The Current State of Sub $200 Tablets Sucks @$$

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's exactly like the title says. I am highly disappointed with the sub $250 tablet market. For people wanting Android only, it might not be as bad. you can find one or two tablets in this range with more than 2GB of RAM (2GB being just enough for modern Android usage). The caveat with this is that they're all 10+ inch models. Are RAM modules simply not small enough to fit more than 2GB in a tablet of the 7-8 inch variety? Sorry, but anything above 8 inches is a bit too big for mobile gaming, unless you're simply playing a RTS or a "city builder".

If you want a Windows tablet or a hybrid with Android OS on the side, it's even worse. I understand using 32bit Win 10 to save on RAM usage but who the hell thought it was a good idea to keep using 2GB for these tablets? Hell, use 3 gigs if you have to but 2 gigs, while it might be great for the Android side is abysmal for Windows. I'd be able to run Overwatch on my hybrid if I didn't get kicked out after a few minutes for lack of RAM. Companies should use slightly slower RAM if they have to but we need to move past this 2GB B.S.

Continuing with my hybrid rant, can we PLEASE get some damn hybrids with Android 6.0? At least then I would't have to hack/root my tab just to get proper SD support. Android 5.0-5.1 is pure garbage, if you're an Android gamer with a respectable Android games collection. I get that some cuts have to be made to get these tablets under 200 but I also don't need a damn 1920x1200 screen. 1280x720 is perfectly fine, especially when I try to squeeze as much juice as possible by playing my games in either 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768 (depending on which option allows me to stretch the image properly). We are talking tiny screens here. I don't need max settings to get a game to look good on a tiny screen. If the Switch can get by with good looking games on a 720p screen, I don't see why other low end tablet makers don't follow suit.

Final thing. Can we get some damn batteries that work and the ability to simultaneously play and charge? If that means that we need to add another micro USB port purely for charging then I'm down with that! On the battery side, it's one thing to have a short battery life but when the battery stops charging at full, only a few months into owning a tablet, that's really bad! -also, let's not forget about fans and proper VENTING. I don't need a super slim tablet if it means that I get to have proper airflow and not have my fingers almost burn from holding a tablet for a while. What good is a slim tablet if the thing is only going to overheat? The sub 250 dollar tablet scene doesn't have to be garbage. It just feels like most tablet makers have given up and it's quite sad. OK. I'm done ranting. Someone feel free to chime in.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you looking at refurbished models? Worst that happens is you have to RMA and try again, you'll always get one that's good across the board.

Probably needless to say if you're looking for gaming I'd recommend something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA8R4M24838

2GB RAM, Tegra 3 quad-core for $125. Else there's a whole long list of other options under $250:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100171661 4016

Truth be told I'd go for the gusto, spend a bit more ($255) and get the Surface Pro for 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, and an Intel HD 4000:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD40M7923

Last edited by Xzi,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't like tablets, I find them repulsive, but here you can easily get tables under 180€ with even 8GB ram and a quad-core (at only 1GHz, but still), while they simply sacrifice the resolution (720p but on 8.1 inch screen) and use relatively cheap screens. Don't know how things are there, but I doubt you won't find something for cheap if you look hard enough, especially on sites like Amazon.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a "Cube Iwork 8 Air Pro" (what a mouthful). The chipset is fine for playing games but more RAM is needed. I would be more than happy to sacrifice screen resolution (and even an inch of the screen) for more ram, the same chipset and simultaneous play and charge. My current tab comes with Win 10 and Android 5 but I was able to find a Cyanogen, Android 6 ROM for it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I settled for an Acer Iconia W4. I like the fact that it has an 8 hour battery. As for gaming. I plan to stick with 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions. I see this as a compliment to my gaming PC not a replacement. similar to Switch docked (1080p) and Switch mobile (720p). Since this tab doesn't have a Android mode, I'll have to look into Bluestacks or moving the bulk of my Android games collection to my phone. Not a big deal in the long run. The biggest bite is the downgrade in processor but the tab does play most of the games I thought about. Team Fortress 2, Left for Dead 2 and Star Trek Timelines all play within reasonable means (according to YT videos) so I'm happy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.