Gaming The end of new pixelated sprite games?

Do you want to see pixelated 2D games in the future?

• Yes, 2D will never die!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm sick of pixelated games.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I love about the DS is that games with pixel art are more frequently made, beautiful games like Contra, Castlevania and Yoshi's Island really takes advantage of what's considered the DS disadvantage, the screen resolution.

On the home consoles we have games like Capcom's Mega Man 9 10 and Konami's Castlevania harmony of despair and ReBirth series.
Except for a few gems like these every once in a while I don't expect many ''traditional'' looking games in the future.

Now with the more powerful 3DS coming do you think game developers still will do games like before?
Or is pixel art a dead art in gaming?

Contra3Wallpaper--article_image.jpg

Bye bye friend, I'll miss your generation...

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
The resolution is not THAT much higher. We're talking transition from 256x192 to 320x240 (+ 40 pixels on both sides). There was a lot of great pixel-graphics on Amiga (320x256), for instance.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eerpow said:
Now with the more powerful 3DS coming do you think game developers still will do games like before?
I hope sooo... I grow up with 2D sprite games!!

Graphics aside, the gameplay is what worries me a lot. Take The Legend Of Zelda as an example:
Ultil this point we always got: the 3D game for the home console (following Ocarina Of Time) and the over-head view games for the handheld (following A Link To The Past).
But now... Ocarinta Of Time is ported to the 3DS so its logical to think that the next portable game on the Zelda franchise will be 3D.

So.... forget about a new over-head view Zelda game.
angry.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see this happening.

Pixels are what made gaming great, and are what keep gaming great. Nintendo knows this, and I see them releasing a lot of 3DSWare with pixelated graphics.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:

Pixels are what made gaming great, and are what keep gaming great. Nintendo knows this, and I see them releasing a lot of 3DSWare with pixelated graphics.
I wouldn't say that tiny colored dots are the greatest part of gaming.

There's no doubt in my mind that the 3DS will have more 3D games than its predecessor. I'm sure it will have 2D games still, and probably still sprite games as well, as handhelds are generally the preferred platform for games using that type of graphics engine today. The number will likely be lower, but I'm sure sprite-based games will stille exist on the 3DS.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PeregrinFig said:
_Chaz_ said:

Maybe not the best part, but I would say that they are one of the best.
Of course, this is only my opinion.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
PeregrinFig said:
_Chaz_ said:

There's no doubt in my mind that the 3DS will have more 3D games than its predecessor. I'm sure it will have 2D games still, and probably still sprite games as well, as handhelds are generally the preferred platform for games using that type of graphics engine today. The number will likely be lower, but I'm sure sprite-based games will stille exist on the 3DS.
I agree with everything here except what I bolded.

I'll give Perrigrin's post a B+ and Chaz's an A.
smile.gif

grog.gif
grog.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see 2D games turning to 2D looks like BlazBlue and Rayman: Origins. Which doesn't seem bad since I think both games look really good, graphics wise.

Odds are pixel art and games that use pixel art will still live in indie titles and homebrew. I'm not sure if many devs will consider picking them up as they appear to a niche group of people but with digital distribution becoming so big nowadays, I can definitely see smaller titles making use of it.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
pachura said:
The resolution is not THAT much higher. We're talking transition from 256x192 to 320x240 (+ 40 pixels on both sides). There was a lot of great pixel-graphics on Amiga (320x256), for instance.

Well, I don't think the 3DS will use it's bottom screen for the main game play, the upper screens res is higher.
But it isn't just about resolution, it's about other graphical capabilities too.
The DS have lower resolution screens than the NES but it can still play games like Metroid Prime.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love pixels. It's for this reason why I prefer playing games on my old iPod touch 2g rather than on an iPhone 4.
Retina display is a sacrilege to gaming everywhere.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Eerpow said:
Well, I don't think the 3DS will use it's bottom screen for the main game play, the upper screens res is higher.
To be precise, both screens have identical pixels sizes and identical pixel density.
The top screen is just wider (that's why I've written 320x240 + 40 pixels on both sides).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment