The Extremely Easy Softmodding guide

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chrisman01, Jul 12, 2009.

Jul 12, 2009
  1. chrisman01
    OP

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I went through a lot of trouble softmodding my wii, so once I finished I decided to make this guide to help others that may be in the position I was. My biggest problem was I couldn't find guides that were specific enough, or that I had to research multiple subjects just to learn one thing.

Yeah, I had NO IDEA what I was doing when I started. Now I know exactly what I did right and wrong, and I wrote this guide to help others. ...to show them the RIGHT way, of course [​IMG]

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Install homebrew channel using this guide: http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=155844

This guide is based on using a 4.0U Wii.

Alright, dudes and the occasional dudette, this may look intimidating at first, but it's actually EXTREMELY easy.

STEP 1

Find these following files:
    -cIOS36 rev8 installer (I couldn't get rev13b to work for some reason, but this one did. Use rev13b if your wii is LU64+)
    -cMIOS rev3 Installer
    -NeoGamma R6 (if your want to launch wii backups. Also boots GC backups, but in my experience not as well as GBL 0.2)
    -Gamecube Backup launcher 0.2 (if you want to launch gamecube backups)
    -Trucha Bug Restorer
    -NUS downloader (optional- You could download the IOSs using the NUS mode in the trucha bug restorer, but my
    network sucks and I kept getting network errors. This way you can avoid network errors.)

Copy all of the files EXCEPT NUSD into the "apps" folder on your SD card, then use NUSD to get the IOSs described in the "how to use: trucha bug restorer" guide. copy all of the ".wad" files to the SD card without putting them in any folder. Now pop that card in your Wii!

STEP 2
    Start the Wii and go to the homebrew channel. Start it, then go to "Trucha Bug Restorer" and launch it!

STEP 3
    Once the app starts, press left on the d-pad until IOS15 is highlited. Press A, then don't touch anything. DON'T LET THE DISCLAIMER SCARE YOU! Press 1 when it tells you to.

STEP 4
    scroll down to "downgrade IOS15". Press A when it says something about loading the .wad from the sd card. It'll ask twice. Once it's done, you'll have to restart the wii.

STEP 5
    Go back to the Trucha Bug Restorer, select IOS15 again, press 1 when it prompts you, and install IOS36. Same as last time, just keep pressing A, because all of the .wad's you need are on the SD card.

STEP 6
    For the last time with the restorer, restart your Wii, go to trucha bug restorer, select IOS15, press 1 after a while, and this time RESTORE IOS15.

STEP 7
    Go to the homebrew channel and select the app that has cIOS36 rev8 in its title. run it, and install cIOS36 using network installation. Once it's finished it will want to restart the wii. Do it. NOTE: during intallation, you may get some errors. These are most likely just network errors. Just restart again and keep trying to install from the netwrok, and eventually it will work.

STEP 8
    Return to the homebrew channel, and select the app with cMIOS rev3 in its title. Install it from the network. The NOTE in the previous step may apply here too.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

YOUR WII IS NOW MODDED!!

To get backups:

On your PC install ImgBurn (google it; I can't remember their site [​IMG] ). This will allow you to burn gamecube and wii .iso's onto DVDs. I HIGHLY reccomend using single layer DVD-Rs.

If you use DVD+Rs like I did, there's a chance you'll have to find hacked firmware for your burner to change the booktype to DVD-ROM. I did [​IMG]

------------------------

If I left something out, or if I wasn't clear enough, reply and tell me. I tried my best to include everything here that I couldn't easily find when modding my own Wii.

If there's already a guide that explains ALL of this, then I'm sorry. I never found it, and it took me 5 days to find all of the files I needed and to learn exactly what to do.

And with that, I bid you good night! [​IMG]

2. GizmoDVD

Newcomer GizmoDVD Member

United States
    Will it work on Firmware 4.0?

3. nknave

Member nknave GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    So, let me get this clear....

It doesn't matter if the current IOS15v266 installed in the Wii is Fixed to NOT allow Trucha Bug to work.

