The first three Dragon Quest games will be released on the Switch in the west

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sloppycrap

sloppycrap Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Afghanistan
    I will as soon as I have one. My wife keeps threatening to buy me a switch lite, but I'd be better off swapping that with my son's launch switch. Except I couldn't put that in my pocket.

2. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    It's a port of the android/ios remakes of the first 3 games that came out in 2012 it's not the old Nes versions.

3. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I have these three games for the Famicom :P haha
    I'm interested to see how it looks on the Switch, I have the first game on Android and it's... Okay...

4. Nevermore

Nevermore GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2014
    United States
    Actually that's FF14 that's funding it, lmao.

VartioArtel likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If those are the actual prices, I find it a bit disappointing that they aren't consistent. I don't know the actual value of them, but if they presented it to me as if they was something to be owned as a compilation, I rather it be all three in one with a acceptable price, or just make them all cost the same individually.

Honestly I never did like playing dragon quest games, I played the one on ps2 that my dad bought, which wasn't bad by any thing. Is not like there stuff wrong with them that are flaws and problematic on a developer level. But the way the characters talk like it was english over 100 years ago or something, and having to read the context got a bit challenging to comprehend. The spells wasn't easy to remember what they do because the names themself don't convey that on an instant like final fantasy with their names. I always had to stop and read the description to make sure is the thing I want, which reminds me of old phantasy star games. :blink:

Of course if you reading this by now, you realize is very subjective things. Is not always a fault of developers. But I bet I'm not the only one who have nuances like this that could shut down someone's entertainment factor. Just like how I complained about the font size in Xenoblade Chronicles X being too small to read. If I can't enjoy the game at its most basic level which I feel should be first priority especially for first impression, how can I get sucked into the game at all? I can someone feel like they should invest time in that? At the same time, i understand the things I mention perhaps is the charm the game has for people which I can agree if I personally didn't have poor mentality of it.

I did try Dragon Quest 11 demo on switch (which is far longer than I expected at least for a demo to be honest) which oddly enough I do find it more enjoyable. I actually considered buying it, the first time I think to buy one of these games in the series. Honestly I don't dislike RPG as a genre but there so many games I didn't enjoy playing. The main factors of that are bad pacing and flawed game design. I can list a bunch of games with things like that do things well and not. But guess I'll end things here. :ninja:

6. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    After finishing the finale boss of dragon quest 11, the original dragon quest game is unlocked and fully playable, at least on the ps4 version. selling it on the switch separately?, I guess this means it was cut from the switch version.

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    No SNES versions? I'll pass.

8. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I should be more enthused but man the original games are very very b... old. I fear they wont be fun to play anymore.

9. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    I think they are ports from the mobile version

10. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Looks that way and the mobile versions are sort of enhanced ports of the SNES versions.

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    not too bad.

12. morvoran

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Drinking leftist tears...Yummy!
    These are going to be the remakes, not the originals, so these are not the games "that started it all!" I was hoping for the wonderful 8-bit graphics that would bring back the nostalgia of playing Dragon Warrior for 200+ hours and never beating it because I could never reach the last boss in his castle.

I guess there are always emulators. That would save me a lot of money.

13. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    You took 200 hours to get to the last boss lol I can finish the whole Nes version in about 8 hours.

YukidaruPunch likes this.
  14. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    So does anyone have any good reason why they chose to resell them instead of putting them up on NSO? Sounds really greedy to me....

15. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Because its not the nes/snes versions its ports of the android remakes.

16. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Even so what is stopping them from putting the originals on the NSO?

17. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Language. The Nes versions were only ever in Japanese or English so would have to be translated for all the non English/Japanese speaking people in the world.

18. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    They already have the English dialog. Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to copy it over, especially since fan translations do just that.

19. AmandaRose

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Like I said they would have to translate it for other languages plus they will also make more money selling the port of the android version than they would make from putting the games on NSO.

20. morvoran

morvoran Trump supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    United States
    Drinking leftist tears...Yummy!
    I was like 8 years old back then and never reached the last boss. Plus, I had to rent the game and sometimes my save was erased between the times I rented it, so it was a collective 200 hours, not just one playthrough.
    I could beat it in 23 minutes today with an online guide that's shows how.

AmandaRose likes this.