The cons of a slot-1 only solution

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by grifta67, Feb 26, 2007.

Feb 26, 2007
  1. grifta67
    OP

Newcomer grifta67 Newbie

United States
    Afternoon everyone!

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a R4. Everyone on here is singing its praises, so I'm confident I'll be happy with it. I just wanted to verify I have all my facts straight on what I'll be missing out on.

The R4 interests me mainly on price. Therefore, I will most likely have just the R4, and no slot-2 equipment. This bums me out a bit that I can't run GBA games, but I don't play them too often so I can get over it. I'm a bit more bummed out that Opera won't work, as I'd love to have a mobile web solution with me all the time. Other than those two items, I can't find much specific info about what else I'd be missing out on. The general feeling is that most homebrew won't work with the R4. Are there any essential programs that I should be aware of before I make a final decision? I'd hate to get my R4 and then find out about the ultimate homebrew app that I can't use .

Thanks!

2. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    If Opera is really of importance for you and you're a tad dissapointed with the no GBA compatibility, but don't plan to play GBA too much, I think EZ-V with it's expansion pack is a good solution for you.
    http://www.bamboogaming.com/flash-cards/ez...v/prod_100.html
    http://www.bamboogaming.com/flash-cards/ez...k/prod_106.html
    EZ-V also has nearly perfect rom support, allows patching to support problematic roms on slower MicroSD cards and is more skinnable.
    Downsides are that the MicroSD slot isn't springloaded and is sideloaded (you need to take the cart out to take the MicroSD out) and I believe you need to update savelists manually. Also according to the compatibility list Prince of Persia doesn't seem to be compatible, but this might have been updated already, dunno.
    The Expansion allows you to use Opera, Rumble and it allows you to write a GBA Rom from your MicroSD cart to the Slot2 cart and play the GBA game.
    You need a DS Lite for the expansion pack at the moment as there is no GBA sized one unfortunately...

That homebrew is that bad on R4 is incorrect though, it wasn't good in the beginning, but that was with all new flashcarts cause they weren't made for that cart.
    With the new DLDI trend, homebrew will work fine with any FAT based flashcart of which the makers aren't to lazy to release a DLDI driver.
    There are some apps that haven't been updated for a while that may have incompatibilities if they need to update files, but the same goes for other slot1 carts...

3. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When patched with DLDI most homebrew games do work with the R4. Personally I would purchase the commercial web browser if you want it rather than buying another card only for that. You'd be assured of the best performance that way. I've heard that the throughput on the browser is pretty slow so I'm guessing that real use would be limited.

If you decide you want GBA games you can buy a slot-2 card later. The prices will probably go down in the next 6 months or so due the advances in slot-1 cards.

Other than that I have no problems with the R4. It plays every game, plays DPG movies, mp3's and homebrew. It's like having an i-pod with speakers that plays games. You won't regret the purchase.

4. grifta67
    OP

Newcomer grifta67 Newbie

United States
    You know, thats a good point. A R4 and the actual retail browser would be less than going with the EZ combo.

Good to hear that homebrew has improved. Is there a good "master list" of essential and cool apps and games?

Thanks for the tips guys!

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    the only con of a slot 1 device is that ......

YOUR TOO COOL FOR EVERYONE ELSE !

6. grifta67
    OP

Newcomer grifta67 Newbie

United States
    heh heh, I like being cool.

With DLDI, what percentage of homebrew works on the R4? I heard originally it was pretty weak, but it's gotten better. Is there any compatibility chart regarding homebrew? I just don't want to waste a bunch of time trying tons of homebrew that isn't compatible.

7. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I've heard R4 performs badly in homebrew games (ninjapass x9 beats it in this area only). All other homebrew should be okay with the DLDI. I swear there was a compatibility chart on the R4 compatibility wiki, but I don't seem to be able to see it.

edit: added a bit

8. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    Well, the major ones would be HereticDS and REIN. They don't work on R4. I can't imagine my life without them. So, I use my SC miniSD for them.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    no your wrong! older homebrew does NOT work on the R4 yes the latest games work withe DLDI patching but there is only 4 or 3 games available and that's poor compared to the palib library of homebrew games.