Hacking The different WiiU game's formats, and how to convert them

Maxx0911

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Someone needs to instruct me, i cant figure out how to use wud2app. I got the game in wud format, open_cmd.bat, wud2app.exe and the common key and game key in text form. what do i do now?

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone needs to instruct me, i cant figure out how to use wud2app. I got the game in wud format, open_cmd.bat, wud2app.exe and the common key and game key in text form. what do i do now?

Before doing this, make sure you have the correct common key. It should start with D7B. (I obviously can't provide the entire key. That would be... problematic. ;))

There is a trick to using those keys. Wud2app does not work directly with keys in text form. They need to be in raw data. You can do that pretty easily with a hex editor. Use an online hex editor like https://hexed.it/. In the online hex editor, choose "new file". Now, copy your key in text form. Don't paste yet. In the online hex editor, click on the blank area that has a small "+" symbol on it right next to the 00000000. Press control + v to paste. A window will pop up. The window will have a drop down box that says "binary data/text". Change it to "hexadecimal values". Now press apply. Your key is now in the proper format, so press "export" to save your key file.

Do the same for both your common key and your game key, and you will be good to go! :yayu:

Reactions: soulbwoy

Charix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to CreeperMario for the chart.
I wanted to do this in a "current hacking situation" guide, but I post it here for the moment.

357460-wiiu_format01_small.jpg
Legend:
  • Blue boxes represent external storage locations, such as read-only discs and the console's storage.
  • Red boxes represent files that exist in your computer/SD card
  • Green boxes represent tools.

There are 3 origin (disc, eshop, or console)
and there are 3 format (wud, encrypted or decrypted)

Each format can be converted to another (except wud, it can't be generated back from encrypted content).

What you want for loadiine is the decrypted content, the files and folders format.
If you already have the Encrypted content, you can use a program to decrypt them.
I recommend Cdecrypt (command line windows) or JNUStool (Java), you will have to provide the encrypted title key to decrypt your encrypted content and the common key too (to decrypt the encrypted title key).

pick one of the tool you want here :

Disc dumper :
- Private device (WiikeyU?)
wudump
Disc2app dumps Disc and extract to encrypted content file format directly to SD or USB!​

WUD compressors :

Wud decrypters / Disc extractors : (Requires disc key + common key)

WUD decrypter+Content decrypter (Requires disc key [+ common key])

Content decrypters (Requires title key [+ common key])
Cdecrypt (I didn't find the official v0.1 release url, website is offline, so I linked to v0.2)
JNUSTool

content encrypters (Requires common key)

NUS downloaders (Requires game's titleID [+ game's ticket])
NUSGrabber (no ticket used or generated)
JNUSTool (no ticket used or generated)
UWizard (no ticket used or generated)
uTiksDownloadHelper (use provided ticket to get NUS data)
WiiU USB Helper (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided)
FunkiiU (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided)
I probably forgot few of them here...​

NUS downloader+Content decrypter (Requires game's titleID + titleKey + common key)

Package installers:
WUP Installer (original from Crediar, not HBL compatible)
WUP Installer (HBL Version, from dimok), y mod, benoit934 mod, etc. (look on github for all the mods)
WUP Installer GX2​

File dumpers
1) - For loadiine only:
dumpiine (Launched game rpx and rpl only)
Loadiine xml dumper (launched game incomplete cos.xml and app.xml, for loadiine only)
ddd (Launched Game virtual link to Code, content and meta folder)

These tools can only dump incomplete code folder (.rpx .rpl app.xml cos.xml) from the RAM which can result in some issues.
Additionally, ddd is dumping an incomplete virtual folder provided by the console which is a merged of both game+updates together, producing a bad dump of a game which can't be repacked to encrypted format.
In most cases the dumped files are fine for e.g. loadiine or Cemu, but when you try to repack them into encrypted NUS Files, they won't work on console.
The .xml's are incomplete (for example the complete permission section in the cos.xml is missing) and unloaded rpl's are NOT dumped at all (the preload.txt isn't dumped either). A NUS downloader can be used instead to get and decrypt the complete and original files which can be repacked.
2) - individual file dumpers:
Saviine Backup/restore the launched game's savegame only. requires a computer's server running at the same time.
SaveMii Backup/restore multiple savegames slots directly from the console (no server side required). Requires Mocha CFW. Savemii mod may works with CBHC.​
3) - Full NAND Access:
WUP Server/Client
FSDumper
FT2SD
ftpiiU_everywhere

File writers:
WUP Server/Client
ftpiiU_everywhere
Just so you know, you might want to remove Wii U USB helper from that list since it's been discontinued.

