The inadequate, autocratic beast!
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
0XPpki0.jpg

Multiple sources are now citating now that Nintendo have ended the production of New 3DS in Japan.
Is it just that the New 3DS isn't selling well anymore since 2DS XL was introduced?

It's possible that Nintendo is beginning to phase out the standard New 3DS model in favor of a three-option system incorporating the 2DS, New 2DS XL, and New 3DS XL.

Does this mean that the New 3DS series is soon reaches it's EOL? Is this the EOL of the Nintendo 3DS even when Nintendo say they would keep supporting it.

Is it time to speculate that they will slowly halt the production of the rest of the series as well?

Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh Sweet Lucifer, YES! Hopefully we will start seeing less "STABILITY!" And the homebrew scene can actually stop scrabbling every couple of weeks and get some work done again. Maybe see some new projects again~

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Title is misleading. It's only been reported production has ended in Japan, and the title should reflect that.
Well, regardless this is the beginning of the end for the 3DS era as it's coming to its final years now. The 3DS started out with a clunky momentum but Nintendo revamped it and made it the one to go gaming handheld which the Vita didn't even have a chance to fight back (it didn't help Sony gave up on it).

Maybe after the 3DS is officially discontinued maybe we'll see a "Switch Mini".

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, regardless this is the beginning of the end for the 3DS era as it's coming to its final years now. The 3DS started out with a clunky momentum but Nintendo revamped it and made it the one to go gaming handheld which the Vita didn't even have a chance to fight back (it didn't help Sony gave up on it).

Maybe after the 3DS is officially discontinued maybe we'll see a "Switch Mini".
I mean, New 3DS has stopped production in Europe now as well so lol. It's a shame, the small N3DS always had a place in my heart. And it's also a real shame about the Vita. Sony's lack of enthusiasm to back it really did kill it.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Reactions: Scarlet
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Wowe, already? I'll just leave this here....

The guy makes really good points but Nintendo has discontinued the New 3DS so the 3DS generation is coming to an end. We'll perhaps see another 1-2 years more before Nintendo bids farewell.

Of course, that doesn't mean third party publishers won't release games for it they probably will (like the WiiU is still getting retail games and eShop -- some VC by Nintendo but no retail ones anymore), just not Nintendo.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't this just mean the standard size N3DS? The XL version should still be being manufactured.

Still, glad I picked one up when I did. Might not have done if I didn't have the urge to try out Majora's Mask. I like the standard size version even though I have massive hands.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't this just mean the standard size N3DS? The XL version should still be being manufactured

I thought the samething. I thought the new 2ds was just replacing the new 3ds. I know the new 3ds has stopped production for the USA months ago. I assume however late next year, the new 2ds will become the only model for a short time.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's just the small New 3DS, which hasn't sold as well as the New 3DS XL, that's the only reason they're stopping the manufacturing.

People sure love exaggerating, one model is ceasing production and another new one is being manufactured, I don't see how that's such a surprise or "the end of the 3DS".

Reactions: V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, just 1 version of their current handheld family is done. Namely, the tiny af version. Good riddance lil turd.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

So, just 1 version of their current handheld family is done. Namely, the tiny af version. Good riddance lil turd.
So essentially what's left is the New 3DS XL and New 2DS XL. The 3DS is on its way out.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep best to just get a 2DS XL and forget about gimmick 3d...and wait for nintendo VR gimmick :creep:

On that we can agree, I can't even see 3D thanks to a visual anomaly in my left eye (long story), but didn't want that hideous 2DS. The XL model of the 2DS is what it should've been.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your lucky that fucking thing used to give me so many headaches. and after using it the text on the computer/internet was all weird and 3d for at least an hour after. it's fucking dangerous to your eyes!

Yeah, actually, I've never been able to see 3D effects my entire life, so that killed my desire to keep a 3DS for long, I tried, and I tried, but to no avail. I may not even get the 2DS XL, I just don't feel the hype.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple