The Funimation anime streaming app is now live on the Nintendo Switch eShop

aKnnmd3.png

Anime watchers can now get their fix on the Nintendo Switch. Following a two-year wait after the app's initial reveal and tease of "coming soon", Funimation is available on the Nintendo eShop, for United States and Canadian users. The Switch version implements Funimation's new revamped look, and more modern UI, which has been rehauled for easier use and navigation. Other regions such as the UK, Ireland, and Mexico have been confirmed to get the service eventually, though no concrete release date has been given.

Currently, Funimation's Premium Plus membership costs $7.99 a month, and offers ad-free access to ongoing anime, in dub and sub format.

:arrow: Source

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's pretty nice. I tend to use my Switch Lite for YouTube when I'm on the go and I can connect to free Wi-Fi somewhere, and I like having more video player options. There's a vintage backlog of anime dubs I always try to watch, and knowing I can view the ones Funimation has in their library is satisfying.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess this is going to be THE definitive anime app now that Sony's bought Crunchyroll.

Crunchyroll needs to be free 100% with PS Plus but knowing $ony they will still make their users pay for it if they want no adds. As for Nintendo they need to work out a deal with Netflix and maybe Disney

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crunchyroll needs to be free 100% with PS Plus but knowing $ony they will still make their users pay for it if they want no adds. As for Nintendo they need to work out a deal with Netflix and maybe Disney
or, how about we all just hop off the quick assumption train...considering while yes, a subsidiary of sony, a company owned by sony is indeed publishing games on the switch for indies. just on this premise I see crunchyroll still easily possible on the switch and as for the latter part...I really hope you don't mean them shelling out cash. I would hate to see a world where the streaming platforms become console exclusives...though sadly it seems these companies are lazy too...disney showed the switch as one of the platforms disney plus would come to but nothing has come of it yet and netflix hasn't said a dam thing...what are they waiting for? this seems like it would be a neat place for these services would it not?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

DerpDingus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A streaming app that Ive never heard of. Not like theirs a million other better known streaming companies that would provide more content than just anime.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is Funimation free as part of PS+? Because Sony has owned that for quite some time now.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why Netflix has skipped the Switch, they did the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, why would they skip over the most successful and beloved of those systems (yes I'm aware it hasn't outsold the Wii yet, but it is selling at a quicker rate and on pace to outsell it). For that matter, Disney+ and HBO Max really should be added too, but since they're so new, I can give them each a year or so before I start getting annoyed that they haven't joined the fray yet either. Seriously, to some extent it must be kinda embarrassing that only Hulu (of the major platforms) has taken advantage of the platform that is the Switch, sure there is Youtube and now Funimation, but I think you can probably gather why those aren't in the same realm as these major services that I'm addressing.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really have anything to say about this, because Funimation isn't available in my region....
Fuck them...I just hate region locking of services...
Just download it on the US eShop, it's not region locked in the slightest lol.

Just setup my UK account no issue.

Edit:
My bad, I misread your post! Thought you meant the app, not the service.

Last edited by Scarlet,
Reactions: Attila13

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Funimation free as part of PS+? Because Sony has owned that for quite some time now.

I think you have to pay which I think it's stupid. I can't blame people for pirating anime because if you think about it you need Crunchyroll + Funimation to really watch anime completely. If you are a PS Plus subscriber that should be a perk (Free Crunchyroll and Funimation) all ownership isn't good ownership. We stepped away from cable television because it was super expensive but if you have to subscribe to 10 different services to get what you want you might as well stick to cable.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended