The first six Final Fantasy games are being re-released in Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster

Square Enix is re-releasing the first six classic Final Fantasy games. Rather than remaster them with new art-styles like they did in the mobile releases of the Final Fantasy games, this Pixel Remaster collection intends to keep the 2D pixel art that the games originally had, while still modernizing them. More information will be announced at a later date, but for now, Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster has been confirmed for PC and mobile devices.

LOS ANGELES (June 13, 2021) – During the SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS summer showcase, SQUARE ENIX® today announced that the six original FINAL FANTASY® titles that inspired a generation of RPG Fans are coming to life once more in the FINAL FANTASY pixel remaster series. Fans and newcomers are invited to dive into six masterpieces that bridge the ages with unique tales of epic adventure. The company will release the beloved titles individually, from FINAL FANTASY I through FINAL FANTASY VI, for Steam® and mobile platforms.

View the “FINAL FANTASY Pixel Remaster Series Teaser Trailer” at:

FINAL FANTASY I, FINAL FANTASY II, FINAL FANTASY III, FINAL FANTASY IV, FINAL FANTASY V, and FINAL FANTASY VI are not yet rated. More information to be revealed at a later date.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
why pc and mobile and not consoles? makes no sence lol.
Because SE has been out of touch with reality since 2010.

Is "pixel remaster" code for "we are too cheap to do what Capcom did with vector art for Street Fighter but want some of the acclaim"?

Yes.
I don't get SE nowadays.
I think they should just close shop.
They merly rechurn unfiltered Nostalgia nowadays.
(Others do to, but SE is 95% Nostalgia only nowadays)

And then they expect unrealistic sales numers with such feeble attempts.
Who do they think they are ? Nintendo ?

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well they'd be fucking dumb to make them "not as good" as any previous versions, given that the platforms they're releasing on have near perfect emulation available for the best versions released so far.
I'm fairly optimistic for these. They've implied that these new versions will be the best way to experience these titles, and if they're not... well, I still have a ton of other versions to choose from.

Shadicluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 6 just recently and am like half way through LOL. I'm hoping it shares enough DNA with the gba/mobile one for my save to work but I doubt that.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
6 games. With original pixelated graphics. In only one game. Square Enix must've been going mad lately.
I mean, apparently the people working there are having a bad time.

Last edited by SDA,

Shadicluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's weird that there hasn't been any kind of re-release of Crisis Core yet; I have no doubt that there's lots of money to be made. There are reportedly fan updates to improve it:
https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix...se-fans-are-making-an-hd-remaster-themselves/

Did the fan restoration efforts for those versions ever get anywhere? Or did people just give up?
Not necessarily a fan restoration, they just replaced sprites with the originals. The only one I tried was for VI, called Atma Weapon. Tiles and things are still no good.

382900_screenshots_20210225232326_1.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I 100% agree. I cannot believe that they are doing this, just some simple remasters of past games. You could just grab ISOs and an emulator, and voila.
Hell on a modded switch you COULD get all these. just play the nintendo/PSP versions

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I'm hoping they'll have graphics closer to what the GBA can produce than the SNES. Some nice, clean, colorful pixelart. Maybe at a slightly higher resolution than the SNES/GBA as well but I expect they won't do that as that would mean redrawing everything, they'll probably just add some more details like more colors and such. And remastered/remade soundtracks for 1-2 but still keeping them chiptuney (did the GBA versions have remastered/remade music? could use those if they are any good) but that is personal preference as I much prefer SNES (or even Game Boy) over NES when it comes to music, NES music just sounds a bit basic, at least without the extra audio channels from special chips. Could always have that as a toggle so people can still use the original NES soundtracks if they like.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
you can play them right now
Yep. Just pop FF III into a SNES, and you'll be shocked that it's really FF6! That's right, America got the same game TWICE! We got cheated out of the REAL FF III until the DS release.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Final Fantasy VI "Remaster" is probably the worst remaster I have ever seen in my life, after Android/iOS Transport Tycoon (gigantic piece of junk).

Shitty redrawn sprites + untouched backgrounds + awful "touch" menus + stupid 3D polygonal buildings in the world map + of course, static world map.

The art direction of this game is a joke.

Hope this Pixel thing fares better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: