The Game Awards 2017 Winners and Announcements

the-game-awards-2017-logo-747x309.jpeg

It's that time of the year again!

No, not Christmas or New Year (although those are pretty close too...) but it's time for The Game Awards, the pompous event that recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry!

Created in 2014 by media entrepreneur Geoff Keighley, the event has grown to look more and more professional with the years, especially considering the fiasco of its predecessor, VGX (okay, we shouldn't really be talking about that...). The Game Awards is starting to feel like a real celebration of both game creators and game players with its line of renowned guests, grandiose setup and sneak peeks of upcoming games. This year's edition will feature guests ranging from Hideo Kojima, Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro (mandatory bromance trio) to performance capture actor Andy Serkis (Gollum, Supreme Leader Snoke) and Rick and Morty's co-creator Justin Roiland!

On top of that the program is broadcast globally, free-of-charge, and can be streamed on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter and of course, right here on GBAtemp as it starts airing at 1 a.m GMT (Friday):

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite game in different categories right here!

What are you most excited about the event? Will you be tuning in? Share your thoughts below!

Announcements

• Saber Interactive's World War Z announced (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • Owlchemy Labs' VR Game Vacation Simulator coming 2018 (Oculus | Vive | PSVR)
  • Crows Crows Crows' Accounting+ coming to PSVR 19th December (PSVR)
  • From Software's newest project teased - "Shadows Die Twice."
  • Campo Santo's In the Valley of Gods announced for 2019
  • New Zelda BotW DLC releases tonight
  • Soul Calibur VI coming 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • THQ Nordic's new game Fade to Silence releases 14th December (Steam)
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Nintendo Switch in February 2018
  • Bayonetta 3 announced for Nintendo Switch
  • Kojima's Death Stranding just looks insane and brilliant; much like the man himself
  • Witchfire announced from the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • New footage shown for A Way Out - with my new favourite person narrating, releasing March 28th
  • Jumanji video game announced
  • Media Molecule's Dreams was shown in a new trailer, coming 2018
  • GTFO announced, a four player co-op FPS with the tagline: "Work Together or Die Together"
  • 4A Games' Metro Exodus trailer shown, coming fall 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
Award Winners

• Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2
  • Best Sports Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7
  • Best VR / AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead
  • Industry Icon - Carol Shaw
  • Best RPG - Persona 5
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us: Part II
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best eSports Team - Cloud9
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch
  • Best eSports Player - Faker
  • Best Student Game - Level Squared
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Performance - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Action-Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited by Scarlet,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Pleasantly surprised by the BOTW DLC dropping tonight! But I guess it makes sense to release it right after it wins GOTY as expected.

That would be kinda funny if BOTW didn't win and Nintendo held back the update out of spite :P

Last edited by zoogie,

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn if only my pc could run Breath of The wild without acting like a turd, maybe I would agree with game of the year.
Horizon was a really solid experience and I enjoyed it very much. Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy or Cuphead really made GOTH for me.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn if only my pc could run Breath of The wild without acting like a turd, maybe I would agree with game of the year.
Horizon was a really solid experience and I enjoyed it very much. Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy or Cuphead really made GOTH for me.
Or you know, buy a Wii U or Switch

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had more fun watching an awards show than I did tonight. Not necessarily because of the show itself, some funny moments like the ranting English challenged guy who said "Fuck the Oscars," the Industry Icon speech from that woman, the Zelda cosplay and sword pull was really cute. It was amazing because I watched it with some people and it was great commenting and making funny remarks. The best of them all, I'll just say the "host" of this little party pretty much hates Nintendo, Mario even more. When that orchestra busted out that Mario Odyssey song and the beautiful woman in red was singing, the host made the best facial expressions ever. I shoved my Nintendo love at them a bit, the person flipped me off, I was begging for Mario Odyssey to win Game of the Year, just to see the host explode. They were fine with Zelda winning, so that anticipated climax didn't happen. Still, fucking awesome.

As far as the actual awards show, I mentioned some highlights, again the Mario Odyssey music number was incredible, that whole orchestra was amazing, I loved pointing out some of the musical cues that nobody else caught, such as Mortal Kombat and DOOM. I will say what topped it all, Bayonetta 3, that's my Nintendo orgasm of the night, I made that clear to everyone and calmed down until the Mario/Nintendo hate came out.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So happy Breath of the Wild got game of the year! Even is someone doesn't own a Wii U or Switch, it's worth a play via Cemu. I LOVE playing it on my Wii U! Congrats Nintendo!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just watched it. It was actually very, very good (unlike E3 which always has some cringeworthy moments and publishers just buying time to talk about themselves). :)

The mix of reveals, placing people in the spotlight and music was also spot on, IMHO. And while I did not always agree with the decisions (I just can't get into Zelda BOTW :unsure: ), I always respect the choices.

To my own surprise, the best part to me was the heartwarming spotlight for Carol Shaw, one of (if not the actual) first female designers in the game industry.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Award Winners

• Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
When not-a-game wins narrative. Should have fucking given it to a visual novel with at least a game over screen to even put up illusions. Nier or Hellblade should have walked away with this.

I personally think Mario should have won GOTY, but Zelda fans are pandered to for a game that has many issues, and could be considered a step backwards for certain core aspects of Zelda.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,
Reactions: B.B.Link

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When not-a-game wins narrative. Should have fucking given it to a visual novel with at least a game over screen to even put up illusions. Nier or Hellblade should have walked away with this.

I personally think Mario should have won GOTY, but Zelda fans are pandered to for a game that has many issues, and could be considered a step backwards for certain core aspects of Zelda.

Odyssey too has many issues.

Reactions: DarthDub

JPnintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
BotW is a good game, with “Zelda name”. But not enough for a GOTY award. It lacks a lot of the zelda series iconic things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet