The first Star Wars game for the Nintendo Switch will be Star Wars Pinball, launches Sept

Before we get to see this weekend's big Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order game reveal, we've been treated to the announcement of a side game: Star Wars Pinball, for the Nintendo Switch. You'll get to play pinball on 19 different tables, all inspired by different movies and characters throughout the franchise. The Nintendo Switch version will boast exclusive features, such as the ability to play vertically, a campaign mode full of challenging missions, and a physical release, the first for any Zen Pinball game. Star Wars Pinball will make its way to the galaxy of Nintendo Switch on September 13th.

NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE FEATURES AND MODES In addition to HD Rumble and vertical play, Star Wars Pinball boasts several features and modes exclusive to Nintendo Switch as a standalone product:
• Galactic Struggle: Every Star Wars Pinball player in the galaxy will choose to follow the light or dark side in a perpetual online digital tug-of-war between the forces of good and evil. What is your destiny?
• Career Mode: Designed with short on-the-go gameplay sessions in mind, this mode challenges you to complete very specific pinball-based missions across all 19 tables. Choose the path of the Jedi or the Sith as progress through 50 career ranks. Some missions involve mastering awesome Star Wars-themed minigames that might be difficult for some players to access through regular play, such as piloting an X-wing or TIE fighter or fighting Darth Vader in a lightsaber duel.
• Force Powers and Talents: Collect Holocron Shards during missions to unlock Force Powers and Talents that yield special in-game bonuses when activated, such as multipliers, slowing down time and more.
• Cantina Jukebox: Collect the greatest tunes in the galaxy as you play each table. Once you’ve heard a song, you can listen to it any time you like. As with past Zen Studios pinball releases, players can challenge anyone in the galaxy through Galactic Tournaments, League Play and, of course, old-fashioned high scores achieved through Single Player mode.

Reactions: fst312 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was expecting to hate this and make some snarky comment, but that trailer was pretty cool. Kinda makes me doubt Fallen Order is coming to Switch, though, given that it's Respawn and they haven't brought Apex Legends over.

Reactions: Mylink5

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how relevant star wars games actually are these days -- for all star wars the films being a meaningless concept for the games have played a fairly large role in bringing gameplay concepts to me.

Buzz wise the last to really pick up traction that I can recall was the original Force Unleashed, and apparently that was now a decade ago... wow I am old (some might say it was me remembering playing dark forces when it was new out on the PC, also PS1 a year later, but that it has been some 10 years since Force Unleashed says more to me).

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People. Zen are an extremely reputable & successful digital pinball company. No one else's fault if you've never heard of their games or don't follow the pinball scene.

Now... I could care less about any of Zens releases being on Switch unless it supports playing in portrait mode. Pinball in landscape mode on ANY platform kinda sucks in comparison.

Reactions: SS4

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Meh.

Unless you are a Pinball fanatic, more than one pinball game by console is ridiculous.

And I honesty prefer a game that includes several pinball tables to this.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

HOv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow. Will it have performance mode, to enable higher fps?

Why not just port mass effect trilogy? Surely the switch is more than capable of handling it.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh.

Unless you are a Pinball fanatic, more than one pinball game by console is ridiculous.

And I honesty prefer a game that includes several pinball tables to this.

This. Especially the latter. Why are these not incorporated into the already existing Pinball FX3 on Switch like they are on PC, PS3, PS4 and XB1? Also, Switch does not have a single one of the many, many Marvel tables. If they come later on I assume they will be another stand-alone like this one is, instead of properly integrated into FX3 like the other platforms. Having all 70 (give or take, I lost count) tables from the same studio in one convenient pinball game is just so logical. Why? Why handle things like this for the Switch version? Unless you're a pinball fanatic as stated... I'd just grab FX3 for one of the other systems over this since everything is in one nice package.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I wonder how relevant star wars games actually are these days -- for all star wars the films being a meaningless concept for the games have played a fairly large role in bringing gameplay concepts to me.

Buzz wise the last to really pick up traction that I can recall was the original Force Unleashed, and apparently that was now a decade ago... wow I am old (some might say it was me remembering playing dark forces when it was new out on the PC, also PS1 a year later, but that it has been some 10 years since Force Unleashed says more to me).
were they ever relevant?
sure the n64 and gc had rogue squadron series that were highly praised for being technically impressive at the time, but other than those i don't recall a single star wars game that was goty material.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
were they ever relevant?
sure the n64 and gc had rogue squadron series that were highly praised for being technically impressive at the time, but other than those i don't recall a single star wars game that was goty material.
Knights of the Old Republic has something to say about that. :P

Reactions: DS1

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That game is pretty good but c'mon already, Disney!
Give us some more Star Wars action on the Switch. It's the only big franchise I'm really missing.
And still no one was able to port Jedi Academy to the Switch sadly. :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
were they ever relevant?
They were not always bleeding edge but they frequently pushed it, and if nothing else have provided some seriously solid games that it could be said to be a shame to have missed out on.

Notable games I would pick out.

The xwing vs tie fighter series is generally regarded as one of the better space combat sims ever.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series started out as an above average Doom clone (for technical feats it was among the first to do the looking up and down bit) and then morphed nicely into force powers in engines of the day.

SNES star wars is not my thing but you will find it on many lists.

Ditto Lego Star Wars, indeed while it might not have defined the gameplay concept as far as Lego goes it certain pushed it high.

You mentioned rogue squadron already.

While its memory has faded I will throw in Bounty Hunter. Same for pod racer on the N64 -- not my favourite game but you will get many throwing in.

If I am doing things for which memories have faded then Star Wars Chess. It was mainly chess with a star wars skin but it was actually a really solid version of chess (granted chessmaster was fairly solid so no worries there).

Knights of the Old Republic will definitely appear in "Bioware at their prime" lists, though the ports of 2 might have been a sign of things to come (if you do end up playing check the various "restoration" mods out there).

EA's hosing up of Star Wars Battlefront in recent years was not just people taking an excuse to be mad at EA or fanboying over Star Wars or battlefield (which it is essentially it was the Star Wars themed spin off from). The originals however did represent something of note in the multiplayer shooter arena, as did later entries in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise.

The Star Wars The Old Republic MMO was brought low by the whole Jedi thing, and a few other bonehead choices, but it probably had the most chance of anything of dethroning world of warcraft in its prime by what it did right. Also another entry in Bioware's fall from grace.

I mentioned Force Unleashed already and while it was somewhat short of the hype I ultimately enjoyed it quite a bit. I could pick higher points but as a "last good one" then that works for me, give or take whatever predictable lego efforts might have come out after the fact.

They will likely have aged terribly but some of the PS1 efforts (this would be sequel trilogy era) did quite nicely far film cash ins go. Arguably laid the path for what the PS2 Lord of the Rings titles (not the Final Fantasy clone) would end up becoming.

I frequently have massive issues with what this guy has to say but here he aligns more with what I might have to say.

I too am a bit too young to have appreciated Star Wars the first time around, mainly saw them because they were on TV once or twice but never thought much of them, and by the time the sequels hit then it was just another bad sci fi film. Games though. They represented something more for me. I don't know if the world at large would have lost out for lacking them (xwing-tie fighter aside) but my gaming history at least would have been less rich for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.