You can still downgrade IOS15??? And if that's the case, what happens to LU64 Machines.
    And, what about choosing IOS36 (Nintendo Patched) to downgrade IOS15?

I'm sorry, I'm using TBR from cBoot2 to just install IOS36 and get it over with, am I missing something here?

Thanks.

4. Bloodlust

Member Bloodlust GBAtemp Maniac

Hong Kong
    STEP 7
    Go to the homebrew channel and select the app that has cIOS36 rev8 in its title. run it, and install cIOS36 using network installation. Once it's finished it will want to restart the wii. Do it. NOTE: during intallation, you may get some errors. These are most likely just network errors. Just restart again and keep trying to install from the netwrok, and eventually it will work.

Why rev8? When newer loaders require at least rev10? And you should state that for LU64 machines only rev13 is recommended.

5. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Yeah. Your guide seems to be geared toward running older games via DVD backup. Most people today are using a cIOS much more current, and are using WBFS hard drives to load games. Just because what you did "worked" does not necessarily mean it is the best way to do things. Beside that, the guide is starting with the assumption that the HBC is already installed.

6. wiimanizer

Member wiimanizer GBAtemp Fan

United States
    can you also include an "Extremely Easy Softmodding Guide" for USB related things, such as loading wiiwares/vc and wii .isos off flash drives/ext hdd? ive been having trouble following the other guides too myself =_= (boohoo)

7. PoorMan09

Newcomer PoorMan09 Newbie

United States
    This Is Not Extremely Easy SoftMod Guide... Newbie will GET LOST with this one.. Nice Effort But I don't Agree here... More Revise is Needed... Just my 2 cent

8. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Uhm, if they don't have the HBC installed, they'll have to use hackmii installer.
    1. Left out safety nets(bootmii)
    2. Quite hard to follow actually for a total noob
    3. Nice try.

9. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    good attempt at a guide, but missing some key information such as how to install the homebrew channel using bannerbomb, there should be at least a mention of installing bootmii as boot2 and taking a nand backup before anything else incase things go wrong, should use a newer cios (either 10 or 13a/b) and should tell users which ios's to download using NUSD, or at least link to the "how to use: trucha bug restorer" guide you mentioned.

[edit]

and what are:
    -NeoGamma R6
    -Gamecube Backup launcher 0.2

i know what they are personally, but for someone who has never softmodded their wii before, and are reading this guide, you've effectively told them to download something you dont even mention in your guide as to what it is or how to use it.

10. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Actually rev9 suffices for USB loaders.

11. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Any loader based off of 1.5 requires Rev10 from what I remember.

12. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    But for people with LU64+ wiis they need CIOS 12+

13. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Maybe somebody can write The Extremely Easy guide to writing Extremely Easy Softmodding guides for this guy. This thing is not good at all. It will work on some Wiis for some things. I say it will not work for 75% of what people following it will be trying to do.

14. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Why do you need the gamecube backup loader if you can load gamecube backups with cmios+neogamma?

15. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    And if i'm not wrong , if your wii has internet access , no need to use NUSD and get wads to install them manually.
    TBR can do it automatically.
    This should have been mentioned.

but correct me if i'm wrong.

16. chrisman01
    OP

United States
    for some reason rev13b didn't work for me at all, so I used cIOS36 rev8

Yeah, I should mention that tthis is only for if you already have the homebrew channel... I'll fix that.

I booted F-Zero GX through NeoGamma, and the sound lagged HORRIBLY. GC backup launcher 0.2 works so much better it's not even funny [​IMG]

This was my first guide at anything, so at least I tried my best [​IMG]

17. chrisman01
    OP

United States
    GUIDE HAS BEEN EDITED AND REVISED.

Sorry it took so long to edit; my computer locked up and crashed AGAIN, right in the middle of editing this morning (look at my sig... you can guess why it crashed [​IMG] ).

-----

I did this all on a 4.0u wii that was updated using the official nintendo version. Everything works fine!

Again, this is my first attempt at a guide. tell me if I left out anything else or need to be more specific.

[​IMG]