Hacking The dark days of Vita homebrew are over – GPU usage in homebrew!

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Hi, you know me as replicashooter and I didn't write this article below:

http://wololo.net/2017/01/22/dark-days-vita-homebrew-gpu-usage-homebrew/

I <gasp> pirated it by virtue of copying and pasting it here (complete with a linkback) as I thought it was so awesome that I peed my pants a little bit and simply couldn't wait to share the good news.

Speaking of pants it appears that certain folks got their knickers in a twist as they only ever keep things legit and love it when others conform to their rules so let's give a warm round of applause for the original authors of all of your warez, I mean the article linked above.

Hugs and kisses - replicashooter

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Agreed this will be a huge boost to the vita emulator scene as it opens the door to accessing and using one of the most important components of the machine that will turn this into the ultimate portable retro console.

KawaiiAuroraA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
All Vita fans rejoice! Developer ‘xerpi’ who is probably most well-known for libVita2D has started dabbling around with libgxm! Libgxm is the Vita’s 3D graphics API

What does this mean?
In layman’s terms, it means that now, homebrew will be able to access the GPU thus we can expect to see ports of beefier software someday. This means that the days of having everything rendered by software may finally come to an end. Hardware acceleration could bring the Vita various emulators (such as the N64 and maybe Dreamcast) and more demanding homebrew ports/titles. libGXM is quite a complex API according to ‘Xerpi’ so it’s important that everyone does their best at being patient.

Xerpi has said, on Reddit, that he plans to help libretro which means that we could eventually see an N64 emulator up and running.

Awesome! Can I see what libGXM can do?
Actually, you can! Xerpi has kindly provided a demo VPK to show what libGXM can actually do! This makes it the 2nd Vita 3D homebrew after Yifan’s cube demo. The demo isn’t anything special but you can move around, rotate a cube and look in awe at the few lighting effects. Keep in mind, that right now, libGXM is not known well by any developers so development will be slow. You can install Xerpi’s demo right now on your HENkaku/taiHEN-enabled Vita to have fun messing around.

N.B: Please don’t bug Xerpi. He’s doing us a big favour by trying to work with a very complicated library.

Reddit link in which he announced what he’s doing: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/5pbdgo/having_fun_with_libgxm_psvitas_3d_graphics_api/

VPK download link: https://transfer.sh/167hk9/gxmfun.vpk

Github page to see what he’s up to: https://github.com/xerpi/gxmfun

http://wololo.net/2017/01/22/dark-days-vita-homebrew-gpu-usage-homebrew/

This is absolutely awesome news, look forward to this being unleashed on the scene as it will mean emulators come on in leaps and bounds, all aboard the Dreamcast/Vita hype train, choo choo mofos.

While I don't condone sharing news, I personally think that it's wrong to copy whole articles. Please mention the author's name (i.e me) and refrain from copying whole articles. Linking to a website is okay. Be as diligent as possible as writing content for websites is a mildly time consuming task.

Thanks,
Aurora

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you Aurora from wololo or did you just copy&paste her article here?

I'm afraid that they simply copied my article without even bothering to mention it's copied. Quite amazing how they didn't even change my writing style to at least look like they did something..

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeeah that's sort of a big no no, I didn't realize this was an exact copy-paste as I didn't read the Wololo article.

I've put the entire thing in quotes, and have shamed the user. :teach:

FidZknJ.gif

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
While I don't condone sharing news, I personally think that it's wrong to copy whole articles. Please mention the author's name (i.e me) and refrain from copying whole articles. Linking to a website is okay. Be as diligent as possible as writing content for websites is a mildly time consuming task.

Thanks,
Aurora

Really? You want to get pedantic over copying and pasting such great info from one site to another like some kind of info gestapo even though I linked back to the original article for anyone who wishes to know more? Really?

Well at least it got you to sign up here, welcome, relax, kick off your shoes, relax and wind your neck in, I'm sure you'll have fun here :rofl:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeeah that's sort of a big no no, I didn't realize this was an exact copy-paste as I didn't read the Wololo article.

I've put the entire thing in quotes, and have shamed the user. :teach:

FidZknJ.gif

Go one better and delete my account.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Really? You want to get pedantic over copying and pasting such great info from one site to another like some kind of info gestapo even though I linked back to the original article for anyone who wishes to know more? Really?

Well at least it got you to sign up here, welcome, relax, kick off your shoes, relax and wind your neck in, I'm sure you'll have fun here :rofl:
Please summarize in your own words, the essence of the news you are reporting. Please read the stickies in this forum for a guide. Simply copying the entire source article verbatim is lazy, and tantamount to plagiarism.

Proper USN Template
Discussion on Plagiarism

Thank you Urza for bringing this to my attention.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
There we go, I've edited the OP now.

Hopefully everyone should be happy. :lol:

And :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: about talk about plagiarism on a forum that is chock full of more pirates that a bootleg copy of Monkey Island on a galleon full of stolen treasure.

You people, phew, you certainly are amusing.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,
Reactions: pauloedsonjk

ma16v3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back to topic: Does this really potentionally improve emulators? Isn't the CPU more important for emulators?

Depends on the emulator, but anything that can be offloaded to the GPU should be. Some things I can think of right off the top of my head are 3d effects and 2d transparency effects in GBA games. For 3D intensive systems like PS1, this is going to be pretty big once devs figure out the Vita 3D lib.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've put the entire thing in quotes, and have shamed the user.
Nice work! :

Thanks,
Aurora

I'm a girl that's liked technology from day 1. Mostly interested in the PSVita/PSP scene but I've always modded my stuff when it's possible, that is :)

So this is you, I was wondering if that person was a member here, now I know. Nice to meet you. ^_^

Still I think is a good thing, I hope to see some nice homebrew games. But I really hope to see better increase in Emulation. Especially ones that isn't RetroArch. :ninja:

That Genesis plus emulator for Vita can play List Solar ROM, any emulator that can do that is good to me, but the sound quality is bad, and has no save state, or turbo, or anything a common emulator has. Where is the updates on that emulator? :blink:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Back to topic: Does this really potentionally improve emulators? Isn't the CPU more important for emulators?
Generally, for things like SNES and lower, virtually no GPU hardware acceleration is needed (as the systems are so lightweight compared to today's hardware) so having access to the GPU is not necessarily important for those which is why generally those emulators run pretty well on just about anything.

The GBA uses some 3D effects in some games which is why that's still "iffy" at times, so having GPU access would give a small boost to those more "demanding" GBA games.

But when we start getting into 3D emulation, like the PS1 or the N64, having access to the GPU will give a fairly high "boost" to performance since we can offload most of the GPU work from the CPU to the GPU. It's probably what will make N64 emulation playable on the Vita, and would likely make native PS1 emulation run a lot smoother on those demanding 3D games as well.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit