'll be game of the year 2077
Theres a cutoff date every year and today is the date.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I mean.. It's not a bad game, per se. It just took everything that made 2016 good, shat on it and threw in some Half assed filler sections (platforming) to extend the playtime.
Well I never claimed it was bad, it’s just there seems to be this circlejerk surrounding it for some reason

Reactions: Kioku

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It’s worth remembering that the big dog critics control the votes, and that this is also a marketing show, in a way.

Ghost did great, but not so insanely well that it seemed to become beloved by critics.

TLOU2 had way too much controversy, but honestly? With an upcoming TV show, and with the rage having died down in the interim after launch, I could see it happening.

But Animal Crossing seems like the clear pick, imo. It took over social media, it sold like absolute hot cakes, everyone and their dog played it during the lockdown. It’s primed to be the darling pick of 2020.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The system is actually very fair as their FAQ section describes but which game is nominated is completely up to gaming outlets.

Gaming outlets make a list with 5 games that came out between Nov 20th 2019 and Nov 20th 2020 in each category and then only 6 get nominated per each category (those that appear on the lists the most ofc). People gotta chose one and in December the votes will be counted.

Critic votes matter 90% Gamer votes matter 10%
To put it simply, 9 gamers voting for game A will tie a single critic voting for Game B. As soon as a 10th gamer votes for Game A the critic vote for Game B gets outvoted.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kids & wife are obsessed with animal crossing, my girls vandalizing each others property is hilarious. They rarely take to a game like this.

Broad mainstream appeal of Animal crossing is my guess to pull it out.

Hardcores over estimating the appeal of console exclusive PS4 titles, TLOU2 is the strongest contender cause "MEHVIRTUESIGNALZHURREYGEYSTUFF".

Doom has no shot, it wont win but I am hoping for Hades.

GatoFiestero

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
The shitty indie again sneaks into the GOTY.

I see. This thing about the Americans wanting to establish awards for all the existing shit has not worked well.

Press bought from different countries tends to favor their sponsors.

Come on, it's an award for stupid people. An advertisement devoid of any value.

Reactions: Redhorse

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.