Also is one of the two tools for compressing wuds better than the other? Just curious if there's any difference between the two. Same with disc extractors, any difference between them?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think I need to remove it. at best, just note that it's discontinued, but keep it for historical reference.

as for tools differences, they often don't have any differences except the GUI, or design.
One might be a windows command line tool, while the other is a Java (multi-plateform) or Python (multi-plateform) tools.
Some might need more data than others (like common key in text, or binary external file, or not needed at all)
Read each program's requirements and Pick the one you prefer.

Last edited by Cyan,

doveman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How do I transfer decrypted files to a Wii U formatted USB HDD? I thought I might be able to use the FTP app to transfer them directly from my PC but that only seems to provide access to the SD card.

soulbwoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before doing this, make sure you have the correct common key. It should start with D7B. (I obviously can't provide the entire key. That would be... problematic. ;))

There is a trick to using those keys. Wud2app does not work directly with keys in text form. They need to be in raw data. You can do that pretty easily with a hex editor. Use an online hex editor like ****** In the online hex editor, choose "new file". Now, copy your key in text form. Don't paste yet. In the online hex editor, click on the blank area that has a small "+" symbol on it right next to the 00000000. Press control + v to paste. A window will pop up. The window will have a drop down box that says "binary data text". Change it to "hexadecimal values". Now press apply. Your key is now in the proper format, so press "export" to save your key file.

Do the same for both your common key and your game key, and you will be good to go! :yayu:

Thank you so much for this! :bow::bow:

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks to CreeperMario for the chart.
I wanted to do this in a "current hacking situation" guide, but I post it here for the moment.

357460-wiiu_format01_small.jpg
Legend:
  • Blue boxes represent external storage locations, such as read-only discs and the console's storage.
  • Red boxes represent files that exist in your computer/SD card
  • Green boxes represent tools.

There are 3 origin (disc, eshop, or console)
and there are 3 format (wud, encrypted or decrypted)

Each format can be converted to another (except wud, it can't be generated back from encrypted content).

What you want for loadiine is the decrypted content, the files and folders format.
If you already have the Encrypted content, you can use a program to decrypt them.
I recommend Cdecrypt (command line windows) or JNUStool (Java), you will have to provide the encrypted title key to decrypt your encrypted content and the common key too (to decrypt the encrypted title key).

pick one of the tool you want here :

Disc dumper :
- Private device (WiikeyU?)
wudump
Disc2app dumps Disc and extract to encrypted content file format directly to SD or USB!​

WUD compressors :

Wud decrypters / Disc extractors : (Requires disc key + common key)

WUD decrypter+Content decrypter (Requires disc key [+ common key])

Content decrypters (Requires title key [+ common key])
Cdecrypt (I didn't find the official v0.1 release url, website is offline, so I linked to v0.2)
JNUSTool

content encrypters (Requires common key)

NUS downloaders (Requires game's titleID [+ game's ticket])
NUSGrabber (no ticket used or generated), and a GUI
JNUSTool (no ticket used or generated)
UWizard (no ticket used or generated)
uTikDownloadHelper (use provided ticket to get NUS data). has a GUI.
FunkiiU (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided). has a GUI.

WiiU USB Helper (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided). Discontinued. a modded version can be found on reddit.
I probably forgot few of them here...​

NUS downloader+Content decrypter (Requires game's titleID + titleKey + common key)

Package installers:
WUP Installer (original from Crediar, not HBL compatible)
WUP Installer (HBL Version, from dimok), y mod, benoit934 mod, etc. (look on github for all the mods)
WUP Installer GX2​

File dumpers
1) - For loadiine only:
dumpiine (Launched game rpx and rpl only)
Loadiine xml dumper (launched game incomplete cos.xml and app.xml, for loadiine only)
ddd (Launched Game virtual link to Code, content and meta folder)

