1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Yeah got confused sorry.

2. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

@FAST6191
    I thought I'd ask you considering your extensive knowledge on the subject.
    Can you tell me about how the saving works on the Everdrive GBA compared to the EZ Flash Omega?

I know with the Omega, I need to save the game and then wait about 5 seconds for it to write to the mSD card. Am I right in assuming that the saving is instant with the Everdrive?
    And are the various different save types all supported on both flash carts?

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Not sure offhand what the everdrive does but I know they both work effectively the same way and emulate the original save rather than patching the ROM to behave as a given type of SRAM, which is what all other GBA flash carts (even the EZ4's more recent drag and drop functionality) do. What delay the everdrive has been grabbing the save and transferring it to the cart I don't know.

As far as I am aware all the save types are supported, each minor type does feature a fairly popular game so I would imagine we would have heard about it if it was a problem. One of the really weird invented save types for some kind of unlicensed hardware might be troubled but with the really weird stuff there that is usually the least of your troubles.

4. Rune

Its just that I read people instructing us to wait a few seconds for the Omega to write the save to mSD before powering off. The same isnt advised with the Everdrive, which is what led me to believe the saving on that might be instant, unlike the Omega.

5. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

United States
    Dang, here's hoping these make it onto StoneAgeGamer sooner than later. Tried three times to order one off the site Krikzz linked on twitter but couldn't process the payment successfully. My cards must not like being used there for whatever reason... :/

6. otenko

otenko Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    The current save file stays on the Everdrive memory and it is only copied to the MicroSD card when you load a different rom. You can even play without a microSD card if you a have a rom loaded to the Everdrive. It's pretty neat, but I already read people complaining of the save file being overwritten.

Power5lave likes this.
  7. Rune

So with the Everdrive, can you not just power off your GBA instantly after saving in game?
    Or is there something I need to do every time like the EZ Flash Omega where I need to wait a few seconds for it to write to the mSD?

otenko likes this.
  8. otenko

otenko Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    You can turn off instantly after saving in game, because the save file is stored on the Everdrive own memory. It doesn't have any delays. Your current savefile will only be backed to the microSD when you load a new diferent game rom.

Power5lave likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks for this writeup! Even though it's a little bit off topic :)

10. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Fan

United States
    whats the cheapest most economical but decent flashcard solution for GBA? do I have to resort to aliexpress?

11. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

United States
    Probably an EZ-Flash Reform (just a re-released IV) or Omega if you are concerned the MOST about price. Omega is neat but as others have mentioned it uses a lot more power than other carts and can be funny with saves if you don't wait after saving your game for a sec or two.

12. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Fan

United States
    is N3DS (the non XL) with IPS screen and holding start to preserve original aspect ratio a decent option? What are the true benefits of GBA hardware (be it IPS v2 or a 101 screen on SP or regular)

should be playing natively not emulating like how Wii U can play GC natively just doesn't support the physical media.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - EverDrive, available, order