1. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    What an ignorant way to put it.

You see, there are some games that are considered "gifts that keep on giving". You pay for what you can expect and get even more later on without asking for it.

Then there's the abominations that this new label is made for. Those are charges that keep on charging. There's only a limited amount of financial value that should be charged for a certain feature or asset in a game. And most of those games clearly overshoot that value.

Elements in games don't have a steady real world price assigned to them, because they are digital and therefore not used up when bought. But if one game gives you a certain asset for free and the other one wants you to pay to spin a wheel to potentially get it, I really wish you could regulate those prices somehow.

That being said it's not like people aren't allowed to buy crap like this, but at least they should be informed that indeed it is crap, which is not the best solution to this problem, but at least it is one.

Deleted User likes this.
  2. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Basically, ESRB did nothing.

If ESRB actually care, they should give AO rating to any games that have loot boxes which can be purchase directly or indirectly (ie. buy premium currency to buy loot boxes) with real money, or just ban loot boxes all together.

3. Essasetic

Essasetic General Spectator

United Kingdom
    I get what they're trying to do. But games that include lootboxes shouldn't be made available to children in the first place. Simple as that.

Also, couldn't companies like EA & Activision find a loophole around this (like patching them in after a month or so after release)?

Deleted User and DarkCoffe64 like this.
  4. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
    Former Staff

United States
    Wouldn't most games have this label? Wouldn't season pass, virtual coins, costumes, dlc, etc, all count as in game purchases? If every game has the label, what's the point?

DarkCoffe64 likes this.
  5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Thank god the world is saved, the ESRB shoulders all of our hopes and dreams

rofl

Loot boxes are whatever. You either buy them or you don't. As long as they're cosmetic they don't remotely matter. Time for people to grow up and realize we're responsible for our own actions and don't need to be coddled, it's our fault not anyone elses if we fall for clear gambling. Or parents fault for giving their child money for a videogame.

Idiots crying waah it's predatory, welcome to literally all of marketing. That's the fucking point. Companies spend billions to know how your brain works better than you do.
    The new strat companies are adopting are revolving storefronts with timed exclusive items at absurd prices because they know kids will beg and plead for those items cuz they're so rare and cool and won't ever come back. Same shit, different pile. Only this time, there's no technicality you can hit them on so it's even worse. It's just a storefront as far as the law cares.

Last edited by Hells Malice, Apr 13, 2020
  6. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Seriously hope this Feature in Games get BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The ESRB is an industry board, not any kind of official or governmental board (which gets tricky in the US with that first amendment lark). They fall under the ESA which is just a big lobby group really for the big publishers and developers in games.
    Such things are traditionally established so industries can ward off governmental censorship by creating their own censorship. Governments don't have to fund a new department, don't have to crack down on an industry but can also go back to their constituents (only old people vote and all that) saying the scary thing our bought and paid for news coverage says is scary have agreed to tone it down and let you know to "make an informed consumer decision".

They also get to define their own terms so they can handwave utter bollocks like the parents just don't understand the term and pretend they are doing something. It is functionally no different to the sugar industries protesting that they would be required to say how many spoons of sugar is in their product rather than grams or whatever that few people have a mental concept for.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

are ya gamblin' son?

MrCokeacola likes this.
  9. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I know all those. My point is the new label does nothing as it doesn't tell us much on what the label means. Not everyone is well informed or bother doing research in terms on in-game purchase such as loot boxes when they buying games. Maybe in an ideal world.

At least with AO rating, this would give buyers a reason to be wary of what they are getting into. And if they are interested into buying a game, they can do research before deciding if it's worth the purchase.

Of course, I would much rather not see loot boxes in any games outside of mobile. They can stay there.

10. Uiaad

Uiaad GBAtemp's resident guinea pig

United Kingdom
    i've said it before and no doubt i'll say it again, this isn't enough

11. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Let's ban smoking first

medoli900 and Sono like this.
  12. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    [Upcoming games will soon feature a label on the back of their boxes]

But a lot of games don't come in boxes anymore.

Sono likes this.
  13. Uiaad

Uiaad GBAtemp's resident guinea pig

United Kingdom
    Or they will pull a crash team racing and add microtransactions well after launch

DarkCoffe64 likes this.
  14. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    That label is as useless as it can be smh...

15. teamlocust

teamlocust GBAtemp Regular

India
  16. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Vague and tiny.
    No this kind of junk needs at least its own icon next to the age rating and should effect the age rating.
    I mean its pretty clear they are still trying to hide it.

17. CPG

CPG haggis!

Canada
    I would've just have it say "lol fuck ea" instead of that basic bullcrap.

and yes I know they have to make it that.

18. julianuf

julianuf Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Agreed 100%. This is not enough, and doesn't actually accomplish anything.

19. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Vietnam
    So slot machine is a random money ATM?

20. pthfdr

pthfdr GBAtemp Regular

China
    In my opinion, there should only be 3 ratings: T, M, and AO. People under 13 should not play video games at all-especially with the nature of recent so-called "games".
    Disclaimer: I am 22 and am not a parent.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - feature, rating, label