These tools can only dump incomplete code folder (.rpx .rpl app.xml cos.xml) from the RAM which can result in some issues.
Additionally, ddd is dumping an incomplete virtual folder provided by the console which is a merged of both game+updates together, producing a bad dump of a game which can't be repacked to encrypted format.
In most cases the dumped files are fine for e.g. loadiine or Cemu, but when you try to repack them into encrypted NUS Files, they won't work on console.
The .xml's are incomplete (for example the complete permission section in the cos.xml is missing) and unloaded rpl's are NOT dumped at all (the preload.txt isn't dumped either). A NUS downloader can be used instead to get and decrypt the complete and original files which can be repacked.
2) - individual file dumpers:
Saviine Backup/restore the launched game's savegame only. requires a computer's server running at the same time.
SaveMii Backup/restore multiple savegames slots directly from the console (no server side required). Requires Mocha CFW. Savemii mod may works with CBHC.​
3) - Full NAND Access:
WUP Server/Client
FSDumper
FT2SD
ftpiiU_everywhere

File writers:
WUP Server/Client
ftpiiU_everywhere
Thanks for this what looks to be a great guide.

1. Better be safe than sorry (newb alert), I'd rather rask where on the chart I would be (so what tools I'd be needing) if I wanted to extract wud files (all of them but one have a .key file with it) to WUP install files and
2. from Loadiine content to WUP install files

Side notes: I found somewhere on the internet a few keys (common, espresso ancast & starbuck ancast). Not too sure if any of these would come in handy at some point or if I need to extract some key from my own console.

Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
extract wud to app .... well on the center left, there's a red "wud" and a green "convert wud to app", and a center red app ....

convert loadiine to app ... well on the center right, there's a red "extracted code/content/content" (loadiine), and you want to use converted to get "app" on the center.

what you want is the "center" format, because you want "WUP", look there's one green with written "WUP" on it, it's supposed to be the one you want, so of course you need to get the needed format used by WUP, and there are arrows in all direction, and links corresponding to each green converters.

if the chart is hard to understand, I don't know how to help you more easily.
read what's written. "wii u disc" ... well ... I guess it means it's the DISC, etc.

you have a WUD and you want WUP ... follow the arrows !

Last edited by Cyan,

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
extract wud to app .... well on the center left, there's a red "wud" and a green "convert wud to app", and a center red app ....

convert loadiine to app ... well on the center right, there's a red "extracted code/content/content" (loadiine), and you want to use converted to get "app" on the center.

what you want is the "center" format, because you want "WUP", look there's one green with written "WUP" on it, it's supposed to be the one you want, so of course you need to get the needed format used by WUP, and there are arrows in all direction, and links corresponding to each green converters.

if the chart is hard to understand, I don't know how to help you more easily.
read what's written. "wii u disc" ... well ... I guess it means it's the DISC, etc.

you have a WUD and you want WUP ... follow the arrows !
Thanks. So with what you said, it indicated to use DiscU to convert the wud to wup...this seems to be a command line utility. It wants the key. All but 1 I have... so let's do the complex one, the one I don't have. Is this possible? Should I use common, espresso ancast or starbuck ancast keys or is this for something totally different (I know I'm being a pain, so sorry but I'd love to understand)...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to extract files from a disc format, you need the "disc encryption key". this is generally provided along with the WUD you download, or when extracting the disc to WUP the key is generated automatically along the wud file.
if you don't have that key, the wud is useless.

if you downloaded it, the key is either in a separate .txt file, .bin file, or written in the .nfo file.
based on the tool you use, it will require that information either in text or in binary. You have to learn how each program works, and what are their requirements.

if you have the disc, it's a lot simpler to just use a homebrew to dump the disc directly to needed files for WUP installer, skipping the wud format : disc2app

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Aglae Pheryl

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well I used DiscU (I first created an hex file for the key).
I now have a bunch (4) folders inside a root foler (WUP-P-AFDE) [BWT; this is a game I legally own, so this is just for the 'slow' learning curve...]

I am really not sure what to do next. If I refer to the chart, I should use Package Installer (provided I understood any of this).
I was expecting .app .h3 .tik .cert .tmd files to use with wupinstaller... I'm really sure sure I should use this extracted content as is, should I?
Again thanks very much for your patience.

