The fascination with Japan around here.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan is just another country but to most, it is the source of almost all the awesomeness in the world.
People usually outgrow that and accept it but those who don't probably have an unhealthy fixation.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xcalibur said:
Japan is just another country but to most, it is the source of almost all the awesomeness in the world.
People usually outgrow that and accept it but those who don't probably have an unhealthy fixation.
well it is a source of a lot of the awesomeness in the world, at least as far as entertainment and automobiles goes. However not all of it is as good as all that...

Oh and one of the reasons it is the suicide capital of the world is that it is still sort of honorable to commit ritual suicide (Seppuku). However it is't practiced nearly as much as it used to be obviously.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mewgia said:
Oh and one of the reasons it is the suicide capital of the world is that it is still sort of honorable to commit ritual suicide (Seppuku).

It's not considered honorable any more, just acceptable.

They have suicide hotlines, and websites, in Japan where you can get advice on killing yourself.

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't get it either, but I think I have a couple of friends who REALLY need to check out this topic.

They over-obsess with Japan, they treat Japan like it's some sort of superiority.

For me, I'd like to visit Japan, try out their food, especially Ramen (Altough it didn't came from the japanese) and enjoy the tourism.

starfox468

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Udon+Sushi=Life!
smile.gif

Akotan

Mathematical!
Trophies
Website
www.viciocriativo.com
XP
Country
Brazil
If it wasn't posted here, let me show you my japanese culture site links:

Pingmag (http://www.pingmag.jp)
TV in Japan (www.tvinjapan.com)
Japan Probe (www.japanprobe.com)

Check out the links section of these sites too!

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
Mewgia said:
Oh and one of the reasons it is the suicide capital of the world is that it is still sort of honorable to commit ritual suicide (Seppuku).

They have suicide hotlines, and websites, in Japan where you can get advice on killing yourself.
well that's why I said that it's sort of honorable, but it's still not like the rest of the world where committing suicide is frowned upon (not that you'd care if you had done it though)

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heh I used to have some strange obsession with Japan a few years ago. I somehow liked everything japanese...yeah man sick ;D Now I don't care if I see japanese stuff (thank god).

Now Japan Is just one of the three countries I want to go to in my lifetime. I want to learn stuff and see how the culture is.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
Mewgia said:

They really are a hardworking bunch too. SOme of them die while on the job because they work too much.
Like this security guard who stayed on his post for over 2 weeks.

In 2002 they were more than 68 of these cases.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fenthwick said:
Heh I used to have some strange obsession with Japan a few years ago. I somehow liked everything japanese...yeah man sick ;D Now I don't care if I see japanese stuff (thank god).

Now Japan Is just one of the three countries I want to go to in my lifetime. I want to learn stuff and see how the culture is.
Lol me too. I want to go to Japan for like the technology stuff they have, see all the awesome tuner cars, eat Japanese food everyday, and maybe even watch a bit of sumo.
tongue.gif
Plus, I did a research project on it and am learning Japanese in school so now I REALLY want to go.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had fascination for japan about 10-15 years ago. that was the expansion of video games (Nes and Snes era) and Japanese culture with anime broadcasted in France.
A lot of people in school were having fascination for japan too, because a lot of game never release in europe, so learning japanese was great idea (I still don't speak japanese).
After school I started working, and had a lot less time for video games. but Japan was still in mind.

Then, I got internet, and while playing online video-game PSO on dreamcast, I met some Japanese people, and one friend who invited me to come to his home at Tokyo when I said I liked to go there.

In 2002 I went to Tokyo, and we visited history museum, some touristic place like emperial garden, tokyo tower, Shinjuku tokyo office, etc.
I found a town not so crowded (maybe they were in summer holiday), very clean (nobody throwing junk, paper, nor dog's poop) compared to France street, and people very obedient in a way they are taught to care about others (let people get out of the train before wanting to rush in, walk on the right on the rolling strairs to let people go faster on the left if they want). Here in my country, all is full of disorderedness.
A thing I disliked was the food. not all of them, there were good things too, but I usually didn't love the taste.

It was 10 short days (time flies).
It was a good experience to visit another country as I barely travel outside France (which have a lot of different places, cultures and history already. France is not only Paris
lecture.gif
).

But I felt it was not my decision to go to japan, only a way to say to other people who whined about japan :
- hey, look, I did it ! it was not hard at all, why everybody keep complaining about going there ? just go to a travel agency and you're done. very simple. stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Now don't misunderstand, it was a good experience. Sometime I understood some Japanese speaking, and wished I could understand a lot more.
I still like the Japanese culture, and hope to go to japan again, but not for the same reasons.

I'm not aiming Tokyo again. A rural town with cultural history or a travel tour with a guide to explain things is more appealing. Touristic instead of fanatic
wink.gif

Some days ago, Tamyu (who is not writing a lot here these day) said the same thing about people having fascination for Japan and thinking everything were the same everywhere. She explained things well, viewed by someone living in japan. (read the comments too).
PS for Tamyu: I hope it's ok to link it here.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
A little liking for Japan for being an advanced country, or having lotsa games and anime is OK, but taking it overboard, that's not
smile.gif

I want to go to Japan some day though, I bet the difference between Egypt and it would be huge
tongue.gif

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
anime sux japan sux videogames sux
i'd rather rocket myself to uranus than go to japan land of weeabos, rapists, xenophobes and sickos.
edit: everything about japan is wrong. it's just wrong perverted country of hardworking yellow people. they don't need stupid
weeabos there who think it's like some zany alive cartoon land where is big boobed hentai babes. lol. honestly i wanna visit
japan but i think i'll stay away from weeabo traps. i'll go some cool clubs which are open 24/7 listen some dubtechno/breakcore/
dubstep and smoke some cool stuff with some cool guys.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rest0re said:
anime sux japan sux videogames sux
i'd rather rocket myself to uranus than go to japan land of weeabos, rapists, xenophobes and sickos.
edit: everything about japan is wrong. it's just wrong perverted country of hardworking yellow people. they don't need stupid
weeabos there who think it's like some zany alive cartoon land where is big boobed hentai babes. lol. honestly i wanna visit
japan but i think i'll stay away from weeabo traps. i'll go some cool clubs which are open 24/7 listen some dubtechno/breakcore/
dubstep and smoke some cool stuff with some cool guys.
wat

Could you please retype that in sensible english? I think that one of the things you said in there is that video games suck, which is an odd thing to say on a video game forum, and that UJapan sucks because of all the weeaboos there, which is odd because weeaboos are white people who are obsessed with japan and think it's superspecialawesome, and 99% of them have never been to Japan.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As with any grouping of people, there are good things and there are bad. You reach a kind equilibrium when you learn enough about a specific culture.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Mewgia said:
rest0re said:
inane supposed-to-be-ironic-but-fail rant
wat

Could you please retype that in sensible english? I think that one of the things you said in there is that video games suck, which is an odd thing to say on a video game forum, and that UJapan sucks because of all the weeaboos there, which is odd because weeaboos are white people who are obsessed with japan and think it's superspecialawesome, and 99% of them have never been to Japan.
I pity the fool who doesn't recognize a troll.
wink.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
veho said:
Mewgia said:
rest0re said:
inane supposed-to-be-ironic-but-fail rant
wat

I pity the fool who doesn't recognize a troll.
wink.gif

MrT2.gif

I DO! I DO!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr