The Game Awards 2017 Winners and Announcements

the-game-awards-2017-logo-747x309.jpeg

It's that time of the year again!

No, not Christmas or New Year (although those are pretty close too...) but it's time for The Game Awards, the pompous event that recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry!

Created in 2014 by media entrepreneur Geoff Keighley, the event has grown to look more and more professional with the years, especially considering the fiasco of its predecessor, VGX (okay, we shouldn't really be talking about that...). The Game Awards is starting to feel like a real celebration of both game creators and game players with its line of renowned guests, grandiose setup and sneak peeks of upcoming games. This year's edition will feature guests ranging from Hideo Kojima, Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro (mandatory bromance trio) to performance capture actor Andy Serkis (Gollum, Supreme Leader Snoke) and Rick and Morty's co-creator Justin Roiland!

On top of that the program is broadcast globally, free-of-charge, and can be streamed on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter and of course, right here on GBAtemp as it starts airing at 1 a.m GMT (Friday):

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite game in different categories right here!

What are you most excited about the event? Will you be tuning in? Share your thoughts below!

Announcements

• Saber Interactive's World War Z announced (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • Owlchemy Labs' VR Game Vacation Simulator coming 2018 (Oculus | Vive | PSVR)
  • Crows Crows Crows' Accounting+ coming to PSVR 19th December (PSVR)
  • From Software's newest project teased - "Shadows Die Twice."
  • Campo Santo's In the Valley of Gods announced for 2019
  • New Zelda BotW DLC releases tonight
  • Soul Calibur VI coming 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • THQ Nordic's new game Fade to Silence releases 14th December (Steam)
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Nintendo Switch in February 2018
  • Bayonetta 3 announced for Nintendo Switch
  • Kojima's Death Stranding just looks insane and brilliant; much like the man himself
  • Witchfire announced from the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • New footage shown for A Way Out - with my new favourite person narrating, releasing March 28th
  • Jumanji video game announced
  • Media Molecule's Dreams was shown in a new trailer, coming 2018
  • GTFO announced, a four player co-op FPS with the tagline: "Work Together or Die Together"
  • 4A Games' Metro Exodus trailer shown, coming fall 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
Award Winners

• Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2
  • Best Sports Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7
  • Best VR / AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead
  • Industry Icon - Carol Shaw
  • Best RPG - Persona 5
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us: Part II
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best eSports Team - Cloud9
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch
  • Best eSports Player - Faker
  • Best Student Game - Level Squared
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Performance - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Action-Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited by Scarlet,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry but you have no right to call fanboy to anyone who loves that game.
BOTW is a masterpiece and thats not an opinion, its a fact.
That's funny. I played the game recently and it's just okay. No interesting puzzles, the Divine Beasts rely way too hard on their gimmick rather than any sort of interesting puzzles, so many shrines are repetitive and they all look the same, the world is pretty empty too, mostly just big open fields and mountais from what I saw. Sure sometimes you see monster towers, stables, and ruins but those aren't particularly interesting. The side quests I did were pretty bad too. Go get x amount of y items or go take a picture of x object.
Someone likes a game I don't

"uhhHhHH FaANBOIIII"
They are acting like a fanboy by saying the it's a fact that the game is a "masterpiece". If that's your opinion then whatever, but don't say that it's fact.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's funny. I played the game recently and it's just okay. No interesting puzzles, the Divine Beasts rely way too hard on their gimmick rather than any sort of interesting puzzles, so many shrines are repetitive and they all look the same, the world is pretty empty too, mostly just big open fields and mountais from what I saw. Sure sometimes you see monster towers, stables, and ruins but those aren't particularly interesting. The side quests I did were pretty bad too. Go get x amount of y items or go take a picture of x object.

They are acting like a fanboy by saying the it's a fact that the game is a "masterpiece". If that's your opinion then whatever, but don't say that it's fact.
From a traditional Zelda fanboy, BotW was utterly lacking in replayability. The weapon system, korok seeds, terrible main dungeons and bosses... The shrines.. The open world lacking in exploration.... Meh.

Even looking at it like an open world game? It's no Elder Scrolls or Witcher. There's truly not enough content to justify the price. It's repetitive and redundant.. Eh. I digress. My opinion. Definitely not a GOTY title.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
lmao if BOTW and Odyssey win something it'll be "Nintendo fanboys" and if they don't, it'll be "You see that Nintendo games are inferior after all" so yeah. I'm a Ninty fan but I won't get butthurt if another awesome game that's not made by Nintendo wins. The awards were made to determine what game is the best of the best in each category after all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, I get called a "Sonic fanboy" when I say Sonic Forces is far from being bad, while I'm not that much of a Sonic fan. All of the games nominated are real candidates for the GOTY title, whether it's made by Big N or another dev.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica

I personally think the game is a 7.6/10, it's good but not 10/10 good (I played the Wii U version)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
lmao if BOTW and Odyssey win something it'll be "Nintendo fanboys" and if they don't, it'll be "You see that Nintendo games are inferior after all" so yeah. I'm a Ninty fan but I won't get butthurt if another awesome game that's not made by Nintendo wins. The awards were made to determine what game is the best of the best in each category after all.

Actually, I get called a "Sonic fanboy" when I say Sonic Forces is far from being bad, while I'm not that much of a Sonic fan. All of the games nominated are real candidates for the GOTY title, whether it's made by Big N or another dev.
I thoroughly enjoyed Odyssey. It took me back to my SM64 days. Some aspects could have been better, but it was all around an enjoyable experience. I'd be okay with it winning GOTY.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally think the game is a 7.6/10, it's good but not 10/10 good (I played the Wii U version)
I don't really agree with number scores (or a lot of reviews in general, or wannabe critics) because they always fail to give reasons why something is good or bad on a more critical level and often just use buzzwords (like innovative, polished, breath taking, etc).

But yeah, taste is subjective and we all enjoy different things.

D

Deleted User

Situation: someone likes a game I don't

"uhhHhHH FaANBOIIII"
I have nothing against it. It just (imo) doesnt bring anything new to the table *and* isnt a traditional zelda. I said fanboys because there are those people who say that a zelda game is a good game even before they played it. And they triumph over every success point of the game while talking shit about the same mistakes when they apear in other games. I dont say its not good, i dont say every fan is a fanboy, what I do say is that there are too many fanboys who lick ninty's ass even when its full of crap... and they will probably force the game to get chosen. Also whats bad about them is that they wont accept other's views... there was a site that got ddos for a low score to zelda. There was more similar crap going on and it still is... i would give q high score to botw but not 9.9 and have nothing against the ppl whi enjoy it, but i think there are games that deserve this award way more but wont get it just because of a gazilion fanboys.

Between the bad spelling and overall terrible attitude.. You're either a bad troll or forgot your meds.
His comment looked like something humorous, so I continued with it. The bad spelling was on purpose. Also never assume on the internet that EVERYBODY have a perfect english similar to somebody who was born in an english talking society

Edit- i quote: "BOTW is a masterpiece and thats not an opinion, its a fact."

Last edited by ,
Reactions: B.B.Link

Apathetic_Discord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Think i'ma just sit here and pre-empt my saltiness over Nier Automata likely not receiving any awards, least of all for its soundtrack/music or it's story.
:glare:

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This... THIS... is so true
Whatever the result is, playstation fanboy and xboner will find a way to say "nintendo sucks"
Yes, îm a nintendo fanboy
I tryed playstation by buying a ps4 and it was clearly not for me
I sold it to get a switch

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, it seems people have forgotten Hollow Knight.

Bayo 3, mind blown O_O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?