Last edited by Aglae Pheryl, , Reason: typo

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DiscU has an option to extract in encrypted format (.app/.h3) instead of decrypted (Code/content/folder for loadiine)
from memory, I don't remember the exact option, but it should be something like "discU.exe -encrypted etc."
you need to type discU.exe alone in a command window, it should display the options. if it doesn't it's either the wrong version, or you need to read the release thread to learn the possibilities.

Last edited by Cyan,

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
DiscU has an option to extract in encrypted format (.app/.h3) instead of decrypted (Code/content/folder for loadiine)
from memory, I don't remember the exact option, but it should be something like "discU.exe -encrypted etc."
you need to type discU.exe alone in a command window, it should display the options. if it doesn't it's either the wrong version, or you need to read the release thread to learn the possibilities.
Well, that did it. Thanks so much. BTW, the option to extract was c (discu.exe game.key game.wud c)

It actually extracted the game to several folder:
2 folders with .app & .h3 and then a system folder holding folders 2 and 3 (each holding 3 files title.cert ; title.tik ; title.tmd).
I moved the .app & .h3 content to the game root folder on the sdcard install folder and added the 3 title files from the system/2 folder. I could easily install with WUD installer.

Not sure what the title files in system/3 would have done (files size are slightly different)

Anyway, thanks so much again for your patience and advice.

I'll play with this a while and then I'll be trying to convert loadiine content (seems like DiscU could be used as well if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks for your help once more.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, that's right, DiscU create multiple folders.
you need the folder which seems to be the good one (based on its size), I think it's usually system/2/
some very few games needed the one from /3/, but just try and if it doesn't work try the files from the other folder.

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi again,

I will be trying to convert loadiine content to use it with our Haxchi console...
Reading thegraph I can figure out the the content I have to install is the red centered square on the left (Raw Game Data (Code/Content/Meta)
The chart says I need the green tool (Raw File Writer)... What is it and how do I use it? (I need to be able to put this content onto the internal SD Card and install it with something right?)

Thanks again

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the tools are linked below the chart, to the corresponding section.
there are lot of different tools to do each action.

You don't use "raw file" at all if you want to install a game.
the raw file is used to mod a game already installed, for example replacing an existing file with another one, to add cheats, texture mods, or whatever mod.

what you want is :
1. NUSPacker program, to pack extracted folders (code/content/meta) into encrypted .app files
2. WUP Installer, to install the .app file into the console to be able to launch it with haxchi (there are a lot, I recommend either GX2 with a graphical user interface, or "y mod" with just text on screen, maybe more stable?)
and that's all.

Last edited by Cyan,

Aglae Pheryl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the tools are linked below the chart, to the corresponding section.
there are lot of different tools to do each action.

You don't use "raw file" at all if you want to install a game.
the raw file is used to mod a game already installed, for example replacing an existing file with another one, to add cheats, texture mods, or whatever mod.

what you want is :
1. NUSPacker program, to pack extracted folders (code/content/meta) into encrypted .app files
2. WUP Installer, to install the .app file into the console to be able to launch it with haxchi (there are a lot, I recommend either GX2 with a graphical user interface, or "y mod" with just text on screen, maybe more stable?)
and that's all.

Thanks. I do have the WUP installer already on the WiiU. It's the first step that causes issues.
I downloaded NUSPacker (followed the explanation from https://gbatemp.net/threads/nuspacker-pack-files-into-installable-packages.447689/) and also JNUSTool.

None of them have a GUI but furthermore none of the extracted content is something I can simply run through a command line. I supposed I missed a step somewhere.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never used it, I guess reading the readme, or the release thread should explain what to do.
let's take a look ....

Ok, I've read it and I don't see the difficulties, nor even any mention to JNUSTool.
All you need is the common key stored as hex file (binary) and named like requested.
you also need java installed, and type the given command line, by replacing the folders parts with path to your folders

JNUSTool has a GUI, just double click on the jar file, and you'll get a GUI to download game updates. enable "encrypted files" (or disable decrypt) to get the .app files instead of loadiine format.
but, you can use command line (very easy, and also has examples in the jnustool thread) to get other things than game updates, like full game or DLC, in .app file format directly instead of using NUSPacker.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that