The file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by merrildd, Jul 20, 2017.

1. merrildd
    OP

merrildd Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2017
    Canada
    Montreal
    Hello there.

I have installed Microsoft Word 2016 for openening doc format file which was e-mailed to me. But I get the following error, "The file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters."

What's wrong? How to open doc file?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    DOC is the old Microsoft Word format, since Office 2010 (2007 maybe?) DOCX is the new file format for Word. Are you sure it is a document file? Could it be damaged?

3. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    I don't know for sure, but you might be able to open it with Google Docs.

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You could try Libre Office.

5. bobbar

bobbar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne
    There are dozens of programs that can be installed on your computer to open Microsoft Office documents and other office or rich-text documents ( for example DOCX Open File Tool) Also you can try OpenOffice. It is available for all major platforms including Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, and Linux.
    Google Docs, available from Google.

6. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    There's no need to install other application to open DOC files if he/she already have MS Office Word, it can open and save files as DOC's...

The point here is that as it seem, the DOC file is damaged or is not a Word document compatible file, as the error message states.

By default (and in a totally nonsense way) Windows was created to refer to a documents extension to define and choose an application to try to open a file, just changing it's extension would render the file "unusable" for Windows at least. I suggest that you download a file recognizing tool such as the 'file' tool on Linux to identify the filetype of the document, so you can try to open it. I use somethimes 'trid' which does a decent job, not as great as the aforementioned tool on Linux, but better than letting windows decide what to do.