The extent of backward compatibility

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ArugulaZ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Well, official backward compatibility has ended for the Xbox One. What I'm wondering is this... how much farther could the service have gone if Microsoft had continued to support it? Was the emulator in the Xbox One capable of running the entire Xbox 360 library, or did it have to be tailored specifically for each game it ran? Is there any way to know for sure how capable the emulator was?

I'm just wondering what the Xbox One will be able to do once it's hacked, which apparently hasn't happened yet, but most likely will in a few years once Microsoft moves on to its successor. I do know that the Playstation 3 is capable of running more Playstation 2 games than are currently available in the Playstation Store.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't think the XBox One is powerful enough to run a proper (compatibility optimized) 360 emulator at full speed, they probably had to use a lot of game specific hacks to make it work.

3. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    There is an interesting article explaining how backward compatibility works.

"the original Xbox 360 PowerPC executables are reverse-engineered into an intermediate, then recompiled into x86. ... "We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we're running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...x-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

When you put an original xbox 360 disk on the xbox one it seems to use it only as a key to download the recompiled game from Microsoft servers. You cannot play (for the first time) a 360 game on xbox one if you are not connected online. This is not mentioned on official xbox help sites.

So it's not a real "emulator" and even a full hacking on the xbox one won't help.

DinohScene likes this.
  4. Lemmingscanfly

Lemmingscanfly Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Mount Olympus
    What about the OG Xbox titles?

5. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    Original Xbox on Xbox one are the same, plus, in some cases, they also have hi-res graphics assets for better video quality on Xbox one X. How does work original xbox emulation on 360 I have no idea. The 360 isn't powerful enough to emulate the bare hardware so they probably went with an interpreter that emulate system calls with some tweaking for specified games. This would explain why the emulator can support more titles besides the ones officially included.

DinohScene likes this.
  6. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    Does that mean that backwards compatibility is just gonna get patched out? If so, that's REALLY assy.

7. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    No it just means that they aren't making any more old Xbox 360 games compatible. The ones that worked before will continue to work.

8. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    Ah, just annoying, not despicable, then. I was a bit worried, that’s how I play Halo: Reach after selling my 360!

9. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I would pay for ToeJam & Earl 3 (original Xbox) but I guess that's not going to happen.

10. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    There goes my hopes of playing JSRF on my xbox one one day

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  11. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Might not help you but it works on Xbox 360.

12. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    I know, but I wanted to play it on my xbox one because I bought it recently and it's my very first owned xbox, and I don't want to buy an xbox 360 just for JSRF :|

13. TACO0821

TACO0821 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    They're no longer adding BC titles on xbox one and only exclusively to Scarlett from now on and wanted to focus on BC for all three gens on the new console, they plan to get all BC games and Xbox one games 100% compatible so it will likely be awhile before they even start adding new titles once scarlett comes out

Last edited by TACO0821, Jun 21, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted