The Fight Against Piracy

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've read a lot about videogame piracy recently, especially since Ubisoft began implementing their incredibly draconian "online or bust" DRM on their newer PC games. Obviously a lot of gamers are complaining about it, and I started thinking about if there were better ways. Rather than being selfish and doing all the thinking myself, I thought I'd also ask the question to fellow Tempers...

How would you combat piracy?

Would you remove all DRM, lower prices, increase availability and rely on the goodness of mankind to prevail?

Would you identify offenders and then connect genitals across 10,000V to prove a point? And if so, how would you identify them? (The offenders, not the genitals)

Or do you have a better solution that sits somewhere in the middle?

MuppetInvasion

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
HAHAHAAHAHHAAHA

Lower prices?

Lets have a look at it, with reduced prices.
New copy of modern warfare 2: $40
New copy of modern warfare 2 obtained by piracy: $0

It doesnt matter how low the prices go, free is free. (Until you get to a point where you can pick up some random old game for like $10 AUS.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
simple force anyone that buys the game to register their copy or the game wont play eg. you put game into whatever handheld/console and the game will be like please enter the 10 digit code found in the box...

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
syko5150 said:
simple force anyone that buys the game to register their copy or the game wont play eg. you put game into whatever handheld/console and the game will be like please enter the 10 digit code found in the box...
There's an issue with mine and your idea, which is the same btw. What happens if that person loses their 10 digit code or they buy the game pre - owned?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nintendo is watching us! I won't post my good ideas here.
Just keep it as it is, it's hard enough already!
ph34r.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do away with Anti Piracy Laws and devices. It would take away the thrill and people would pirate less.

>.>

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Do what they done with batman in 1 part of the game you need to use your boomerang to hit something with a retail copy its fine with a burnt copy you cant throw it so you cant continue unless someone hacked it allready i dont know.
One guy even rang up and complained to the company saying his game wasnt working past this point the guy on the line simple said then buy the game

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
Do what they done with batman in 1 part of the game you need to use your boomerang to hit something with a retail copy its fine with a burnt copy you cant throw it so you cant continue unless someone hacked it allready i dont know.
One guy even rang up and complained to the company saying his game wasnt working past this point the guy on the line simple said then buy the game

That was done with Spirit Tracks.
Didn't work.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't stop piracy. I do understand what they are tying to do. They want to get through the first few weeks when most of the sales happen without haveing the game all over the place. The second thing is they want to make it too difficult to the average user. Like in the GBA days with you have to buy a $250 EZ-Flash III. They'll always be piracy and tey'll always try to stop it. One thing I don't understand is if I go to the maket and get caught stealing a game I get let off the hook with a slap on the wrist but if I get caught downloading a game I'll get fined out the ass. I think the penalty should fit the crime, for example you have to pay for the game you download. It's the attitude of these companies that makes me never ever buy a new game. Only used for me.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Remember that Hentai bricker for the DS? Include that, but it only plays if it detects a flashcart. Sure, it's not foolproof, but it would detract people, I'm sure.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny Tanner said:
Remember that Hentai bricker for the DS? Include that, but it only plays if it detects a flashcart. Sure, it's not foolproof, but it would detract people, I'm sure.
That still gives a M rating.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no point in reducing prices. i've said it before and will say it again. there are people who are just using "but games are too expensive" as an excuse. there will always be the pirates regardless of how cheap games are.

also reducing prices makes no sense to publishers. games retail at what? 50-60us? if they halve the price to 25-30, it would mean they'd need double the amount of sales just to make what they would at current prices. and i highly doubt there are enough people out there still willing to fill that gap.

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I KNOW HOW TO STOP NDS PIRACY

1. you must be a nintendo worker
2. make a random account on this website (or hack Toni Plutonij or some one)
3. claim you ported starfox 64 or something to the DS, with "proof videos"
4. include a link to the download file (make it be like 32 mb large with a .nds extension)
5. when everyone downloads and runs it, it turns out to be a NDS bricker.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
no point in reducing prices. i've said it before and will say it again. there are people who are just using "but games are too expensive" as an excuse. there will always be the pirates regardless of how cheap games are.

also reducing prices makes no sense to publishers. games retail at what? 50-60us? if they halve the price to 25-30, it would mean they'd need double the amount of sales just to make what they would at current prices. and i highly doubt there are enough people out there still willing to fill that gap.
NES games were anywhere from 40$-60$(50$ was average) in the 80's and if a game like The Legend of Zelda had really high demand then a lot of stores would raise the price to 70$ to as much as 100$ per game and people would pay that much for the games...

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But syko, not only was that a different time period, that analogy doesn't really make sense. 'X' number of gamers can only change so much. There aren't enough Non-gamer, non-pirates, that aren't buying because of price to fill the gap. Most people think that lowering the price of something still nets the same profit, but you have to sell A LOT more for that to be so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more